Container, Balcony, Patio & other urban "small space" gardeners - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 205 Old 03-01-2009, 11:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
LOL I bet Indigo! and then I come along and post that I hit the garden center and snagged half a dozen each parsley, basil, cucumber & bush bean seedlings and potted them up : Of course, then when I turned my head and got distracted, the 2yo UNpotted one of the bush beans into a great messy heap of dirt on the patio LOL. We shall see if it survives!

My zucchini are still battling this stupid powdery mildew lookin stuff (thats what it looks like to me anyway) and now any fruit that set get blossom end rot. *sigh*

ETA: I also have my first ripe capsicum (all shiny & red and gorgeous) that we're going to pick to have with dinner tonight, and ALL 3 of the other plants have flowers all over. The tomatos are also doing fab and have all got fruit & flowers popping up everywhere

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#182 of 205 Old 03-02-2009, 08:50 AM

Just a few more weeks and I will be planting our indoor garden. I just rearranged the rooms to prepare. A huge task! DH and I switched rooms with DD. She had the perfect windows. Now I just need to make some sort of a shelving unit. We are lacking space and will have to do miniature varieties this year and plants that grow up.
#183 of 205 Old 03-09-2009, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Well the last of the recent snow storm is almost melted.

The yard is a mess again. Going to have to borrow or buy a rake. Trash, cigarette butts and road debris that the plows threw over our fence.

Also want to run my idea of expanding my containers with my land lord. Last year he just moved them when he mowed, but this year I want twice as many buckets... so who knows.

My family of 3 (plus pup) Indigo (Aimee), Rob (dp), Ryne (ds) & Phebe (dog), plus my BIL's family of 3.

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay

#184 of 205 Old 03-09-2009, 01:13 PM

We have a regular garden but have had so many problems with persistent disease in our tomato plants that I am trying them in containers this year. Any tips? What do you all use for soil?

grateful mother to DD, 1/04, and DS, 2/08

#185 of 205 Old 03-09-2009, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

I had great luck last year, had three varieties: 2 Cherry, 1 Better Bush and 1 Bush Goliath.

1. Stick to bush varieties for containers.
2. Water from the bottom.

My family of 3 (plus pup) Indigo (Aimee), Rob (dp), Ryne (ds) & Phebe (dog), plus my BIL's family of 3.

#186 of 205 Old 03-09-2009, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loraxc View Post
We have a regular garden but have had so many problems with persistent disease in our tomato plants that I am trying them in containers this year. Any tips? What do you all use for soil?
I had that problem as well last year, so far much better in pots this year! I just went to the garden centre and got huge bags of Searls garden or potting mix that has the soil wetter & dynamic lifter already in it. Everything that has gone into it has done REALLY well, even in my very inexperienced gardening hands And totally agree with Indigo on watering from the bottom... hubby got the crap startled out of him when he watered for me yesterday lol. He was watering from the top and I shouted STOP from across the yard hehehe.. he knows the proper way to water now needless to say

beansricerevolt.. your indoor garden sounds interesting, make sure you share some piccies when you get it going. Many houses in Australia are designed with wide verandas on 2 or more side so *most* windows don't get direct sun (except in new flash houses where filling up the entire lot is more important than silly things like... eaves LOL) so I could never pull off indoor plants. Then again we don't get much winter and can still grow a lot outdoors in july even

My zucchini has gone to pot... the powdery mildew is still hanging around, although lessened. But every time fruit tries to set it rots at the blossom end (ew) and something is definitely sneaking in and eating it when I'm not looking too :

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#187 of 205 Old 03-10-2009, 12:18 PM

I just wanted to share...

My herbs are sprouting!! :::

First-ever success at trying the container garden! My DD is absolutely enchanted, because she helped plant the seeds and has helped water them. Now she sees the baby plants and she, too, is SO PROUD!

