Container, Balcony, Patio & other urban "small space" gardeners - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-01-2008, 08:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hmm. Can I DO carrots in containers? Does anyone know -- and if you can, what kind of container?

I wouldn't have thought you could do Radishes in a container, but now that I think about it I guess I can't see why not.

I'm totally out of space in my 12x18 community garden, and short of staging a hostile take over of the bed next to me I don't think I'm going to get radishes or carrots or beans this year unless I can stick them in containers!

Spending all of my money and time on this wild, wild life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2008, 11:13 PM

Beans, radishes and carrots can be done in containers, just choose smaller varieties. Go for it!

ATTENTION!
ATTENTION!
ATTENTION!
ATTENTION!

My purple pepper I was so worried about has a pepper growing that I missed because I was looking at the leaves.

/doofus

I would've done the community garden this year but my kid's would've had to come with me and they would've eaten everything off other's plants while waiting for me.
Old 06-02-2008, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captivatedlife View Post
DH and I are in waaaaaaaaay over our heads. :

We have 4 tomato plants, will have 4 containers of salad/spring mix, 2 jalapeños in 1 pot, 2 sweet peppers in 1 pot, basil, thyme, rosemary, 1 cherry tomato in a hanging planter, 1 snap peas in a hanging container, and will have 2 edible flower mixes also in hanging containers. A lot of these were free from my church. If they weren't we wouldn't do it.

Pictures here http://fullofgrace-eviesblog.blogspot.com/

We enjoyed our time.
Oh man, the table thing you built was such a great idea. I'm going to have to yonk that - while everything's growing, I keep worrying that my plants aren't getting enough light and will be too leggy. Maybe next year we will do more hanging baskets...
Old 06-02-2008, 01:50 PM

Thanks for thinks in the original post. I love the Path to Freedom/Urban Homesteader site. My property is the same size as there's and I'm slowly working at converting a lot of it to food gardening.
Old 06-02-2008, 05:18 PM

I'm excited to hear about the radishes- I just planted some yesterday. I posted on my blog about my garden. Again. I think I'm becoming obsessed. I am so excited about the space I have to grow with. I don't think I'm doing it justice - but I don't think my pocketbook could handle much more! We did it inexpensively - but still container gardening is a lot of work because the most important part - soil - you don't get for free! But it will be there next year!

My blog http://fullofgrace-gb.blogspot.com/

~ Kim

mama to E (01-2007) and wife to C

Old 06-02-2008, 06:00 PM

Kim, my radishes are better today than yesterday, it's very fast. This morning I have one excellent carrot sprout and KABOOM my lettuce has sprouted like mad. I just went to the library and brought home two tons of gardening books. I have the bug.

How's your jalapeno? Mine has it's first bloom today.
Old 06-02-2008, 06:05 PM

:

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
Old 06-03-2008, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahGuinn View Post
How's your jalapeno? Mine has it's first bloom today.
I'm so jealous! We have (very tight) buds. My tomatoes are starting to flower - I love the idea of growing things. I hope they work - I'm doing a ton of research, but I still don't feel like I"m doing enough.

And I'm in love with Path to Freedom. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE. It's what started me thinking - why not just GO. Do it now. Live as much as I can now - in a condo and worry about buying a house and what I want with that later. I'm still saving money - but I'm also growing NOW.

~ Kim

Old 06-03-2008, 07:39 PM

My radishes are completely out of control. I'm going to have to post on craigslist for people to come get some because I stupidly planted the whole packet thinking that only a certain amount would sprout.

I bought eight new kinds of seeds today and a bunch of terra pots that are made from rice husk and totally biodegradable in about 6 or 7 years, very very cheap at Target. I'm shameless.

Once you do have flowers on your pepper, remember to give them a little shake for pollenization or however it's spelled.
Old 06-04-2008, 04:48 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:

I bought eight new kinds of seeds today and a bunch of terra pots that are made from rice husk and totally biodegradable in about 6 or 7 years, very very cheap at Target. I'm shameless.

Once you do have flowers on your pepper, remember to give them a little shake for pollenization or however it's spelled.

I'll have to look for those pots at Target. I wast there and didn't see them.

I never pollinate my peppers. We've got bees and I guess they do all the work for me.
Old 06-04-2008, 04:51 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Oh, I should tell what I'm planting.

So far I have:

In Earthbox 1: Sweet 100 Tomatoes
Orange Bell Peppers
Yellow Bell Peppers

In Earthbox 2: Sugar Baby Watermelon
Canteloupe

In container 1: Sungold Tomato

I need to get a few more containers so I can do the rest of my watermelon seedlings, another pepper or two, and some herbs.
Old 06-04-2008, 05:05 PM

Quote:
I'm going to have to post on craigslist for people to come get some
I'll take some!:

Pictures people! I want to see more of what you're doing!

...please...

~ Kim

Old 06-04-2008, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethNC View Post
In Earthbox 1
So, I'll show my ignorance - what is an earthbox?

