Kids broke Wisteria tree - how to remove limb/repair tree? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-08-2008, 02:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Pretty much what the title says. I have a beautiful Wisteria tree/vine off my front deck and DS1 and his friend (who've we've had a ton of problems with before this) decided it was a good idea to break one of the 2 main branches off. Literally half the tree is missing. Not only that, but it happened yesterday and DS never told me about, DH found out and we had to dig for the truth (that's a whole other issue though of course!!). My anger at the situation doesn't help me repair the tree though. I need to know if anyone here can tell me, or tell me where to find out, how to remove the branch (it's hanging on "by a thread" so to speak) and keep the spot protected until it heals. Ugh I'm so pissed :

Amy ~ Web Designing Single Mom to 4: DD14, DS12, DS5, DS3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2008, 05:18 AM

Remove it with a pair of clippers/shears. Try to avoid removing any more bark from the remaining limb. There's not a whole lot you can do to protect the open wound... there are chemicals on the market that are supposed to help, but everything I've read says they don't help, and in fact can hurt.

Just make sure you don't stress the plant any further, making sure to keep it watered and lightly fertilized through the growing season. By the time next spring rolls around, it should be all better.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

Old 05-08-2008, 12:47 PM

What Cristeen said. Besides that, Wisteria is generally very hardy. I don't know about in Oregon, but in southern New Jersey (where I grew up) it can be a serious nuisance. Hope your vine heals well and your anger abates a bit... it's always worse when they try to hide what they have done, eh?

The Tabbie Family; DH , DS , DD , a few :, a couple : and me.

User Tag List