Preserving the Harvest - Page 17 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#481 of 688 Old 09-03-2008, 06:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
so i am experimenting with making spiced apple sauce this year... and tried a batch already that was... ugh... bluh. the ball recipe book just says 'add some nutmeg, allspice, or cin for flavor' but they don't actually have any real suggestions or recipes. Any tried and true recipes/tips to share?

Mama to my three little loveys and living the good life in the beautiful Pacific North West 
#482 of 688 Old 09-03-2008, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanna-cat View Post
so i am experimenting with making spiced apple sauce this year... and tried a batch already that was... ugh... bluh. the ball recipe book just says 'add some nutmeg, allspice, or cin for flavor' but they don't actually have any real suggestions or recipes. Any tried and true recipes/tips to share?
I get the squished, cooked apples in the pot, heat up. Add sugar a cup at a time, tasting as I go. Add probably 1-2 tsp of cinnamon to start (I use either 4-qt or 8-qt pots), and freshly ground nutmeg - a little at a time (like 1/4tsp at a time, or whatever shavings come off my little grater). I just keep tasting and tasting (don't forget to blow on your spoon as you taste, molten apples will burn your tongue!) until it tastes how I want, then I put in the jars. So it totally varies from batch to batch - the amount of sugar and spices I mean. One time I even used brown sugar because I ran out of white sugar. Tastes just fine, just darkened the sauce a tiny bit.

Wife to an amazing hubby, mother hen to four chicken3.gif 
(If you're curious, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, and yes, it's a busy house)
#483 of 688 Old 09-04-2008, 03:38 PM

Hi all.

I have been canning since I was little with my grandma. I have all of her equipment now (a kettle, a funnel, canner). She didn't have a pressure cooker so that is what I want to buy next.

I get all my produce from the farmers market, but hope to have a garden some day (need a yard first).

I agree a subforum would be great.
#484 of 688 Old 09-04-2008, 05:19 PM

Great thread! I'm subbing - have to go back and read things for some of these recipes people mentioned (pickled carrots sound yummy!)

I don't do fruit, just veggies, and till now I have usually just blanched and frozen them. But my mil moved off the farm and decided I should get her water bath canner and 100 mason jars with lids. I did do some canning when I was living with my parents in my teens, and have done the odd jar of salsa since, but I'm basically starting from square one again, so may need lots of hand holding!

This weekend I want to do beet pickles. I am on salt restrictions, though, so am wondering if any has ever done them without salt or sugar. Also what (if any) spices/flavorings you add to your beet pickles?
#485 of 688 Old 09-04-2008, 05:41 PM

Ok you guys are so inspiring.

I think next I try pickles: pears (friends request), beets, and cucumber (of course).
#486 of 688 Old 09-05-2008, 01:29 AM

The pressure canner is plugging along right now. I roasted some bell peppers (1 jar green, 4 jars red/orange) and put them in pint jars. I'm so excited, hoping this turns out well.

Of course, I forgot the lemon juice until the jars all had their lids. So, out of the canner, open the jars, and add the lemon juice. I guess this is what happens when you are canning past your bedtime! I thought of splitting it into two nights, but I really didn't want to carry it over. Plus I think I might have some more canning tomorrow night. And hopefully I will have oodles of pears on Sunday.

Bridget. Momma to DD (4), expecting DS - 9/09, wife to SAHD. Gardener, coffee addict, urban dweller.
#487 of 688 Old 09-05-2008, 12:07 PM

Anybody have a good pickled eggs recipe to share? Haven't been able to find one anywhere.

Kris
#488 of 688 Old 09-05-2008, 05:40 PM

Anyone have a good "Dilly Beans" recipe, or something else to do with a butt-load of beans?

The community garden plot next to me was abandoned earlier in the year with a bunch of bean plants already planted. They've got an enormous load of beans on them that are going to waste and I've decided that I'd rather pick them and can/freeze 'em for us than let them feed the bunnies and bugs and otherwise go to waste. I'm going to freeze some, but I'd like to get some variety going too.
#489 of 688 Old 09-05-2008, 07:50 PM

ugh.

I didn't realize DH put a huge 25lb bag of carrots in the garage, along with 10lb of pickling cukes.

I've been so busy this week with other stuff that when I didn't see them in the fridge, I forgot we had them.

Found them this afternoon in the garage with mold, slime, and flies all over them.

I'm so irritated.

Me:
#490 of 688 Old 09-05-2008, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notwonamesalike View Post
I didn't realize DH put a huge 25lb bag of carrots in the garage, along with 10lb of pickling cukes.
Oh man! That just sucks.

Wife to an amazing hubby, mother hen to four chicken3.gif 
(If you're curious, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, and yes, it's a busy house)
#491 of 688 Old 09-05-2008, 10:02 PM

Oh no! That totally sucks NoTwo.

