shade plants - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 03-23-2002, 01:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
this is my first year gardening and I have a crawling/cruising baby to boot! here is my deal : we live in a high altitude climate that has a rather short growing season, and our yard has lots of ponderosa pines, so although I have space for a garden , it is rather shady, with dappled sunlight in some places. I have spotted about three very small patches that do get some sun throughout the day, but what do i plant everywhere else?? I think a lawn is boring, and since we live in the high desert, I also consider too much lawn a waste of water. also, I think my son would be much more interested in plants than in grass!! I have a wonderful vision of litle pathways meandering through flower and vegetable beds throughout the garden, but I need help!! can any of you think of some good, nontoxic shade plants that I can try out ???
thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 03-23-2002, 10:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The climate here is completely different from what you have, but I'll list some plants that I have that are thriving in the shade. I have no idea about their toxicity. (I think I've heard that Lily of the Valley is toxic.)

Lungwort
Dwarf Goatsbeard
Virginia Bluebells
Jack in the Pulpit
Lily of the Valley
Black & Blue Cohosh
Bleeding Heart
Astilbe
Purple Palace Coral Bells
Japanese Painted Fern

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version