Zone 6, 7, 8 Gardeners, Let's get going! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 199 Old 03-15-2008, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm in Zone 6a (Boston, MA) and I've got my seedlings going. I am so excited that Spring is on the horizon. We are still a bit away from last frost, as I am reminded today by the rainy, snowy, nasty weather.

What is everyone else up to, seedlings? Planting outdoors? What's growing?

Non Practicing Midwife, going back to school! Mamma to my 3 loves, living each day to the fullest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 199 Old 03-15-2008, 02:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I've always considerd us in zone 7... but after a little looking looks like we are right on the border of zone 6a and 6b

http://www.usna.usda.gov/Hardzone/ushzmap.html

I figure last frost around here is April 15

Lets see... what I have planted in the ground
snow peas, sugar snap peas, radishes, lettce, spinach, beets, onion sets, cabbage and broccoli plants.

I've almost got all my beds turned over and have coverd a couple with plastic so that the ground warms up a little and keeps things dry so I can plant a tad earlier.

You can see my early march garden pictures in the link below, need to get some more posted of what I've done the last week.
#3 of 199 Old 03-15-2008, 05:12 PM

6 here. I'm getting a slow start this year. I have NOTHING done. I did order my seeds and as soon as they get here I will catch up to you guys. I visited my dad yesterday and was jealous to see he turned over his garden and has the rototiller out too!
I am looking for an organic seed starter mix, does anyone have something they like? I hear good things about gardensalive. I'm thinking of mixing my own soilless mix for my indoor stuff if I can't find something soon.

Jessie. Mama to bikenew.gif(7) : broc1.gif(4) and : toddler.gif22 mo 

#4 of 199 Old 03-15-2008, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustLia23 View Post
I'm in Zone 6a (Boston, MA) and I've got my seedlings going. I am so excited that Spring is on the horizon. We are still a bit away from last frost, as I am reminded today by the rainy, snowy, nasty weather.

What is everyone else up to, seedlings? Planting outdoors? What's growing?

Woohoo for Boston!! Yeah, the snow today was ridiculous!!!!

My seeds are starting to sprout, yipee!! Sunflowers, tomatoes, squash- a bunch of different kinds, cucumbers, bell peppers, hot peppers, yellow tomatoes, and herbs. All of the other cold loving seeds are waiting patiently to be planted outside. Hopefully I will get out there and start some lettuce, spinach, beets, and carrots.

I'm soooo freaking ready!!!!

wife to DH 2/03, mama to DS 3/03 & DD 1/09
#5 of 199 Old 03-15-2008, 08:42 PM

I'm in zone 6a. I haven't started yet but I'm planning on it this week!

Kathleen SAHM to Jade 10/14/03, Aiden 2/2/06, and Hunter 5/14/09 Wife to Rob 3/28/03
I'm new to: treehugger.gif sewmachine.gif  chicken3.gif
#6 of 199 Old 03-15-2008, 08:51 PM

I posted this on the food growing thread but I'm so excited I just can't help myself....

We've got arugula sprouting in a coldframe outside. Looks like we have romain and red leaf sprouting too. Yay! :

DP's out there now putting together another box for us. We'll put a trellis on it and plant peas - hopefully tomorrow!

We're in Boise - 6a or 6b - I don't know which exactly.
#7 of 199 Old 03-15-2008, 09:11 PM

I am in zone 8, just taking a break at the moment from some spring clean-up. I planted some snow peas, chard, mesclun, radishes & lettuce in February in a cold frame. They are all up and cookin at the moment. Then I planted some pretty red leaf lettuce, a second planting of green leaf, more radishes & chard last week. I moved the cold frame (just an old bubble skylight that fits over my raised beds) at the same time and planted some beets, spinach & more of the red leaf lettuce & snow peas. My garden supply store just got in some walla walla sweet sets, and I will put those in probably this week. I also had some corn salad come up that I forgot about planting last fall. It's actually very tasty!

Dh just helped me move one of the beds from a shady spot to a sunnier place (after losing a 120' Douglas Fir in a wind storm last winter, it's amazing how much more sun gets through!)

