"plant a tree" email - Mothering Forums

#1 of 7 Old 02-17-2008, 12:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm not sure if this is the right spot to post this - I'll try in TAO as well just in case. But I wanted to caution the mamas here about an email I received recently from a friend through mamasource. It was seemingly innocent enough - one of those "we'll plant a tree for each mama who clicks the link" things. They also offered to check your email address book if you wanted to find other friends of yours that were already members of mamasource - and they wouldn't store your password was the only other instruction there. So I did the change password, check list, change password back thing. After they checked, they asked me if I wanted to send the plant-a-tree email to anyone and they automatically selected 4 people. I said no to 3, allowed one, and thought that was it.

However, they sent out invitations to almost everyone in my email address book without my permission. I received emails from non-mamas asking what it was about, which is how I knew it happened. An invite was sent to my (deceased) mother's account, too... so I KNOW I wouldn't have sent that there. Plus, I had two people tell me that just by clicking the no strings attached plant-a-tree link, they got signed up for daily newsletters from mamasource.

Email attempts to mamasource were first totally misread and then ignored. When I sent an email through my mom's account to get them to end her subscription, they sent one back asking me to reconsider. When I explained the situation, who I was, my personal email address, I'd really like to talk to someone so that this doesn't happen to others, etc, I just received a "we closed this account" email. My other friend who wrote them got much the same response.

I have no idea if they're actually planting trees or not - I hope so for all this. But if I can spare someone else the trouble that I'm going through with them - and the complete refusal on their part to discuss it - I'd like to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 02-17-2008, 08:55 AM

Wow - thanks for the heads up! How slimy of them!
#3 of 7 Old 02-17-2008, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Interesting. I somehow got on mamsource's list of people to annoy, it was related to a mama I had bought something from online. I was like Why did she give them my email? Maybe it was the same scenario as with you, they took her whole address book.

#4 of 7 Old 02-17-2008, 09:29 AM

WOW, Glad I didnt open the few links I got from friends....I just had a bad feeling about it...Thanks for posting.
#5 of 7 Old 02-17-2008, 10:38 AM

Something similar happened to me, though not with mammasource. My dad sent me some link to some mapping website that would show you where your friends are, or something like that. I clicked the link to check it out and as soon as I did it emailed my ENTIRE address book, including my old bosses and coworkers that I hadn't talked to in over a year

Not fun!

Liz

Loving WAHM/Student Mommy to DD (6.5) and DS (2.5)  

#6 of 7 Old 03-11-2008, 12:39 PM

There's more info about this scam, and a link back to this thread here:

http://mamasource.blogspot.com/

...and this blog entry has more detail on how this site works...
http://www.advicegoddess.com/archive...rows_on_t.html

In a nutshell, DON'T click on the links in these emails and DON'T log in to the mamasource website, and DO forward the "plant a tree" or "send a flower" emails to [email protected]

This kind of thing really pisses me off! Especially since they are using legit non-profits to try to harvest more email addresses to spam more people with so some smart-assed spam king in San Francisco named Artie Wu can get rich. Read the blog links above for more details on that.

I have also been getting spammed from something called BluBet which seems to be posing as a contact network site, suspiciously soon after getting spammed by a few women from mamasource.com . Maybe it's another email harvesting shell from the same guy.

Yuck.
#7 of 7 Old 03-11-2008, 10:28 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
The same thing happened to an acquaintence of mine. I received the mamasource email from her, though I hardly know her (via email). Then she sent out another email saying how she had only emailed it to her mom, but it took her entire address book hostage. What a creepy thing!

Happy mama to three DD's age 13
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, age 10.5
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, age 8
and DS, born January 6

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page