~ Kim

Old 06-06-2008, 03:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Great thread!!

I'm container gardening for the second year now. I have a large balcony facing southwest (how lucky am I!).

Last year I did really good with beans, onions, and carrots from seed, and a tomato plant purchased.

This year, I got three bean varieties, onions, heirloom tomatoes, onions, heirloom peppers, two varieties of carrots, broccoli, and a blueberry bush.
::

Check out my radio blog, Pagan Musings.
I'm a head-covering witchy mama to DS ('06) and DD ('10) with DH, Stormie, a Heathen breadwinning daddy.
Old 06-06-2008, 11:56 PM

I've taken over a strip of groud between my parking spot and my neighbor's garage. It was about 5 to 6 inches deep and I made it about 10 inches deep. Dup out all the old soil and glass and crap, put it (minus trash) into the compost and transplanted everything that was outgrowing it's pots. That I had room to move. It's all in one little spot now and no more moving pots around the front yard to catch sun, I get 4-7 hours of direct sunlight in this spot if I park out front on the street. Big good fabulous idea, because the front street is shaded and my car has no a/c.

All in all, completely fabulous. I have a lot going on in this small space. Seven tomatoes, butter lettuce, GA collards (I was homesick,) brocolli, beets, carrots, peppers, mint, cilantro, jalapeno, flat leaf parsley, chamomile, dill, sweet basil, radishes out the butt and I think that's it.

There just happened to be tornadoes today after I planted them, but they made it through. I have a lot of helicopter pods to pick out in the AM though, as the pics show.

Old 06-07-2008, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captivatedlife View Post
I'll take some!:

Pictures people! I want to see more of what you're doing!

...please...
If you are anywhere near me you are welcome to the bounty of radishes and beets I have as little seedlings right now.
Old 06-07-2008, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfcat View Post
This year, I got three bean varieties, onions, heirloom tomatoes, onions, heirloom peppers, two varieties of carrots, broccoli, and a blueberry bush.
::
I would LOVE to see pictures of your blueberry bush!
Old 06-07-2008, 03:23 PM

I claim this thread as my blog.

I happened across a yard sale of plants today and brought home a bag of organic plant food, a bleeding heart, a raspberry bush, a blossoming tomatillo, and a roma for $4.00. All potted now but I haven't done the plant food because we're about to bike to a birthday party.

My purple pepper has two new peppers starting! I transplanted the beets and radishes yesterday and they, if possible, look even happier to be in the ground. My tomatoes are worrying me though but we're just getting into the 80's here in MKE and I'm hoping that helps. The carrots all sprouted up overnight, too. They like the weather as well.

I'm such a goober but I've never successfully eaten anything but tomatoes from my own garden.

A question about tomatillos though, the stalks are so thin and tall and the blooms are at the very top, it seems doomed to break. Is this standard?
Old 06-07-2008, 08:39 PM

Quote:
I've taken over a strip of groud between my parking spot and my neighbor's garage. It was about 5 to 6 inches deep and I made it about 10 inches deep. Dup out all the old soil and glass and crap, put it (minus trash) into the compost and transplanted everything that was outgrowing it's pots. That I had room to move. It's all in one little spot now and no more moving pots around the front yard to catch sun, I get 4-7 hours of direct sunlight in this spot if I park out front on the street. Big good fabulous idea, because the front street is shaded and my car has no a/c.

All in all, completely fabulous. I have a lot going on in this small space. Seven tomatoes, butter lettuce, GA collards (I was homesick,) brocolli, beets, carrots, peppers, mint, cilantro, jalapeno, flat leaf parsley, chamomile, dill, sweet basil, radishes out the butt and I think that's it.

There just happened to be tornadoes today after I planted them, but they made it through. I have a lot of helicopter pods to pick out in the AM though, as the pics show.

I love your use of space! Looks GREAT!

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

Old 06-09-2008, 03:18 PM

Thanks.

We've been having horrible storms and tornados nearby so I had to get creative to keep things from getting the crap beat out of them (after rescuing the two collards that were beaten down to their roots.)

We went to Home Depot and bought a down spout for $5 and fixed the stinking neighbor's gutter that was the worst offender. Then, I got all the windows from the basement that my landlord put down there after replacing them with newer ones. I've made a little greenhouse of sorts to protect them. The tomatillas and the peppers apparently love this set up, I have five peppers growing on my purple pepper plant and five/six tomatillas. I'm going to have to build some sort of cage for it, it's going to be top heavy.

These are all good things to see because I paid $6.00 a pound for my son's peppers yesterday at the co-op for organic.
Old 06-11-2008, 02:20 PM

This is my first time doing a container garden. I usually plant a huge garden and then get overwhelmed and end up with a huge weed garden. I decided to try to container garden this year so that I could keep up with it. I really think that this is the way to go for me. I took some pictures.

