Preserving the Harvest - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#361 of 688 Old 08-16-2008, 12:25 PM
 
captivatedlife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: in a place of interest
Posts: 1,349
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We buy most of our stuff through the Canning Pantry - they have great prices, come highly recommended from other users and I highly recommend them. Their prices are some of the best - check them out.


Spend $50 save 5% "Save5for50"
Spend $100 save 10% "Save10for100"

~ Kim

mama to E (01-2007) and wife to C

captivatedlife is offline  
#362 of 688 Old 08-16-2008, 07:20 PM
 
KrisUnderwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a question for you all. When you make a huge batch of jam, say, double working from the recipe, do you double the pectin also, if using?
KrisUnderwood is offline  
#363 of 688 Old 08-16-2008, 07:54 PM
 
lmonter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: My own private Idaho
Posts: 6,382
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisUnderwood View Post
I have a question for you all. When you make a huge batch of jam, say, double working from the recipe, do you double the pectin also, if using?
Yes, unless you don't want your jam to set up. The pectin is what kinda makes it gelatinize or whatever.
I did tons of double batches last year. And unless you keep them separate in smaller one-batch pots, they take forever to come to a boil so the fruit cooks longer and can taste slightly different from single batches. If that's an issue for you.

Wife to an amazing hubby, mother hen to four chicken3.gif 
(If you're curious, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, and yes, it's a busy house)
lmonter is offline  
#364 of 688 Old 08-16-2008, 11:21 PM
 
radish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 2,493
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ball canning book says to not double jam recipes, forgot the exact reason, sorry.
radish is offline  
#365 of 688 Old 08-17-2008, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter
 
Love_My_Babies's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: North of Madison, WI
Posts: 605
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
TOMATO LAND!!!!

DS garden was overgrown with cucumbers, but now the tomatoes are really getting huge. Half of them will be ripe starting this week, but the other half will take a bit longer. Should I pick and freeze the ripe ones and wait until the others are ready to can them all together???? Half of the harvest wouldn't be enough to can on their own.

J - Homeschooling mom to H (1/20/05), Z (11/6/06) and C (8/22/08)
I work from SON up to SON down! 
Love_My_Babies is offline  
#366 of 688 Old 08-17-2008, 02:50 PM
 
FarmerCathy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Three Lakes, WI
Posts: 4,192
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by radish View Post
ball canning book says to not double jam recipes, forgot the exact reason, sorry.
The Pomona pectin I have says to double or triple recipes is fine. I guess maybe it would be the difference of what your making and what kind of pectin your using? For example, preserves it says not to tweak or deviate.

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

And 3rdtri.gif with #3 bigeyes.gif Due in August 2013!!!

FarmerCathy is offline  
#367 of 688 Old 08-17-2008, 04:30 PM
 
Learnintolaugh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 390
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Two questions; first, does anyone who cans have a flat top stove? I remember a friend saying a number of years ago that they couldn't can on their flat top stove, something about not maintaining the heat at correct temps or something.

Second, if you have a recipe to make pizza sauce and can it, there should be no harm in just freezing it instead, should there? I have plenty of space in my deep freeze.
Learnintolaugh is offline  
#368 of 688 Old 08-17-2008, 05:14 PM
 
lmonter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: My own private Idaho
Posts: 6,382
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes, I can on my flat top stove. You can see the stove in random photos on my blog. Hubby says canning on it isn't a problem, so hey, if the stove dies and we have to get a new one, just means we'll be able to get a gas one instead.

As for the correct temp... Huh? Water bath canning I just have to keep it going at a constant boil - which I can do by turning the knob down to a 2 (out of 10) once the boiling has gone nuts. With pressure canning, I just pay attention to the pressure gauge and the hissing sounds from the weighed gauge vent. Nothing too spectacular.


Freezing instead sounds perfectly fine. I'm just running out of room in my own freezer because of all the frozen berries and jam in there this year.

Wife to an amazing hubby, mother hen to four chicken3.gif 
(If you're curious, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, and yes, it's a busy house)
lmonter is offline  
#369 of 688 Old 08-17-2008, 05:45 PM
 
captivatedlife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: in a place of interest
Posts: 1,349
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have triple batched with pomonas - I would make sure my pectin said it was ok though.

