could I make a root cellar in the garage in a cold climate? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-29-2008, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm not sure how keen I am on having a big hole dug in the yard for a root cellar (we only have a half acre lot)...is there any way I could (or DH could!) rig something up in the garage? We have a pretty good sized uninsulated garage and I think it generally stays plenty cold through the late fall, winter, and early spring for food storage, assuming I could figure out some way to keep things from freezing. We do have a basement but it's a daylight basement and will be heated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2008, 07:17 PM

When I was growing up, our root celler was in the garage. It was more or less a walk in closet with shelves all around the edges. It was insulated really well including the door, cealing and floor. There was a ventilation flap to the outside that could be opened or closed. Most of the time my mom would leave the light on (conventional bulb) and the heat from the bulb would keep the room from getting too cold. She kept a thermometer in there to track the temp. I think sometimes if there was a big cold snap comming she would put a small space heater on low in there.

I've heard of using big buckets of water to regulate the temperature. I think they act as thermal mass.

Let there be beauty and strength, power and compassion, honor and humility, mirth and reverence within you.)0(
Old 05-30-2008, 02:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
This sounds like a good idea. How hard would it be to do something like this?

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

Old 05-30-2008, 02:20 PM

Get yourself a copy of Root Cellaring by Mike and Nancy Bubel. They've got tons of ideas of how to rig up root cellars in a variety of ways - and they touch on things like air flow and humidity and temperature and all that. Very useful book, even for someone like me who's entire freakin' house is too warm or has other issues to even put a root cellar in.

Wife to an amazing hubby, mother hen to four chicken3.gif 
(If you're curious, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, and yes, it's a busy house)

User Tag List