Seedling Help - please :) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-03-2008, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is my first year starting plants from seeds. I have tomato, basil, cabbage and broccoli all started (we are in zone 5b)....they are growing in newspaper pots made from the pot maker - so smaller than farmer cathy's version and are growing under flourescent lights (one cool, one warm).

Up until now they have been growing well. Yesterday I started to notice that the first set of leaves that came up (those from the seed, not the true leaves) are turning yellow, and I am worried about them....what can I do? I have been watering them approx. every other day, maybe every three days with a little spritz in between. They are growing in a mix of compost, vermiculite and peat moss. What can I do to make sure they don't die? I will be so sad

Also, do I need to repot them all into bigger pots before putting them out? The tomato plants have about 4 true leaves on them, the rest only two.

I was so happy that they were doing well, then I saw the plants they were selling at Home Depot last week and got a little sad that mine look so tiny still

TIA!

Homeschooling catholic vegan Mama to my boysjumpers.gif Simon (7), Keegan (5), Ezra (2) and ??? due November
#2 of 4 Old 05-03-2008, 05:18 PM

hi mama
im a newbie too but i *THINK* it is okay to have the first leaves fall off, or you can pinch them out.

hopefully a more exp gardening mama will have advice!
#3 of 4 Old 05-03-2008, 09:23 PM

When I have grown from seed the first leaves almost always yellow and fall off. Don't worry unless the true leaves yellow. As far as repotting, just look for the roots to come through the bottom of your paper pots (or tear a little hole to see how they are doing). If they look crowded before your ready to plant out then move up a size. I grew in my cool basement and found that a little heat from the bottom helps. They make special plant heating pads for that but if you grow in a warm spot they should be fine.
#4 of 4 Old 05-03-2008, 10:34 PM

Every single plant I have did that. It's normal =)

Amy ~ Web Designing Single Mom to 4: DD14, DS12, DS5, DS3

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page