Mothering Forum banner

Mums?

718 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Chanley 
#1 ·
Hi, I have a question about mums. I got some about a month and a half ago from Home Depot - two pots. I know NOTHING about flowers or plants or anything but these are supposed to be "hardy" LOL My question is this. I got them in part b/c they were specified "full sun" and that's exactly what I need on my balcony since every afternoon the sun shines directly on us. However, now they are beginning to fade. The flowers are wilting and dying. The greens still look good, so I'm just assuming it's time for teh flowers to die until spring? I guess I'm asking: is this normal or are they supposed to be year-round flowers and I am just killing them? LOL

Thanks,
Bons

#2 ·
This is normal. No flower lives that long. Some plants the flower fades and another flower will grow IF you dead head them.

To dead head them, get your scissors or pruners and cut the dead ones off. I cannot remember if mums are repeat bloomers. It has been a few years since we have grown them at the nursery.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.