Sara- you asked about your cherry tomatoes. What I have been doing is "sun drying" them since they are a complete pain to use any other way IMO. I slice them in half, put them on an oiled baking sheet (with sides) cut side up, spritz them with olive oil and sprinkle with salt then bake forever and ever until they are done in the oven at it's lowest setting (170f for our oven). It takes allllllll day long, so I either do it right away in the AM or leave them in over night.

The water bath is going right now with the tomatoes I picked today. I am past the point of sauce and now just want to process everything and get it off my counter ASAP. This happens every year. I never get enough all at once to do a marathon canning day, so I do it one batch at a time as the tomatoes roll in.

I already made 4 gallons of spaghetti sauce and stuck it in the freezer flat in Ziploc bags. I just break off what I need for the meal . Tonight I have 5 quarts of plain quartered tomatoes to add to the 6 I already have in the cupboard. I just might make it this year without buying tomato sauce/salsa/tomatoes!

BTW y'all go on over to the 101 threads with your great links and suggestions so Purplegirl can stick them for next year

The Tabbie Family; DH , DS , DD , a few :, a couple : and me.
#492 of 688 Old 09-06-2008, 01:25 PM

I want to dehydrate tomatoes, zucchini, and pears all at the same time, will this be okay or will it make things taste funny?

Thanks!
#493 of 688 Old 09-06-2008, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenetabbie View Post
Sara- you asked about your cherry tomatoes. What I have been doing is "sun drying" them since they are a complete pain to use any other way IMO. I slice them in half, put them on an oiled baking sheet (with sides) cut side up, spritz them with olive oil and sprinkle with salt then bake forever and ever until they are done in the oven at it's lowest setting (170f for our oven). It takes allllllll day long, so I either do it right away in the AM or leave them in over night.
Man, I totally could have used that information YESTERDAY. I just tried sun-drying some tomatoes, but I didn't get that I needed to oil the pan first. Not only did I waste some tomatoes (which, since we have a bumper crop, isn't really a disaster) but I think I might need to buy a new pan! I don't know if I'm ever going to get these leathery things off.
#494 of 688 Old 09-06-2008, 07:23 PM

I am always good for advice after the fact Belleweather.

I hope your next batch comes out better!

I am beat. I went out this morning to the hardware store and picked up the last dozen 4 oz jars they had. Unreal how hard it has been this year to find a lot of canning stuff! Went to the grocery store and got more lemon juice (and tissues for the lingering cold and donuts. The donuts for fortification, you know.) Then DD and I headed on over to one of the local farms and picked up a 1/2 peck of pear seconds (which you would seriously never know are seconds they are SO good!) and a peck of peach seconds. The peaches made 3 batches of low-sugar (yay pomona's!) spread and 4 cups of chopped peaches for the freezer. The pears were sorted by ripeness and 1/2 made into pear honey (6 4 oz jars and 2 pints), the other half will ripen by Monday and be made into... hmmm.... I need suggestions for what to make! Whatever it is, I will have about 5 to 6 cups of chopped pears.

UM, BTW... OT but... where did the DDDDC come from!? Fess up ladies, who was it? You made me laugh this morning

#495 of 688 Old 09-06-2008, 09:27 PM

serenetabbie-I didn't do it but your DDDC is very appropriate. Do you mind sharing your pear honey recipe?

I have a bunch of pears, I was going to make some kind of pear sauce (like applesauce) but the honey sounds wonderful.
#496 of 688 Old 09-06-2008, 10:25 PM

I do not mind at all

I will put it here and in the preserving fruit 101 post. It's super easy.

4 c peeled, crushed pears
3 c sugar
1/4 tsp salt
3 tablespoons of lemon juice

- combine everything and cook in a heavy pan, stirring frequently, for about 15 to 20 minutes until it is thick enough to spread and honey colored
- pour into hot jars, adjust lids, process in water bath for 20 minutes for 1/2 pints

#497 of 688 Old 09-07-2008, 02:30 AM

Great thread - it's taken me ages to read through it though

I've done jam in previous years but have gotten more into preserving this year. This year a girlfriend showed a few of us how to make dill pickles and I have tonnes now. I made a few smaller jars for gifts. I bought some cukes to make sweet pickles for my kids this year but need a good recipe if anyone has any.

I've just finished canning a bushel of peaches for the first time. One jar didn't have enough to seal so the kids ate it and now they are begging to open one of the bigger jars - lol. I have 2 more bushels of seconds coming next week from the market and I will do more peaches and some jam. A girlfriend is giving me pears from her tree but she says they are really small so I don't know if I will can them or just make pear sauce or pear honey (which sounds wonderful).

I have some strawberry and strawberry-rhubarb and strawberry-raspberry jam from earlier in the season. I wish I had made more. My kids use it up like crazy.

I'd like to make some red pepper jelly for gifts at Christmas and I am hoping to do some salsa and my neighbours sweet chili sauce which my kids love. Also on the list is apple sauce and apple butter. I am on the lookout for a dehydrator or might ask my ILs for it for Christmas so I am ready for next year.

