Do you grow non-GMO strawberries? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-22-2008, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Where can you get non genetically modified strawberries? Anyone able to find them locally? Have you ever seen them at a nursery?

I can't say that I've ever seen strawberry plants for sale that claim to be GMO free. Kinda scary, considering all the weird-o things that strawberries have been subjected to.

I just bought 10 plants and a hanging bag and am hoping they don't have like... artic fish in them. LOL. I'm serious. (It makes them frost tolerant!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2008, 09:26 PM

www.seedsofchange.com has some of the only ones I've seen. (if they are still even in stock) I am debating the price though! really you would think it's a no brainer.

ETA-ok I checked and they are being sold as organic (doesn't say anything about GMO, but organic = non GMO right? ) but I can't imagine seeds of change would sell ANYTHING at all GMO!

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
Old 02-22-2008, 11:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowmoon View Post
www.seedsofchange.com has some of the only ones I've seen. (if they are still even in stock) I am debating the price though! really you would think it's a no brainer.

ETA-ok I checked and they are being sold as organic (doesn't say anything about GMO, but organic = non GMO right? ) but I can't imagine seeds of change would sell ANYTHING at all GMO!
I would hope so... hmm, but I'm not positive. So if you do get gmo free strawberries and your neighbor has freaky strawberries, will they pollinate each other and be messed up after that? Or are the runners always going to be non-gmo. Can you tell I am not well read on strawberries? I never have good luck with them... (frost or me forgetting about them... but I DID have a newborn last year so that is my defense for not watering them.)
Old 02-22-2008, 11:10 PM

I don't think cross pollination is going to turn non GMO strawberries into GMO. but that's just what I think! I could be totally wrong! You could sign up for the seeds of change yahoogroup and that would be the perfect place for a discussion on this! or maybe another knowledgable mama will know here!

Old 02-22-2008, 11:52 PM

I haven't a clue. I don't even know where most of our strawberries came from... Got a few from a little old lady off freecycle one year (she was thinning), some from Home Depot or Lowe's, some from the local nursery, and some from my Tomato Lady. All runners though, not started from seed. I figure we grow 'em organically and call it good. Thinking the same thing about blueberries and asparagus and more raspberry canes - I just need to find an awesome, reputable place to buy them from. If nothing else, the homemade stuff that *might* have traces of GMO in 'em has got to be better than the store stuff, you know?

And I think frost tolerant just means the strawberries will come back after the winter. Ours do. And I have a tendency to forget to mulch them. Right now they're "mulched" with 2 feet of snow.

Wife to an amazing hubby, mother hen to four chicken3.gif 
(If you're curious, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, and yes, it's a busy house)
Old 02-24-2008, 03:59 AM

I grow Alpine or "Wild" strawberries, sometimes labeled Mignonette. They are a lot smaller than what we're used to, but they are so sweet and succulent, and supposedly have more of the beneficial chemicals than their larger cousins .

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

Old 02-24-2008, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post
I grow Alpine or "Wild" strawberries, sometimes labeled Mignonette. They are a lot smaller than what we're used to, but they are so sweet and succulent, and supposedly have more of the beneficial chemicals than their larger cousins .
I keep hearing that, but the alpine strawberries we've grown? Taste like dirt, not at all like a strawberry. Probably depends on your soil I suppose... I was all psyched up to try them when they started ripening, and yeah. Even the birds avoided plundering them.

Wife to an amazing hubby, mother hen to four chicken3.gif 
(If you're curious, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, and yes, it's a busy house)
Old 03-12-2008, 04:22 PM

has anyone ordered the seeds of change strawberries? do you think i's worth the price? how many should I get for a family of 3? (would like lots of extras to can and give away) or should I buy local (home depot/walmart/kmart are the only places local to me that sells them and I'm betting they are GMO)

Old 03-12-2008, 04:26 PM

Hrm. I don't know for sure, but I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that www.fedco.com is going GMO-free.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:38 PM

Please educate me - I didn't realize there were GMO strawberries on the market!
Old 03-12-2008, 06:21 PM

I read an article the other day that said Organic=NO GMO...but I can't be 100% sure from one article.

I really don't need 20 crowns...I wish they would sell them in smaller amounts. There's no way dh is gonna agree to $30 worth of strawberry crowns when we only need $10 worth. I'm container gardening for goodness sake.

Quote:
Please educate me - I didn't realize there were GMO strawberries on the market!
From what I understand, anything not labeled organic can be GMO without having to let you know. Fun, I know.

Kim, Wife to Michael, Homeschooling Mom to Hannah (13), Aidan (12), Brighton (8), and Oliver (5) and Ephraim (2) goorganic.jpgsaynovax.giffly-by-nursing1.giffemalesling.GIF 
Old 03-12-2008, 06:26 PM

I guess I need to be educated, too?

I bought quite a few from WalMart. I always order open-pollinated, non-GMO seeds from companies who have taken the Safe Seed Pledge, but the budget kind of required either cheap strawberries or none. So I got them.

I was really worried about them... I wrote down the variety names and looked them up online. Both were available from organic suppliers, so I took that to mean they were not GMO. (I got several "sequioa" and one pkg of "quinault.")

What do you think?

treehugger.gif SAHM with a precious toddler and the love of my life, expecting a new little one July 2014!
Old 03-12-2008, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by APBTlover View Post
I guess I need to be educated, too?

I bought quite a few from WalMart. I always order open-pollinated, non-GMO seeds from companies who have taken the Safe Seed Pledge, but the budget kind of required either cheap strawberries or none. So I got them.

I was really worried about them... I wrote down the variety names and looked them up online. Both were available from organic suppliers, so I took that to mean they were not GMO. (I got several "sequioa" and one pkg of "quinault.")