Thanks for posting the photos. The garden looks great!
#8 of 199 Old 03-15-2008, 09:25 PM

6 here. Not putting anything out until mid April. I am doing square foot gardening for the first time. I am excited!

afro.jpg
#9 of 199 Old 03-15-2008, 09:30 PM

I'm 6b/7a, but we are moving to our new house at the end of May. It will probably be the end of June until we are settled enough to garden, so I will have to see what I can do.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#10 of 199 Old 03-15-2008, 11:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm in zone 7b, but I just put all my stuff out this week. I just found out that our safe date is not until April 15.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do... the weather is really nice here.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#11 of 199 Old 03-16-2008, 03:14 AM

I'm supposedly in zone 8, but 7 is more accurate (Sunset zone 6). I have bought a few starts and some of my stuff from last year is either still alive or sprouting on its own. Otherwise I haven't done anything yet.
#12 of 199 Old 03-16-2008, 03:31 AM

8b/9a here (sunset 19) ...odd little microclimate

My lettuce and chard is doing well, I can get at least a huge bowl of greens a day without the plants looking any different, and spinach is finally looking promising...my fruit trees are in bloom and I see ityy bitty baby apples starting. I set my tomato and peppers out covered with milk jug greenhouses...of course tonight we get a random cold front with drizzle serves me right for being impatient!

I went to the nursery earlier and ended up picking up an asian eggplant, cinnimon basil, a "Big Bertha" pepper ( I have "CA Wonder seedlings I started) and a beautiful orange tomato 'Oxheart'...I swear if I had room I'd grow at least 10 varieties!

If the ground isn't to soggy tomorrow I want to set out my kale and broccoli I started indoors, and throw some radishes in between the tomatos/peppers. I can't wait till April when I can plant watermelons for the first time.
#13 of 199 Old 03-16-2008, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquarian View Post
I'm in zone 7b, but I just put all my stuff out this week. I just found out that our safe date is not until April 15.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do... the weather is really nice here.
what all did you plant? you could try getting some plastic jugs and bottles, cut the bottoms off and put them over top of plants that you are cold sensative. leave the caps off the jugs if it is sunny and warrm. Can also use sheets to cover things with at night or during colder days, even if the seeds haven't sprouted yet. if the day is cold and chilly then shoul leave them on. may also want to put some sticks in the ground to keep the sheets up off the ground in case of rain so it doesn't get matted down. can also use plastic to cover with, got to be somewhat careful with it though if the sun is really beating down, don't want to roast all your little seedlings and also you will have to watch the moisture of the ground since water can't get through the plastic. better to use clear plastic to let light through, but could use black if you were only covering at night.

just watch the weather and see what the temps will be at night and go from there, you might not actuall have a frost that will kill the plants and seedlings, some seeds might get hurt and not grow but most likely you will be okay unless there is a hard freeze.
#14 of 199 Old 03-16-2008, 07:07 PM

I'm in 6b (southern New Jersey) and this is my first full year with my new garden - I just put it in last August. I used to have a huge garden in my old house, but then had to move to an apartment. My landlord told me to "just go ahead and dig up stuff" so I did! :-)

Today I laid down bunches of newspaper on the garden, watered it, and then put liquorice root mulch on top. This is the first time I've ever done newspaper mulching, and I'm excited about it because I have a big week problem, and also no easy access to water. Hopefully all the mulch will help with both issues somewhat.

I also planted peas and Scarlet Lady runner beans today, as well as some lettuce and arugula. Once my seed order comes I'll plant some sweatpeas for color (before it gets too hot for them), and start some seeds indoors.

-Katy
#15 of 199 Old 03-16-2008, 08:32 PM

We have our application in at an apartment complex that offers garden plots for $10 a year. We don't know exactly when we are moving yet, but between now and May. We also don't know how big the garden plots are yet. I was told be someone who lives there because of the lack of interest they usually end up give you extra plots so they can be used. We are in Zone 6.

I'm completely clueless about gardening so will be lurking and probably asking some questions soon.
#16 of 199 Old 03-16-2008, 09:46 PM

CA - 7a here.

ive started a lot of seedlings. DH is building my boxes TOMORROW (he promised!)
4 8x4s and a few containers.

i still need to build a deer proof fence too. ack! so stressful!!
#17 of 199 Old 03-16-2008, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radish View Post
CA - 7a here.

ive started a lot of seedlings. DH is building my boxes TOMORROW (he promised!)
4 8x4s and a few containers.

i still need to build a deer proof fence too. ack! so stressful!!
Good luck with that one. Those suckers can jump really high. How about a natural deterrent? I understand they don't like the smell of citrus.

afro.jpg
#18 of 199 Old 03-16-2008, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Good luck with that one. Those suckers can jump really high. How about a natural deterrent? I understand they don't like the smell of citrus.
Apparently ours don't like the smell of dogs! That's the only thing I can figure, because we have a 5' fence up, which I know they can clear, but have never had them cross over. We saw a mama and her baby out there yesterday, but so far in two years no nibbling of the veggie garden. They sure cleared out all my cosmos in the front yard last year though!
#19 of 199 Old 03-17-2008, 09:37 AM

im in Mass. also. I did get out yesterday and rake up the yard, good thing its really cold this morning. I did notice a few of my garlic starting to pop out. LOVE IT. I havent started much eles yet. I did give my compost pile a good stir , hopefully it gets some warmth on it to start cooking.
#20 of 199 Old 03-17-2008, 04:28 PM