I'm still working on securing the containers for the rest. Judging by the weather this year, I will need to start summer veggies instead of spring ones. I found a june-bug last night... in early March. The bluebonnets are already coming up, a month early.

It's supposed to become cold in the next couple of days but not freezing.

Still... we're at least going to have some herbs!

)O(   Far-away Mama to: Pooka (16)...Alex (14)...Mickie-Lamb (13)...Solo Mama to: Punkin' Seed (8)...Tootsie Pop (6)...Lil' Man (3) and a yikes2.gif due February 2012

~~~~ribbonpurple.gifDV Survivor/Fibroribbonpurple.gif~~~~ 

4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32**heartbeat.gif36***40

#188 of 205 Old 03-10-2009, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekingSerenity View Post
I just wanted to share...

My herbs are sprouting!! :::
Isn't it exciting? I love that quickening feeling.

My DS doesn't get excited until there are flowers.

Although he liked being my model when I photographed the veggies.

He is helping me with my flower seed order. I have to keep gentlely steering him away from the 7 foot sunflowers, but we've found a few shorter varieties to try this year.

#189 of 205 Old 03-10-2009, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo73 View Post
He is helping me with my flower seed order. I have to keep gentlely steering him away from the 7 foot sunflowers, but we've found a few shorter varieties to try this year.
Hehehe I am DYING to grow some sunflowers, but I'm thinking I'll have to stick with the more dwarf varieties too..I can just see my flowers falling over the 6foot fence into the neighbors yard otherwise.

SeekingSerenity, : to your sprouting herbs! I am finding I love my herb garden almost as much as my veggies (maybe more at this stage because the scents from just brushing my hands across them are just delightful I could sniff basil forever I think

#190 of 205 Old 03-11-2009, 02:52 AM

Ok gals, I'm ready to fill these containers with something! Last year didn't work out because of a long trip in the middle of the summer, but I'm home this summer, and not pregnant so things should be easier!

But before I go out and get some plants, I should probably put some sort of dirt in these containers. What should I put in there? A friend is pushing me to do just ye regular potting soil from Walmart but that doesn't seem very ... organic to me.
#191 of 205 Old 03-11-2009, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietserena View Post
Ok gals, I'm ready to fill these containers with something! Last year didn't work out because of a long trip in the middle of the summer, but I'm home this summer, and not pregnant so things should be easier!

But before I go out and get some plants, I should probably put some sort of dirt in these containers. What should I put in there? A friend is pushing me to do just ye regular potting soil from Walmart but that doesn't seem very ... organic to me.
What are you planning on growing? I put my flowers in soil, but my fruits and veggies are in a soilless (also peat-less, FTR) mix.

Single WAHM to 5yo DD, 2yo DS, and forever 7 week old angel DD.
#192 of 205 Old 03-11-2009, 03:09 AM

Tomatoes, some sort of summer squash, green beans, perhaps cucumbers. Food, basically. I guess I should have specified that... Can you tell I'm posting here and not going to bed?
#193 of 205 Old 03-11-2009, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietserena View Post
I buy "soil" really potting mix from my local gardening center. I buy it bulk. We bring a couple 30 gallon totes and shovel it in. Way cheaper than buying the bagged stuff and and don't have to worry about what is in Miracle Gro potting soil, since that seems to be the bags that are always on sale around here.

#194 of 205 Old 03-12-2009, 02:37 AM

Quote:
I buy "soil" really potting mix from my local gardening center. I buy it bulk. We bring a couple 30 gallon totes and shovel it in. Way cheaper than buying the bagged stuff and and don't have to worry about what is in Miracle Gro potting soil, since that seems to be the bags that are always on sale around here.
Last time I went, they wanted to sell me a scoop of it - like use a digger and drop a scoopful onto the bed of a pickup. I like your idea better because.. I don't have a pickup truck and my little saturn with a load of dirt on it would lose most of it on the way home.

Thanks! I'm off this coming week to find out how this can be done.
#195 of 205 Old 03-12-2009, 04:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I need to join here!

