Cheerful little free flowers 63 70.79%
Evil weeds 26 29.21%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 38 Old 04-24-2008, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do you think of them as flowers or weeds? (I'm not looking for a technical classification, just people's opinions.)

I've always loved them. My father maintains that if they were difficult to grow, they'd be much sought-after.

At the moment, they're mixed amoung my perennials and ds2 will happily help them spread once they go to seed. My neighbor can't figure out why I let these "weeds" grow in my garden. I can't figure out why people don't think of them as FLOWERS!

Single Mom to 3 (12, 17 & 21)  luxlove.gif and dog2.gif.

#2 of 38 Old 04-24-2008, 08:36 PM

To my boys they are beautiful flowers! I love the way they love them! We have a dandelion bouquet in our kitchen at this moment.

That said, to me, outside the bouquet in the kitchen and instead sitting in my front lawn they are weeds. I think this is because they are invasive--going where they are not wanted and far from where they might be planted.

Outside of flower/weed they are herbal and edible.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#3 of 38 Old 04-24-2008, 09:55 PM

I hate them because they are invasive AND sometimes really hard to pull.

That doesn't mean I won't accept the 500 bouquets of them my DD's will bring me this summer
#4 of 38 Old 04-24-2008, 09:58 PM

Grrr.... stupid dandelions in my lawn!!!! You know what dandelions and summer create? BEE STINGS!!! NOOOOO....... ugh.

Same with clover. Get out. Stay out. I want the bees where I love them, in the flowers and OFF my lawn where my family walk barefoot all summer.
#5 of 38 Old 04-24-2008, 09:58 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
They are especially treasured here, the first thing to bloom in the spring and really important to bees. The white fluff phase is annoying though...
#6 of 38 Old 04-24-2008, 10:01 PM

I've always called them my favorite flower. They're a beautiful bright yellow, and right now ds2 has a ball picking them and putting them on the nature table.

A happy woman
#7 of 38 Old 04-24-2008, 11:38 PM

Right now they are so pretty mixed up with the purple wild violets in everyone's lawn and in the parks. We don't have many in our yard for some reason, but I kind of wish we did because we like to eat them Maybe I would like them less if they were invasive in my yard.

My vote is yummy veggie/herb and pretty flower.
#8 of 38 Old 04-24-2008, 11:56 PM

Love the flowers, really......but they're weeds, vile little plants hell bent on destroying my pretty lawn

Amy ~ Web Designing Single Mom to 4: DD14, DS12, DS5, DS3
#9 of 38 Old 04-25-2008, 01:28 AM

I know there are lots of great uses for dandelions but if they were cheerful, little free flowers they wouldn't proliferate they way they do and they would have a much shallower root system. They are evil
#10 of 38 Old 04-25-2008, 03:25 AM

i've got mad love for dandilions : : :
#11 of 38 Old 04-25-2008, 07:47 AM

I am not a lawn person I would rather have food growing than a nice lawn. And right now given the choice I would love to have dandelions all over my yard instead of dirt trails that the moles left behind:
#12 of 38 Old 04-25-2008, 08:10 AM

They are sooooo full of vitamins (the early leaves). And so cheery and pretty. We call them Avery-flowers because they were all over the place when I was laboring (out in the yard ) with Avery.

Amanda, mom to Everest (12), Alden (10-1/2), Ellery (7-1/2), & Avery (6)
#13 of 38 Old 04-25-2008, 08:21 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Oh, I can't help but love dandelions for their cheery flowers and delicious leaves. Last night I put dandy leaves into a soup. It was good. I actually have been trying to get more dandilions and clover and plaintain and ground ivy into my yard because I think it is so much prettier than just plain old grass (which I don't have any of anyway!)
#14 of 38 Old 04-25-2008, 12:42 PM

weeds... I know totally uncrunchy of me, but they are just so invasive!

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#15 of 38 Old 04-25-2008, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyamanda View Post
They are sooooo full of vitamins (the early leaves). And so cheery and pretty. We call them Avery-flowers because they were all over the place when I was laboring (out in the yard ) with Avery.
This is so sweet that it's making me change my mind, though.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#16 of 38 Old 04-25-2008, 06:16 PM

If they didn't have a tap root, they wouldn't be so bad. We have clay. Clay + tap root = impossible!

