Can I plant a sprouted garlic clove? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 05-27-2008, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DH handed me a sprouted clove of garlic last night and asked if I could plant it to grow garlic. I am a complete novice to gardening, especially food! LOL I left it on the counter overnight. What do I do with it now?

We are either in zone 10b or 11, San Diego, sandy soil that I have been adding more and more organic matter to for several years. For now, I'd rather grow food in containers and flowers in the planting beds.

Will garlic grow in a pot of some kind in full sun??? Or, I have full shade in the front of the house...

Thanks for any tips!

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#2 of 13 Old 05-27-2008, 12:24 PM

I don't know if you can get more bulbs out of it but I plant my sprouted cloves in the border of my garden as pest control. The shoots look like green onions but smell like garlic which repels a lot of pests.

\m/

#3 of 13 Old 05-27-2008, 12:41 PM

Garlic likes full sun and you can grow them from store bought cloves. You would normally plant the bulbs in fall, so I don't know if you will get more out of it this year, but you might next year.

:,,:, to my three veggie ladies 12/09/05, : 10/03/07 & 07/10/09 hanging on for dear life to :
#4 of 13 Old 05-27-2008, 12:57 PM

OK, your zone/location is a total mystery to me as I have only ever lived on the east coast. A rule for planting garlic around here is to plant it when you would plant your tulips. But I think I read somewhere that softneck garlic can/should? be planted in the spring.
#5 of 13 Old 05-27-2008, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much! I have new questions...

If I were plant it now in a pot and place it in full sun, what would happen next? How often do I water it? Will it just grow as a plant and may or may not produce more garlic? How will I know? Garlic grows underground, right? What size pot should I use? What type of soil?

I consider this an experiment, so I am not too concerned about it. I would like to have a successful outcome, though! Any tips are greatly appreciated.

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#6 of 13 Old 05-27-2008, 03:48 PM

I'd pot it and add some compost if you have any and keep the soil moist. When the leaves start to brown, stop watering and when the leaf part falls over dig it up, tie them together and let them dry out. Good luck!

:,,:, to my three veggie ladies 12/09/05, : 10/03/07 & 07/10/09 hanging on for dear life to :
#7 of 13 Old 05-27-2008, 03:50 PM

DH has tried in the past, but it did not yield any garlic. He thinks that maybe it was because the garlic clove he planted came from the grocery store, so who knows how long it had been sitting there.

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

#8 of 13 Old 05-27-2008, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you!!!

#9 of 13 Old 05-28-2008, 12:54 AM

I'd say it is too late to plant garlic, even with your long growing season. But you could go ahead and plant it and use the leaves it produces like chives. They will have a slight garlic taste to them and are great on baked potatoes with some butter.
#10 of 13 Old 05-29-2008, 01:49 PM

I stuck some in our SFG and they took forever to do anything, but a couple are growing well now I have no idea what's going on under the soil but figured it would be fun to see

WAHMama to Allen (2-10-05) and Alexa (6-27-08)
#11 of 13 Old 05-29-2008, 01:58 PM

I planted some sprouting cloves about 2 weeks ago indoors, very sunny position and its grown about 10 inch leaves and the roots are starting to show in the bottom of the 8" deep pot already-- I'm wondering how deep a pot it will need to go in? (I've planted some lentils and mung beans too as I find it weird not having any idea what these plants I eat so often actually look like growing!)

Zoe mama to Thomas 1-06
#12 of 13 Old 05-29-2008, 01:58 PM

#13 of 13 Old 05-29-2008, 03:58 PM

It shopuld grow, though you likely won't get a new garlic bulb out of it this year.
You can throw it in the ground, but don't dig it up until next spring. Keep it well watered while it is actively producing green growth, but taper off in the fall so it can go dormant.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page