I am in zone 5/6. I am a couple miles from zone 6 and much more so 6 than 5 weather wise. I bought all my seeds, some bone meal, blood meal, and some soil. I have 5 big-ish containers (18" diameter or so) and I am trying to collect more. I am getting a late start since so much of my stuff has STILL not gotten here from Peaceful Valley (outrageous shipping and takes *forever*) and my legume inoculant is still not here.

I am using the Bountiful Container book which just rocks and I really need to get started planting!

Has anyone had luck with getting 5 gallon buckets from fast food places or using those big rubbermaid boxes for faux earth boxes? We may move soon if we find a house, so I don't want anything immobile. We don't have a yard to speak of but a couple of sq. feet outside our rented house to place some pots. I will be growing a little of everything and can't wait to start!

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#196 of 205 Old 03-12-2009, 05:37 PM

Hi everyone!!

Well it's almost time to start my patio garden again. In another 2-3 weeks all risk of frost/freeze should be gone and I will be ok to plant.

We recently moved to a larger apartment, same complex. Imagine my delight when I discovered the balcony is about 2 feet longer & wider! Yippee!!

This year I'm going to do two hanging baskets, growing tomatos and orange peppers upside down with herbs on top. That will leave me room for a few large containers on the balcony, I'm thinking I may do squash & zuchini.

I'm very excited & so ready to get started.

Candacepeace.gif, Married to dh   guitar.gif, Mom to ds (8) biggrinbounce.gif , Gavin candle.gif (9/30/10 - 12/19/10) and cautiously expecting our rainbow1284.gif 4-29-12

#197 of 205 Old 03-12-2009, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

I used to get my 5 gallon buckets from Dunkin' Donuts, but now the local ones charges as much as Home Depot for ones that tends to be more heavy duty (strong sides when I drill drainage holes), so I've been sticking with the HD ones.

I have used a kiddie pool, unused paint cans, various tubs, all with good luck.

#198 of 205 Old 03-12-2009, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittywitty View Post
Has anyone had luck with getting 5 gallon buckets from fast food places or using those big rubbermaid boxes for faux earth boxes? We may move soon if we find a house, so I don't want anything immobile. We don't have a yard to speak of but a couple of sq. feet outside our rented house to place some pots. I will be growing a little of everything and can't wait to start!
Like a previous poster, it's actually been cheaper for me to buy the buckets. I also have Rubbermaid totes going too. I started a thread about this a couple of days ago, since I consider them to be a whole different thing than container gardening.

Single WAHM to 5yo DD, 2yo DS, and forever 7 week old angel DD.
#199 of 205 Old 03-12-2009, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

I have a question... since I started the thread.

Would you guys like to start a new thread for 2009? Or stick to this one?

It's not terribly long, but I'll go with what you guys want.

#200 of 205 Old 03-12-2009, 08:25 PM

Quote:
I have a question... since I started the thread.

Would you guys like to start a new thread for 2009? Or stick to this one?

It's not terribly long, but I'll go with what you guys want.
I vote for starting another thread!

afro.jpg
#201 of 205 Old 03-12-2009, 08:27 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Please start a new one and post the link here so everyone knows where it is without having to dig around.

Save the digging for the pots~
#202 of 205 Old 03-12-2009, 08:33 PM

i'm with you purple girl....

i bought two containers, two plants (strawberry and brussels sprouts), and some tomatoe seeds today so i'm ready :

oh and if anyone starts a new thread, wil you link it here?
#203 of 205 Old 03-12-2009, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, I will start a new thread... will copy the first post from this one with all the links.

#204 of 205 Old 03-12-2009, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

Okay here it is:

Urban & Small Space Gardens 2009 - Container, Balcony, Patio, Indoors
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...php?p=13354835

#205 of 205 Old 03-13-2009, 02:15 PM

I'm going to close this thread since we have a new one going. Thanks Indigo73!

afro.jpg

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page