~ Kim

mama to E (01-2007) and wife to C

captivatedlife is offline  
#370 of 688 Old 08-17-2008, 08:54 PM
 
Learnintolaugh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 390
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmonter View Post
Yes, I can on my flat top stove. You can see the stove in random photos on my blog. Hubby says canning on it isn't a problem, so hey, if the stove dies and we have to get a new one, just means we'll be able to get a gas one instead.

As for the correct temp... Huh? Water bath canning I just have to keep it going at a constant boil - which I can do by turning the knob down to a 2 (out of 10) once the boiling has gone nuts. With pressure canning, I just pay attention to the pressure gauge and the hissing sounds from the weighed gauge vent. Nothing too spectacular.


Freezing instead sounds perfectly fine. I'm just running out of room in my own freezer because of all the frozen berries and jam in there this year.

Thank you! I don't know if I'll work up the nerve to try it this year, and I still have lots of space left in my freezer and zero space for canned goods, so maybe next year if hubby builds me some shelves.
Learnintolaugh is offline  
#371 of 688 Old 08-18-2008, 06:55 PM
 
*violet*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,134
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Learnintolaugh - I freeze tons and tons of pizza sauce every 6 months or so, and it defrosts fine, no funky consistency or taste. It's so so convenient.
*violet* is offline  
#372 of 688 Old 08-19-2008, 02:46 PM
 
notwonamesalike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 1,105
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I had a huge batch of peaches to freeze - which I did, in a light sugar syrup with lemon to preserve color and taste.

But now I don't know what to do with them?

usually when I buy frozen peaches from the store/costco, where ever - the peaches have been individually frozen. I grab some and toss them into my blender with smoothies.

What do I do with the peaches frozen in syrup though....do I thaw them out and drain off the liquid?

Me:
notwonamesalike is offline  
#373 of 688 Old 08-19-2008, 04:30 PM
 
HydeParkB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,271
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Another good harvest today - peppers and tomatoes. I think I am going to dehydrate the romas. I may try to roast and can my peppers. I also see jalepeno jelly in my future.

Bridget. Momma to DD (4), expecting DS - 9/09, wife to SAHD. Gardener, coffee addict, urban dweller.
HydeParkB is offline  
#374 of 688 Old 08-19-2008, 05:41 PM
 
Jennisee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 7,341
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Because I am a giant dork, I made a blog entry showing step-by-step canning of spaghetti sauce. And it was fun. : I think I may do it again with other recipes.

I am about to be buried in produce here. My 4 month old has started catnapping ONLY in my arms, instead of taking a 2 hour nap in the bassinet, and he keeps waking up at night, too, so I'm finding it harder to cut out chunks of time to can. I still have a bushel or two of apples on my kitchen counter, and I'll probably pick at least another bushel of pears tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by notwonamesalike View Post
So I had a huge batch of peaches to freeze - which I did, in a light sugar syrup with lemon to preserve color and taste.

But now I don't know what to do with them?

usually when I buy frozen peaches from the store/costco, where ever - the peaches have been individually frozen. I grab some and toss them into my blender with smoothies.

What do I do with the peaches frozen in syrup though....do I thaw them out and drain off the liquid?
Yeah, when you freeze in syrup, the peaches freeze in a big block, so you have to thaw them all at once.

If you want individually frozen peaches, dip them in the lemon juice to preserve color and then lay them on a cookie sheet in the freezer. When they're frozen, transfer them to a freezer bag without syrup. They shouldn't stick together in the bag with this method, and you can pull out a few slices at a time.
Jennisee is offline  
#375 of 688 Old 08-19-2008, 07:57 PM
 
UUMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 9,767
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
[QUOTE=Jennisee;11985420]Because I am a giant dork, I made a blog entry showing step-by-step canning of spaghetti sauce. And it was fun. : I think I may do it again with other recipes.
QUOTE]


I don't think you're a dork at all. lol I love that you wrote that up for folks. You're a font of info that has almost been lost. Keep on. :
UUMom is offline  
#376 of 688 Old 08-19-2008, 09:19 PM
 
lmonter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: My own private Idaho
Posts: 6,382
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Neato step by step Jennisee. I like showing the giant pile of ingredients and the finished product, too. Do you happen to have a carrier to stick kiddo on your back? I swear, that's the only thing that's saved me half the time. Granted, I don't climb ladders or tractors with her on my back, but still.