Zone 7 here! We had a freeze last year April 30th, so people seem to be hesitant this year to put things out. I only did one 4'x4' plot last year, but have plans to add in 4 more raised beds and two flower/herb gardens along the front and back porch/walkway. I'm going to work on all this between now and mid-end of April. I don't have any place in my tiny house to start seeds, so I'll be loading up on seedlings from a small local farm...and supplementing with direct-sewn seeds. I'm hoping to beat the squash vine borer this year, and definitely planting more okra! I only had one tree last year and it thrived, but didn't produce quite enough for all our wants LOL. I'm excited to be expanded and really hope things go well this year... it's only my second year gardening and I have so much to learn!

~S~ Mom to W ('04) & D ('05) & in April
#21 of 199 Old 03-17-2008, 11:17 PM

Subbing! Zone 7, I haven't done much! I am right now trying to choose drought tolerant varieties of tomatoes, basil, greens, jalepeno, sweet potatoe . . . But I need guidance on what to plant together, etc.

I am also planting rare and endangered medicinal herbs in a plot and also we have a plot of garlic and shallots going right now. We also have a larger plot for the three sisters.

I am hoping! If anyone has advice on what varieties to plan in the South East, I would love some advice!
#22 of 199 Old 03-18-2008, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightheart View Post
what all did you plant?
Sorry for not getting back to you earlier. I've got peppers, 1 or 2 tomatoes (roma, cherry), 1 zuccini plant, and one strawberry plant. My gardening uncle says that I should just start over. If anything grows, that's great, if not, I'll have new seeds that I can start about now. what do you think?

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#23 of 199 Old 03-19-2008, 08:08 AM

Subbing, zone 6. I'm just getting started this year, running a little late, but really starting to feel the itch. Last year, we moved in July, so I didn't plant much of anything, but the year before, I had beautiful containers of tomatoes, peppers, and basil. In the new house, I can have a proper kitchen garden (though small), and I have to get my act together!
#24 of 199 Old 03-19-2008, 10:56 AM

*sigh*... so it rained all day and all night here. I doubt any of my plants made it. I'm going to peek in this morning before going to work.

#25 of 199 Old 03-19-2008, 03:17 PM

Theyre still ALIVE!!!! Wahooo!

They do kind of look worse for the wear, and I don't think the basil made it, but still!!! I'm so excited!

#26 of 199 Old 03-19-2008, 04:20 PM

Hi we're 6b and it's been pretty brisk here during the day (40's mostly) still but we're getting lots of rain. Snowdrops are almost done, crocuses are in full bloom, the first daffodils ("goblet" and "pay day") are about 1 week from blooming, and tulips are peeking up (weeks from actually blooming though).

I started pansies in my container pots. Couldn't wait. They look awfully chilly in the mornings, but perk up by noon. Not sure if they're going to last or not.

Mostly I am in the process of clearing the site of our future vegetable garden and preparing the beds for spring. I love this time of year for the heavy lifting of garden work - clearing old vines, mulching, etc. because there's not much else to be done in the gardens and the soil is thawed enough to work with a little.
#27 of 199 Old 03-19-2008, 05:15 PM

I am zone 7 and planning to start seeds tomorrow! I'm going to try the square foot gardening/lasagna gardening thing this year because I am 25 weeks pregnant and don't feel up to digging our clay. So now I have to figure out the cheapest way to build the beds. I'm open to suggestions!
#28 of 199 Old 03-20-2008, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinahx View Post
I am also planting rare and endangered medicinal herbs in a plot and also we have a plot of garlic and shallots going right now. We also have a larger plot for the three sisters.
!
Where did you get the seeds for the medicinal herbs? I was thinking about starting a plot like that, but didn't know where to get seeds.

<>< Alison
#29 of 199 Old 03-20-2008, 12:43 PM

Okay so re: lasagna: I found that blank newsprint is $2/roll from a local newspaper . . .

And re: medicinal herbs, I am ordering from Horizon Herbs!
#30 of 199 Old 03-20-2008, 01:46 PM

I hadn't thought about planting medicinal herbs but that is a great idea. This will be our first year gardening and are not sure how big our plot will be yet.

dinahx and others what would you suggest for some easy to grow medicinal herbs that would cover basic/common needs?

Thanks!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page