Beans for drying - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 03-17-2008, 11:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'd like to try growing beans for drying. So far we've only grown bean that we eat fresh or freeze.

Does anyone have any tips or favorite varieties?

We've had pretty good luck with beans like Provider and Royal Burgundy.

Bridget. Momma to DD (4), expecting DS - 9/09, wife to SAHD. Gardener, coffee addict, urban dweller.
#2 of 8 Old 03-19-2008, 05:04 PM

I did black-eyed peas (I know not a bean, but I dried it ) and lima beans. We grew them to give to the goats. They were easy. I want to try some new ones this year. Not sure what. Looking at the moment.

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

And 3rdtri.gif with #3 bigeyes.gif Due in August 2013!!!

#3 of 8 Old 03-20-2008, 01:25 PM

I grew trail of tears,christmas limas,mother stollard and true cranberry last year.They were all yummy and easy.
#4 of 8 Old 03-21-2008, 09:07 PM

I've grown garbanzo, Jacob's cattle, kidney, black turtle, (and a couple others that I can't remember at the moment).

My biggest tip is to leave them on the plant until they are REALLY brown and dry. It's much easier to collect them once they are dry rather than harvest them too soon and then deal with having to find a good place to dry them out if they're still damp when harvested.

Here's a fun site for bean seeds:
http://www.vermontbean.com

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#5 of 8 Old 03-21-2008, 11:43 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for all the suggestions. This gives me a good mix. We have a seed place in town that I really like, so I will probably compare these with what they have available.

They sell seeds by the 1/4 oz, on up. They serve gardeners and some small local farmers, and their bulk seed (and spice) prices are good.

Bridget. Momma to DD (4), expecting DS - 9/09, wife to SAHD. Gardener, coffee addict, urban dweller.
#6 of 8 Old 03-22-2008, 02:10 PM

How much space/how many plants do you need to make it worth it? I use tons of dried beans, and would love to try some varieties they don't carry in the market here, but I'm not sure I have enough space to grow them. Are they more or less productive than shell peas?
#7 of 8 Old 03-25-2008, 06:35 PM

:

Stephanie married to Jerry  partners.gif  mama to  modifiedartist.gif (10) and superhero.gif(7) and 3rdtri.gif
#8 of 8 Old 03-25-2008, 09:59 PM

They are not nessisaraly a traditional dried bean, but I've let scarlet runner beans rippen all they way and dry and they were quite tasty. I like that I can eat them as snap beans and dried and they are a very pretty plant too.

Let there be beauty and strength, power and compassion, honor and humility, mirth and reverence within you.)0(

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page