Today's fun? Partial root canal. Because a full root canal would be too... normal. And as I'm sure most of you know, I'm so far from normal... I have to go back on Thursday because my roots do a 90* angle thing which makes things super difficult. The meds they gave me took effect much quicker than the dentist, and seem to have worn off a lot quicker, too. I think I need to know what kind of numbing stuff it was.

Tomorrow's fun in the meantime? Think we're off to the u-pick place for beans (now they're like $5/5 gallon bucket) and corn, if it's not pouring rain. Finally cooled down, and I'm just feeling too lazy to haul the kids off to the farm and messing with rush hour traffic.

Which brings me to my next thing.

Anybody made and canned their own creamed corn a la the Ball Book? Which basically only calls for corn and water - no high fructose corn syrup, which makes me even more excited about it. (I used creamed corn in a few soup/stew recipes, no worries.)

And my last thing... I totally missed the drop-off for canned goods at the fair last week. I was so going to win some blue ribbons, too. Well, next year I won't have a newborn (knock on wood), and I'll be able to can things in specific little jars just for the fair. And set them aside and write the drop off dates on my calendar next year. Kind of ironic that I rolled my eyes as Grandma dragged us through the home arts portions of the fair, and here I'm browsing/drooling through the same exact thing, just a few decades later. I'm sure she's just giggling at me now.

Wife to an amazing hubby, mother hen to four chicken3.gif 
(If you're curious, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, and yes, it's a busy house)
lmonter is offline  
#377 of 688 Old 08-20-2008, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter
 
Love_My_Babies's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: North of Madison, WI
Posts: 605
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennisee View Post
Because I am a giant dork, I made a blog entry showing step-by-step canning of spaghetti sauce. And it was fun. : I think I may do it again with other recipes.
This is awesome! This is exactly what I want to make, but I am yet to find a recipe that anyone can vouch for. Do you have the exact recipe/directions with ingredient measurments and processing times?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmonter View Post
And my last thing... I totally missed the drop-off for canned goods at the fair last week. I was so going to win some blue ribbons, too. Well, next year I won't have a newborn (knock on wood), and I'll be able to can things in specific little jars just for the fair. And set them aside and write the drop off dates on my calendar next year. Kind of ironic that I rolled my eyes as Grandma dragged us through the home arts portions of the fair, and here I'm browsing/drooling through the same exact thing, just a few decades later. I'm sure she's just giggling at me now.
Too funny because I was just thinking the same thing. When I was a kid, I was not impressed by the jars of foods at the fair. In fact, I was a bit confused why the food vendors (i.e. the funnelcake guy) would lay their stuff out in a tent!! We went last week, and I was like a giddy schoolgirl getting preservation ideas.

J - Homeschooling mom to H (1/20/05), Z (11/6/06) and C (8/22/08)
I work from SON up to SON down! 
Love_My_Babies is offline  
#378 of 688 Old 08-20-2008, 10:33 AM
 
amyamanda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: VT (zone 5)
Posts: 1,436
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmonter View Post
The meds they gave me took effect much quicker than the dentist, and seem to have worn off a lot quicker, too. I think I need to know what kind of numbing stuff it was.
If you are nursing, they do not use epinephrine with the anaesthetic. Normally the epinephrine is what makes it "stick" - not using it will make the numbness wear off quicker.

Also, do not take Vitamin C (or eat high-C foods like oranges) before your appointment. Vitamin C apparently acts as a carrier to whisk the anaesthetic out of your body quicker. (It's good to take afterward if you want the numbness to go away fast.)

Maybe those were factors? Definitely tell your dentist, because they may have a longer-lasting drug to try.

Amanda, mom to Everest (12), Alden (10-1/2), Ellery (7-1/2), & Avery (6)
amyamanda is offline  
#379 of 688 Old 08-20-2008, 12:09 PM
 
adoremybabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,190
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2 years ago I froze carrots after blanching them. Then when I thawed them, they were spongy and unappetizing. I do not have a place to put them in dry storage and am thinking about canning them. Will I regret canning them?