You can make wine out of the flowers!
#17 of 38 Old 04-25-2008, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh_mom View Post
If they didn't have a tap root, they wouldn't be so bad. We have clay. Clay + tap root = impossible!

You can make wine out of the flowers!

The tap root makes it horrible.

#18 of 38 Old 04-25-2008, 07:23 PM

I clicked on the poll and then saw who posted it,

Cheerful, free flowers of course Just yesterday Bridget and I were talking about them. She said she couldn't see why people didn't like them and I told her I agreed I love them. They're so pretty.

And if we didn't have dandelions, how would we make wishes by blowing on the puff balls?
#19 of 38 Old 04-25-2008, 07:25 PM

I don't particularly like them. I hate how they grow so much faster than the grass and make the lawn looked like it needs to be mown when it doesn't! It's such a waste of gas to mow because of those pesky weeds! And that root is a killer to pull!

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (10) and Nathaniel (9) and Olivia (3).
#20 of 38 Old 04-25-2008, 07:27 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
They make our lawn so colorful! Dandilions plus those little lavendar flowers and those even littler white flowers save us from a boring green lawn!

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#21 of 38 Old 04-25-2008, 11:24 PM

I love dandelions. They give a lawn character and charm and - my favorite part - attract bees (good for my garden). I have to keep my front yard dandelion free (HOA), but I let them live in the back. Plus, I like having the pretty yellow flowers for DS to marvel at.
#22 of 38 Old 04-28-2008, 02:54 AM

Well, they're not native, but I find it therapeutic to get out the dandy-digger when the kids are playing outside. Can't really tell a difference afterwards.

I once blogged that "We have a nice collection of European wildflowers, namely henbit, shepherd's purse, and Taraxacum officinale." No one got my joke. (That they are all very common lawn weeds, esp. in lawns that are not aggressively maintained, and imported invaders. ha ha.)
#23 of 38 Old 04-28-2008, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonCC
I clicked on the poll and then saw who posted it
I thought we had an understanding. You stalk me, I stalk you, no one gets reported.

Well, it looks like Dad was right on! It seems the poor dandelinion's most awful crime is that it's easy to grow.

My son would be so upset if I dug up his "blow-flowers." Maybe I should start a "lazy gardeners tribe."

Single Mom to 3 (12, 17 & 21)  luxlove.gif and dog2.gif.

#24 of 38 Old 04-28-2008, 08:21 AM

I've been taking an herbal medicine class and it's really opened my eyes to the value of many plants that people generally consider weeds. I've never understood the desire to have a pristine green lawn of only grass, but I was still pulling a lot of plants out of my garden based on the notion that they were "bad" plants. I know better now and am really enjoying not having to weed.

I'll tell you what is evil though: bindweed. It's tough as nails and even harder to eradicate than dandelion, with no redeeming qualities.
#25 of 38 Old 04-28-2008, 10:54 AM

Joan,
#26 of 38 Old 04-28-2008, 12:36 PM

Evil weeds but only because of my allergies, otherwise I'd classify them as food.
#27 of 38 Old 04-28-2008, 12:49 PM

They are pretty flowers when in the lawn esp with the violets, buttercups and chickweed and other wildflowers early in the season.

They are evil weeds when in the garden.

My 3yo ds picked one that had gone to seed last night and would not go to bed without it.
#28 of 38 Old 04-28-2008, 12:52 PM

We love dandelions! Yellow is both DD1 & DD2's favorite colors...they LOVE picking them.

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#29 of 38 Old 04-28-2008, 12:54 PM

you didn't have an other!

When my son hands me a handful, they are wonderful flowers. When they are in my yard, they are terrible little weeds.
#30 of 38 Old 04-28-2008, 01:06 PM

I have never cared about a weed free lawn either, now I am really liking them because my chicks love the flowers, I am thinking they will eat the greens as they get bigger. We should eat them too, I have just been unsure how to go about it. Are they bitter?

Stephanie married to Jerry  partners.gif  mama to  modifiedartist.gif (10) and superhero.gif(7) and 3rdtri.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page