What do you think?
I think mine are going to come from walmart/home depot too :
I just can't justify $30 + shipping per 20 crowns! not with the losses we have here in the desert!

Old 03-12-2008, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmiepie View Post
I read an article the other day that said Organic=NO GMO...but I can't be 100% sure from one article.

I really don't need 20 crowns...I wish they would sell them in smaller amounts. There's no way dh is gonna agree to $30 worth of strawberry crowns when we only need $10 worth. I'm container gardening for goodness sake.

From what I understand, anything not labeled organic can be GMO without having to let you know. Fun, I know.
But are there really any on the market, I wonder? Because I've read that the GMO varieties are generally prohibatively expensive, so aren't available for home growers (which assumes that we'd want to grow them in the first place ). Is this not true of strawberries?
Old 03-12-2008, 06:45 PM

maybe I am a big old pessimist, but knowing what i know about GMO in the US food supply I would venture to say ALL non organic berries ARE GMO.

wish I knew for sure though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen'nZoe View Post
But are there really any on the market, I wonder? Because I've read that the GMO varieties are generally prohibatively expensive, so aren't available for home growers (which assumes that we'd want to grow them in the first place ). Is this not true of strawberries?

Old 03-12-2008, 06:47 PM

btw how are you container gardening strawberries? just reg strawberry pots? will they grow in hanging baskets? do you plant 1-2 crowns per basket then? I'd venture for the $30 crowns if I could gurantee to grow them indoors in pots (we get lots of sun through the windows)

Old 03-13-2008, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmonter View Post
I keep hearing that, but the alpine strawberries we've grown? Taste like dirt, not at all like a strawberry. Probably depends on your soil I suppose... I was all psyched up to try them when they started ripening, and yeah. Even the birds avoided plundering them.
There are several breeds of so-called "wild" strawberries. At least two of them produce berries which are not worth eating, and I would guess that's what you got (I've seen them sold as ground cover). The breed I have produces extremely succulent berries.

Quote:
btw how are you container gardening strawberries? just reg strawberry pots? will they grow in hanging baskets? do you plant 1-2 crowns per basket then? I'd venture for the $30 crowns if I could gurantee to grow them indoors in pots (we get lots of sun through the windows)
I hate strawberry pots. They are too confining for most things, and especially for strawberries which reproduce through runners. Not to even mention that it is extremely difficult to keep the soil uniformly watered, or to prevent the soil from just washing out of the pouches. My strawberries are just in a rectangular planter. I plant them fairly close together (like 2-3 inches), and during the summer the dirt stays nicely shaded. I do have to divide them every year or two (I should do it every year, but usually it's every 2). In the spring (like now), I clean out the dead plants and stems, and they will start producing again. In fact, there was already a ripe berry on one of the plants last week before I went out of town.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

Old 03-13-2008, 04:57 PM

Quote:
but I can't imagine seeds of change would sell ANYTHING at all GMO!
I have wondered this too. When big companies buy up little ones, do you assume they use their big-biz practices all across the board?

M&M Mars owns Seeds of Change and I am assuming they use yucky GMOs on their candy bars and such LOL
Old 03-13-2008, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radish View Post
I have wondered this too. When big companies buy up little ones, do you assume they use their big-biz practices all across the board?

M&M Mars owns Seeds of Change and I am assuming they use yucky GMOs on their candy bars and such LOL

I assume M&M manufactures thier processed foods. do you really think they are involved in growing and seed collecting, distributing though? I thoughts that's where thier organic growers came in? I am 99% sure the seed, plants they sell are in fact non GMO (certified organic).

Old 03-13-2008, 06:16 PM

I dont know. I always *assume* that once a big biz buys up a small biz they implement their bottom-line $$$ practices. Hopefully I am wrong

I really have no idea and have always wondered. Especially since so many small of my favorite small biz (like bath & body care) get bought up. Like, Odwalla and Naked Juice - do you think Pepsi and Coke changed much to these biz after they bought them??
Old 03-13-2008, 07:00 PM

I am going to post some of these awesome questions over of the seedsofchange email list and see what type of responses I get. I will post back if anyone is interested.

especially the non GMO= organic

and what practices Mars,inc. might use/ affect growing.

I was under the assumption that mostly all fruits and veggies grown and imported to the USA were GMO unless certified organic. I hope I'm wrong!!!

Old 03-13-2008, 07:08 PM

yes pls post back with any info.

i am thinking i should post over in activism as well.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:06 PM

Any updates?

Any other places to get organic strawberry crowns? That it is not too late this year.

Stephanie married to Jerry  partners.gif  mama to  modifiedartist.gif (10) and superhero.gif(7) and 3rdtri.gif
Old 04-09-2008, 10:20 PM

Yes, organic means, among other things, GMO-free.

Organic strawberries:

http://www.organic-growers.com/bfarm...erbs_trees.htm

http://www.mountainvalleygrowers.com...rawberries.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by radish
I dont know. I always *assume* that once a big biz buys up a small biz they implement their bottom-line $$$ practices. Hopefully I am wrong
I stopped buying from Seeds of Change when they switched to plastic seed packets and claimed it was because of the environment. I'm used to big mainstream businesses using plastic and claiming it's better for the environment, but I was surprised to see a small organic company pull the same stunt. Now that I know they were bought out by M&M Mars... THAT EXPLAINS IT!

-Alice, SAHM to dd (2001) and ds (2004) each of whom was a homebirth.jpg, who each self-weaned at 4.5 years bfolderchild.gif, who both fambedsingle2.gif'd, who were bothcd.gif, and both: novaxnocirc.gif.   Also, gd.gif, and goorganic.jpg!

User Tag List