Married to DH 7 years and have three fantastic kiddos! DS 6, DD 4, and DS 2 ...... lo and behold another is on the way!

adoremybabe is offline  
#380 of 688 Old 08-20-2008, 02:37 PM
 
lmonter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: My own private Idaho
Posts: 6,382
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyamanda View Post
If you are nursing, they do not use epinephrine with the anaesthetic. Normally the epinephrine is what makes it "stick" - not using it will make the numbness wear off quicker.

Also, do not take Vitamin C (or eat high-C foods like oranges) before your appointment. Vitamin C apparently acts as a carrier to whisk the anaesthetic out of your body quicker. (It's good to take afterward if you want the numbness to go away fast.)

Maybe those were factors? Definitely tell your dentist, because they may have a longer-lasting drug to try.
By wearing off quicker I meant the endo stuff wore off 4 hours after the appointment vs. 8 hours after my dentist's numbing stuff. I can barely even drink anything when even my nose and eye are partially numb and I'm all drooly, you know? It was just nice to actually be able to eat something before bed last night. The Vit. C thing isn't a problem - my kids are sensitive to citrus when they're little and it now wreaks havoc with my tummy. They better appreciate all the weird quirks I get to deal with for having them.

Today I'm just sore-feeling, but will get yet more drugs again tomorrow. *sigh*

To top it off, last night I was feeling a bit tired (go figure), so I didn't haul the kids out to pick more green beans and corn at the u-pick place. It was beautiful, cool weather yesterday. Today it's pouring rain. Only upside to me not getting those today is that it gives me a little more time to concentrate on cutting up my peaches and freezing them in slices. Hence cleaning up my kitchen a little bit, which is very much needed.

Wife to an amazing hubby, mother hen to four chicken3.gif 
(If you're curious, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, and yes, it's a busy house)
lmonter is offline  
#381 of 688 Old 08-20-2008, 03:10 PM
 
Jennisee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 7,341
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks, guys. I don't feel quite so lame now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmonter View Post
Do you happen to have a carrier to stick kiddo on your back? I swear, that's the only thing that's saved me half the time. Granted, I don't climb ladders or tractors with her on my back, but still.
Not really. I borrowed a mai tei from my regional babywearing group's Lending Library, but I can't figure it out. The one time I tried to use it, I felt like I had pinched a nerve in my upper back for a couple days. I think it may be too small because the straps wrap around my neck, instead of my shoulders, and my boobs torpedo out around the body of the carrier. I have an adjustable pouch and a wrap that I use for wearing him in front, but I think he's starting to get too big for them. He's about 15 lb now.

I'm trying to can apple pie filling, and it's taken me over 2 hours to cut just 1/4 of the apples...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love_My_Babies View Post
This is awesome! This is exactly what I want to make, but I am yet to find a recipe that anyone can vouch for. Do you have the exact recipe/directions with ingredient measurments and processing times?
I modified the "Spaghetti Sauce with Meat" recipe in the Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving. I omitted the mushrooms and green peppers, and I added two cans of tomato paste to the sauteeing step. (On one of the PBS Saturday morning cooking shows, I learned that sauteeing tomato paste carmelizes the sugars and gives it a roasted flavor, just like with onions.)

If you don't have the book, let me know, and I'll try to post the recipe later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyamanda View Post
If you are nursing, they do not use epinephrine with the anaesthetic. Normally the epinephrine is what makes it "stick" - not using it will make the numbness wear off quicker.
Huh, I just had a crown put on, and they never asked if I was nursing, and they know I just had a baby. In fact, I checked kellymom.com before I went, and it said that dental anesthetics were fine. I'll have to ask my dentist now the next time I see him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adoremybabe View Post
2 years ago I froze carrots after blanching them. Then when I thawed them, they were spongy and unappetizing. I do not have a place to put them in dry storage and am thinking about canning them. Will I regret canning them?
I guess it depends what you mean by "spongy." You thawed them and tried to eat them raw? If so, it's probably just the normal texture of thawed vegetables. Once you freeze vegetables, they're pretty much only good for cooking. But if they're spongy and unappetizing after you cooked them, then I'd think maybe they got freezer burned and dried out. If you don't use a vacuum sealer, you really have to make sure you get the air out of the bag.
Jennisee is offline  
#382 of 688 Old 08-20-2008, 03:33 PM
 
lmonter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: My own private Idaho
Posts: 6,382
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennisee View Post
Not really. I borrowed a mai tei from my regional babywearing group's Lending Library, but I can't figure it out. The one time I tried to use it, I felt like I had pinched a nerve in my upper back for a couple days. I think it may be too small because the straps wrap around my neck, instead of my shoulders, and my boobs torpedo out around the body of the carrier. I have an adjustable pouch and a wrap that I use for wearing him in front, but I think he's starting to get too big for them. He's about 15 lb now.