Here are two cucumbers and a zucchini. I am planning to use the deck as a trellis for the cucumber. I love zucchini so I just got the biggest pot I had and decided to try it.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u...s/IMG_0539.jpg

This is my row of pots out on the deck. There are 3 tomatoes in there which are surrounded by lettuce right now. I have 2 sweet red pepper plants, 4 snow peas in 2 pots, 2 bush beans and 4 chili peppers in 2 pots.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u...s/IMG_0540.jpg

Here are my chili peppers.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u...s/IMG_0541.jpg

I'll see how everything goes this year and hopefully I can add more next year.

mama to   broc1.gif DS 6/06 and banana.gif DS 4/08
Old 06-11-2008, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atobols View Post
This is my first time doing a container garden. I usually plant a huge garden and then get overwhelmed and end up with a huge weed garden. I decided to try to container garden this year so that I could keep up with it. I really think that this is the way to go for me. I took some pictures.

Here are two cucumbers and a zucchini. I am planning to use the deck as a trellis for the cucumber. I love zucchini so I just got the biggest pot I had and decided to try it.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u...s/IMG_0539.jpg

This is my row of pots out on the deck. There are 3 tomatoes in there which are surrounded by lettuce right now. I have 2 sweet red pepper plants, 4 snow peas in 2 pots, 2 bush beans and 4 chili peppers in 2 pots.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u...s/IMG_0540.jpg

Here are my chili peppers.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u...s/IMG_0541.jpg

I'll see how everything goes this year and hopefully I can add more next year.
Wow! Look at all the lovely shades of green in your area. Your plants look quite happy.

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

Old 06-11-2008, 03:37 PM

atobols, those are so neat and contained and they pleased my inner neat freak!

I tested my soil last night, what a long process, the mix is slightly different for most containers but at least the one ground area is consistant.

The good news is my ph is awesome and the phos is good. I have almost too much potash, and little to no nitrogen. Argh. I added bone meal and a bottle of terracycle liquid worm poop (really cool company!) today.

I also had seven new organic yellow peppers come up from a chunk I threw into a container after eating it. Amazing! I thinned them and put three in the ground and four into one large container to see if they'll make it. I seeded some beans, spinach, and swiss chard but forgot to label the seed containers and have no idea which one it is that's sprouting right now.
Old 06-12-2008, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

Big oops. Didn't water my tomatoes before work yesterday and when I got home, the plant with tomatoes was shriveled up. It's perked up this morning but I am worried about those tomatoes. Ugh.

Note to self: Water every day, means water every day.

My family of 3 (plus pup) Indigo (Aimee), Rob (dp), Ryne (ds) & Phebe (dog), plus my BIL's family of 3.

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay

Old 06-12-2008, 08:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
I would LOVE to see pictures of your blueberry bush!
It's still in the slightly twiggy phase (I'm not expecting anything out of it this year), but I'll get a pic of it and the rest. I'm happy to report that my soil pH experiment seems to be working. I added a few drops of lemon juice when I watered my blueberries (they like a pH around 5.7) and the plant perked right up a few days later!

Because my balcony is for an apartment it's only about 10 feet wide and a quarter of it is filled with planters of all kinds. I need to get some more big ones and transplant some of the tomatos and peppers now that they are taking off.

Check out my radio blog, Pagan Musings.
I'm a head-covering witchy mama to DS ('06) and DD ('10) with DH, Stormie, a Heathen breadwinning daddy.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo73 View Post

Note to self: Water every day, means water every day.
For some reason, I have to re-learn this lesson every single year

Old 06-12-2008, 11:26 PM

I would like to just do a happy dance that out of the seven pepper plants I have growing right now, one is actually doing really well and I have six peppers actively fruiting. I am so thrilled with that!
Old 06-20-2008, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

I have some moldy looking spots on my pepper plants. So want to figure out what it is before the buds start blooming. Ick.

My family of 3 (plus pup) Indigo (Aimee), Rob (dp), Ryne (ds) & Phebe (dog), plus my BIL's family of 3.

Old 06-21-2008, 11:05 PM - Thread Starter

Finally "caged" my tomatoes and my beans, cukes & sqash are all sprouting.

Using 4 foot bamboo sticks, duct tape and garden twine, I rigged up cages for my 4 tomato plants. I am leaving my peppers uncaged for now. I think they got too wet during our recent bout of thunderstorms and are growing mold at the branch ends and stems.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/myindig...57604990355433

Old 06-23-2008, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo73 View Post
Finally "caged" my tomatoes and my beans, cukes & sqash are all sprouting.

Using 4 foot bamboo sticks, duct tape and garden twine, I rigged up cages for my 4 tomato plants. I am leaving my peppers uncaged for now. I think they got too wet during our recent bout of thunderstorms and are growing mold at the branch ends and stems.
You're supposed to cage peppers?

I'm so excited, I went to an Amish auction this weekend and they were selling plants. I got a flat and a half of yellow hot peppers for $2. I don't know what I'm going to do with 90 pepper plants. I planted 18 of them and am trying to give the rest away. I also have one little zucchini that is almost 2 inches long. I guess a zucchini can grow in a container

User Tag List