do you eat beet leaves? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 06-11-2008, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i'm pretty sure they're edible, right? i'm thinking of juicing them in my morning blend, since i have plenty. do you eat yours?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 06-11-2008, 09:14 PM

yuppers, they are better than the beets imo. they are very similar to chard.
#3 of 16 Old 06-11-2008, 11:31 PM

ditto!

I like them in salads. I store beets in buckets of sand over the winter in my root celler. The beets will continue to produce leaves which is a nice sorce of greens over the winter. Not enough by themselves but they add colour and flavor to store bought lettuce.

Let there be beauty and strength, power and compassion, honor and humility, mirth and reverence within you.)0(
#4 of 16 Old 06-12-2008, 01:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhiannon Feimorgan View Post
ditto!

I like them in salads. I store beets in buckets of sand over the winter in my root celler. The beets will continue to produce leaves which is a nice sorce of greens over the winter. Not enough by themselves but they add colour and flavor to store bought lettuce.
wow that's interesting. so you just seed some more beets in late summer or autumn and then pull them, put them in buckets of sand, and then can you cut the leaves and let the beets continue to grow? will they grow more leaves? and then you can still also eat the beets from the sand, right? interesting. i want to try that this year.

#5 of 16 Old 06-12-2008, 02:39 AM

That IS interesting about the buckets of sand and all that!

We eat beet greens steamed with butter and salt. (That's how I serve almost any veggie ) I love 'em. I agree, better than the beet!

"If you only knew how many things I want to say and don't, you'd give me some credit."
#6 of 16 Old 06-12-2008, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElliesMomma View Post
wow that's interesting. so you just seed some more beets in late summer or autumn and then pull them, put them in buckets of sand, and then can you cut the leaves and let the beets continue to grow? will they grow more leaves? and then you can still also eat the beets from the sand, right? interesting. i want to try that this year.
I harvest the full grown beet root. We have a short growing season up here so I sew in early summer and harvest in the fall. I cut off the leaves on the root, we'll either eat those right away or blanch them for the freezer to add to soups/stews. I bury the roots in layers of sand. So I put a layer of about an inch of damp sand in the bottom of a bucket or some other container. I arrange a layer of beet roots so they are not touching each other and cover them with damp sand, another layer of beets then sand and so on until the bucket is full or I run out of beets. I do the same thing with carrots and parsnips although I don't eat the carrot tops. Over the winter in my cold room the beets with continue to grow tender little leaves. Not as much as during the summer but some so when I dig a few beets out of the bucket for a meal, I'll cut off the leaves and add them to our salad.

I discovered this the first time I stored away beets that way. It's a traditional way of storing root vegitables. It keeps them very crisp and fresh tasting.

Let there be beauty and strength, power and compassion, honor and humility, mirth and reverence within you.)0(
#7 of 16 Old 06-12-2008, 12:06 PM

Yep! Beets give you a two-fer-one deal: you can eat the greens without sacrificing the root. :

Mara, mama to two boys born 05/2009 and 04/2011, after four miscarriages. 

Also: chicken3.gif  dog2.gif

#8 of 16 Old 06-12-2008, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Beets and chard are basically the same plant. One is bread for the leaves, one for the root
#9 of 16 Old 06-12-2008, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolip View Post
Beets and chard are basically the same plant. One is bread for the leaves, one for the root
Ooh, how interesting!

We love chard

"If you only knew how many things I want to say and don't, you'd give me some credit."
#10 of 16 Old 06-12-2008, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolip View Post
This is interesting -- I knew they were similar plants but not the same. I love beat tops and actually chose the variety I planted because it produces lovely tops -- so, did I really buy chard???

These are they:

http://www.groworganic.com/item_SNV1...tz_Salad_.html

It says "chard-like" -- I guess because it produces a beet too!
#11 of 16 Old 06-12-2008, 06:59 PM

I eat the greens and dh eats the beet. I don't like the root & he doesn't like the green so we are all happy here.

Steam it with just a splash of lemon juice before serving. yum
#12 of 16 Old 06-12-2008, 07:04 PM

we had both beets and beet greens for lunch! It is very chard like. We will have chard for dinner. Gotta love the csa box.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#13 of 16 Old 06-12-2008, 07:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlyninla View Post
This is interesting -- I knew they were similar plants but not the same. I love beat tops and actually chose the variety I planted because it produces lovely tops -- so, did I really buy chard???

These are they:

http://www.groworganic.com/item_SNV1...tz_Salad_.html

It says "chard-like" -- I guess because it produces a beet too!
Sounds like you bought a Cheet... or Bard...

That's really cool! I wonder why it took them so long to come up with it all in one plant
#14 of 16 Old 06-12-2008, 08:35 PM

It's actually the other way around, Toolip. Beets and Chard are both Beta vulgaris. Some were selected and grown for better greens and that got the common name chard. Some were selected for better, larger roots. Those got the common name chard. Lutz is an heirloom, originally grown in Europe by people who appreciated its dual uses. The single use beet and chard varieties came later.
#15 of 16 Old 06-12-2008, 08:36 PM

beet greens are simply wonderful cooked lightly in a pan with chili flakes, salt and garlic.

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#16 of 16 Old 06-12-2008, 08:49 PM

one of the little beet/chard seed is actually a bunch of seeds, so that's why you are always having to thin them heavy in the beginning... I forget which it was... for the root or the tops but one year I found a variety that produced one plant per seed, I loved it because I'm awful about thinning things out... anyway just another little tidbit of trivia for all our brains...

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page