Mothering Forum banner

How to get rid of Poison Oak?

726 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  rrr 
#1 ·
I would like to know if there is an environmentally safe way to get rid of Poison Oak. It's in our backyard and my dh, dd and neighbors have all been infected by it.

I would hate to have to resort to RoundUp, but we need this out of here. It's not even in a huge area. Just the size of a long flower bed.

Any suggestions?

#2 ·
I am not familiar w/poison oak but have dealt w/poison ivy in the past.

There was a thread earlier this summer on eradication of poison ivy. The discussion got a bit heated, but it may help you decide what to do.

Personally, as much as I abhor poisons, if everyone is already having reactions, I'd want it out of there asap, and yes, that means using roundup.

#3 ·
I have heard of folks having success with finding the roots and dumping boiling water on them several times.

I am majorly allergic to poison ivy so I am a no holds barred kinda gal when it comes to that.

I would try the boiling water first IF it is just a little bit. If you have a whole stand then I second the roundup idea. Roundup does break down.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.