I'm trying to can apple pie filling, and it's taken me over 2 hours to cut just 1/4 of the apples...
How are you tying it? I typically use the high tibetan back carry, especially when they're little like this. I put the long straps over my arms instead of crossing over my chest (that crossing thing feels like it's trying to suffocate me). Maybe they have an Ergo you could try for a little while? That may be easier to fasten up for you...

Apple pie filling... Yeah. Time consuming. It's currently 60*something outside and pouring like Seattle, so I'm thinking of making my own version of poptarts using phyllo dough and apple pie filling since I have so many jars left downstairs. Heating up the house a little with cooking is acceptable today, now I just need to finish cutting up and freezing the rest of my peach seconds.
I think we may have the most original Thanksgiving dessert at my house - peach and strawberry tiramisu. Gotta be prepared for it.



ETA: One thing I did last year was cut apples as I could, and stuck them in gallon ziplocs with a little water and Fruit Fresh (although this year I've got straight up citric acid - works awesome for de-mineralizing the dishwasher!). Took me about 2-3 days to cut up everything, then I drained and cooked/canned my little heart out the 4th day or so.

Wife to an amazing hubby, mother hen to four chicken3.gif 
(If you're curious, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, and yes, it's a busy house)
lmonter is offline  
#383 of 688 Old 08-20-2008, 04:53 PM
 
Blooming's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,902
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Where woud you find fruit fresh?

My dishwasher will thank you.
Blooming is offline  
#384 of 688 Old 08-20-2008, 05:26 PM
 
lmonter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: My own private Idaho
Posts: 6,382
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blooming View Post
Where would you find fruit fresh?

My dishwasher will thank you.
You don't want to buy fruit fresh for your dishwasher - it'd be way too expensive. Tang would be sorta cheaper. If you still need fruit fresh for cooking/canning/whatever, check in the baking aisle or canning aisle. Usually they're up on the tippy top shelf.

But I got 10lbs of plain citric acid from my local health food store for $30 the other day. Folks around here get 55lb bags of it because of how hard our water is - it can kill appliances in a matter of 4 years sometimes. Plus most people have wells of some sort, so yeah. I also use it to clean off my sticky canning lids when I have a nice stack of them that I need to clean and put away (I just do a quick 18 minute rinse in the d/w with them and some citric acid, then let air dry for a day after I shake off the excess water).

Wife to an amazing hubby, mother hen to four chicken3.gif 
(If you're curious, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, and yes, it's a busy house)
lmonter is offline  
#385 of 688 Old 08-20-2008, 05:46 PM
 
Jennisee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 7,341
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmonter View Post
How are you tying it? I typically use the high tibetan back carry, especially when they're little like this. I put the long straps over my arms instead of crossing over my chest (that crossing thing feels like it's trying to suffocate me). Maybe they have an Ergo you could try for a little while?
I screwed up my explanation. The things I described--pinched nerve feeling, torpedo boobs, etc.--were when I was wearing it on my front. I've never even successfully worn it on my back. He cries before I even get it tied. I was wondering if an Ergo might work better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmonter
I think we may have the most original Thanksgiving dessert at my house - peach and strawberry tiramisu. Gotta be prepared for it.
You know you have to share this recipe now, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmonter
ETA: One thing I did last year was cut apples as I could, and stuck them in gallon ziplocs with a little water and Fruit Fresh (although this year I've got straight up citric acid - works awesome for de-mineralizing the dishwasher!). Took me about 2-3 days to cut up everything, then I drained and cooked/canned my little heart out the 4th day or so.
Yeah, you're right. I prefer to do it all at one time so that my canning stuff doesn't sit out for days on end, but that's clearly not working right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmonter View Post
I also use it to clean off my sticky canning lids when I have a nice stack of them that I need to clean and put away (I just do a quick 18 minute rinse in the d/w with them and some citric acid, then let air dry for a day after I shake off the excess water).
What are "sticky canning lids?" Do you reuse the sealing lids? Or are you talking about the rings?

