Has anyone tried this...(tomatoes) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 06-11-2008, 11:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just read that you should cut all but three of the leaves off your tomatoe plant once it reaches maturity. The thought was the that the leaves were sucking up the sun, water, etc instead of the fruit. What does everyone think? Has anyone tried this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 06-11-2008, 11:11 PM

Ummmm...well, where I live, I'm afraid that if I took off ALL of the leaves, my fruit would scald. But...I do remove a lot of the suckers (the leaves that won't make fruit.) I usually start at the bottom and work my way up. I take maybe five leaves off each plant every week or so. I've gotten a lot of fruits, but I'm not sure if it's because of the sucker removal!
#3 of 9 Old 06-12-2008, 12:32 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have heard that they do that for roses in the industry of producing long stemmed big roses...

but never heard of doing it for tomatoes

it sound logical...
#4 of 9 Old 06-17-2008, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blooming View Post
I just read that you should cut all but three of the leaves off your tomatoe plant once it reaches maturity. The thought was the that the leaves were sucking up the sun, water, etc instead of the fruit. What does everyone think? Has anyone tried this?
I think it's illogical. The leaves carry out the photosynthesis, helping the plant live. The plant wouldn't survive very long without leaves, and if it can't make enough food for itself, it will abort its fruit. If you reduce the number of fruit though, you'll have bigger fruit.
#5 of 9 Old 06-17-2008, 10:20 AM

I do remove lots of the big viney arms that won't produce fruit, but my plants are still huge and bushy.
#6 of 9 Old 06-17-2008, 11:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahGuinn View Post
I do remove lots of the big viney arms that won't produce fruit, but my plants are still huge and bushy.

This is really intersting. How do you know which arms wil produce fruit, and which won't?

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#7 of 9 Old 06-17-2008, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudswinger View Post
I think it's illogical. The leaves carry out the photosynthesis, helping the plant live. The plant wouldn't survive very long without leaves, and if it can't make enough food for itself, it will abort its fruit. If you reduce the number of fruit though, you'll have bigger fruit.
Exactly! I know some garden books (SFG to name one) suggest pinching off the suckers (so the side branches that grow from the main stem of an indeterminate plant), but I've read elsewhere that even that little bit of pruning can have a detrimental effect on the plant's ability to carry out photosynthesis. More severe pruning seems to me like it would just plain kill the plant.
#8 of 9 Old 06-17-2008, 11:50 PM - Thread Starter

okay, I think I will let them be.

They are healthy (except some yellow leaves around the base of the plant), so hopefully I'll have some fresh tomatoes in a couple of months.
#9 of 9 Old 06-18-2008, 12:54 AM

I've just always done that, aquarian, my grandmother told me a long time ago that the bottom leaves will not fruit.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page