Thanks for the tip about demineralizing the dishwasher, LOL! Ours is pretty funky-looking. Our clothes washer, too.


Ok, DH is off work now! I'm going to toss the baby at him, so I can go chop apples. :
Jennisee is offline  
#386 of 688 Old 08-20-2008, 05:52 PM
 
lmonter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: My own private Idaho
Posts: 6,382
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennisee View Post
You know you have to share this recipe now, right?

Yeah, you're right. I prefer to do it all at one time so that my canning stuff doesn't sit out for days on end, but that's clearly not working right now.

What are "sticky canning lids?" Do you reuse the sealing lids? Or are you talking about the rings?
Just regular tiramisu, but instead of espresso, use pureed strawberries and peaches. Then put your nice looking thawed fruit on top in a nifty fan pattern. Mascarpone and ladyfingers are the other ingredients in there that I don't typically have on hand and have to go buy.

Yes, canning with kids takes a bit longer. You get used to modifying prep times.

Yeah, the rings, sorry. Tried putting them in the regular d/w cycle a bit, but it was just too much water at them and they tended to rust a lot quicker.

Wife to an amazing hubby, mother hen to four chicken3.gif 
(If you're curious, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, and yes, it's a busy house)
lmonter is offline  
#387 of 688 Old 08-20-2008, 06:35 PM
 
HydeParkB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,271
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone make tomato powder? I'm thinking this might be a good alternative to canning tomato paste. I was just going to dehydrate tomatoes, and use the "recipe" here:
http://www.budget101.com/recipes/id534.htm

Bridget. Momma to DD (4), expecting DS - 9/09, wife to SAHD. Gardener, coffee addict, urban dweller.
HydeParkB is offline  
#388 of 688 Old 08-22-2008, 05:46 PM
 
amyamanda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: VT (zone 5)
Posts: 1,436
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have a tree full of gorgeous plums (first time in five years...) and they are small and juicy and they cling to the pits. What the heck!?! I want to make pie filling and can it, but I'm thinking it's going to be very tricky to get all these pits out.

I wanted to dry some also, but they are very juicy and I think this isn't going to work very well.

I would love to hear from anyone who has put up plums in any form. Thanks.

Amanda, mom to Everest (12), Alden (10-1/2), Ellery (7-1/2), & Avery (6)
amyamanda is offline  
#389 of 688 Old 08-22-2008, 05:51 PM
 
amyamanda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: VT (zone 5)
Posts: 1,436
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennisee View Post
Huh, I just had a crown put on, and they never asked if I was nursing, and they know I just had a baby. In fact, I checked kellymom.com before I went, and it said that dental anesthetics were fine. I'll have to ask my dentist now the next time I see him.
Oh, heck, I think I got that wrong, I'm sorry. They definitely don't use the epinephrine when you are pregnant, but it might be okay when nursing.

What about vitamin C? Are you taking it, or do you eat/drink citrus in the AM, or any other foods with high vitamin C? This can easily affect the speed at which the anaesthetic wears off, as I understand from my somewhat holistic dentist.

Also I have heard that some people process it faster than others. I had a memorable filling replacement where I had to get re-jabbed about six times during the procedure. Ridiculous. After that I realized I was better off having minor work done without any novocaine. The jabbing hurt worse than the drilling (though it depends on the tooth and the damage - my dentist will do some without, and others he insists on using it.) Not that you should do this without it; it was just my experience being re-numbed and re-numbed and re-numbed that prompted me to talk with my dentist about other options.

I think they said that it was carbocaine that wore off too fast that time, and that they'd pick a different -caine the next time. You could ask.

Amanda, mom to Everest (12), Alden (10-1/2), Ellery (7-1/2), & Avery (6)
amyamanda is offline  
#390 of 688 Old 08-22-2008, 06:11 PM
 
UUMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 9,767
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Did we do this already? I thought I bookmarked something...

But I cant find anything in my bookmarks about food preservation...
UUMom is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off