It will be canned goods all around for Christmas :
Karen

Blessed partner to a great guy, and mama to 4 amazing kids. Unfortunate target of an irrationally angry IRL stalker.

Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. ~ Buddha

#498 of 688 Old 09-07-2008, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Anyone have a good "Dilly Beans" recipe, or something else to do with a butt-load of beans?
I haven't opened them yet but this is the recipe I used

3.5-4lbs beans
5C pickling vinegar
3.5C water
4tbsp salt
4tbsp sugar

Mix the vinegar, water, salt & sugar & bring to a boil.

Place 1.2tsp dill seed or a large fresh dill head in jars. It says to add 1.4tsp crushed hot pepper & tsp mustard but I didn't do either.

Pack the beans into jars, fill to 1/2" from the top with brine & seal. Process for 5 minutes. I used both carrots & beans together.

Quote:
This weekend I want to do beet pickles. I am on salt restrictions, though, so am wondering if any has ever done them without salt or sugar. Also what (if any) spices/flavorings you add to your beet pickles?
the recipe I used has brown sugar & pickling spice which will have salt in it
#499 of 688 Old 09-07-2008, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenetabbie View Post
I do not mind at all

I will put it here and in the preserving fruit 101 post. It's super easy.

4 c peeled, crushed pears
3 c sugar
1/4 tsp salt
3 tablespoons of lemon juice

- combine everything and cook in a heavy pan, stirring frequently, for about 15 to 20 minutes until it is thick enough to spread and honey colored
- pour into hot jars, adjust lids, process in water bath for 20 minutes for 1/2 pints
TY for posting that! I am drowning in pears and need to find a canning set soon (never canned before) and places seemed to be sold out. I am sure I will have some pears that are riper than others, your recipe sounds wonderful!
#500 of 688 Old 09-07-2008, 02:40 PM

Right now I have a dehydrator full of tomatoes. With any luck we will have dried tomatoes for vodka sauce and sun dried tomato cream cheese.
#501 of 688 Old 09-07-2008, 03:27 PM

Mmm, you guys are making this pregnant girl HUNGRY! Thanks, tho, for all the great recipes!

I just got the fridge completely emptied of perishables yesterday and it felt so good to have all the current apples, peaches and pickles safely put up or dried. I was even hardly dissapointed when the farmers market got rained out, because I loved knowing that I wasn't behind on anything! But the garden had lots more tomatoes ripe this morning, so I'm starting on those this afternoon.

This sounds horrible, but does anyone have a salsa recipe that tastes just like the cheapo stuff you buy from the store? I've tried many recipes over the years, but can never get one I like as well. We're not fans of cilantro, if that helps...

Thanks!
#502 of 688 Old 09-07-2008, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieMF View Post
I haven't opened them yet but this is the recipe I used

3.5-4lbs beans
5C pickling vinegar
3.5C water
4tbsp salt
4tbsp sugar

Mix the vinegar, water, salt & sugar & bring to a boil.

Place 1.2tsp dill seed or a large fresh dill head in jars. It says to add 1.4tsp crushed hot pepper & tsp mustard but I didn't do either.

Pack the beans into jars, fill to 1/2" from the top with brine & seal. Process for 5 minutes. I used both carrots & beans together.

the recipe I used has brown sugar & pickling spice which will have salt in it
Carrie, that sounds perfect. Now I just have to haul my lazy rear off the couch to pick the beans and buy more jars.

And to whoever was complaining about how hard it is to find canning stuff this year, all I have to say is WORD. All of our grocery and big-box stores have been sold of of Jars for months and are starting to run short on lids and rings and funnels and things too. I'm having to run from one tiny hardware store to another and take what I can get as far as brands, sizes and widemouthednesses. All the hardware guys say it's the economy that has people running scared.
#503 of 688 Old 09-07-2008, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyApple View Post
This sounds horrible, but does anyone have a salsa recipe that tastes just like the cheapo stuff you buy from the store? I've tried many recipes over the years, but can never get one I like as well. We're not fans of cilantro, if that helps...

Thanks!
The stuff from the store has all sorts of preservatives and unnatural ingredients that give it that "special" taste. Any salsa you make at home is going to taste fresh. I doubt you can replicate the chemical taste at home.
#504 of 688 Old 09-07-2008, 08:54 PM

Hi, I'm just joining this thread and enjoying reading all the posts!

It was a tomato-o-rama around here today. 7 qts. of tomatoes canned, 2 qts. of tomato puree in the freezer, and a load of tomatoes in the dehydrator as we speak.

Also the motherlode of roasted sweet peppers still need to be peeled so they can go in the freezer.

I have peppers chopped for hot pepper jam, so I'm hoping to make that before bed tonight.

And me oh my I have a lot of cucumbers from the farmer's market yesterday. They're coming to an end around here so I bought a lot. My dh likes refrigerator pickles, so they're not quite such a big project.

thanks, everyone for all the great ideas!
#505 of 688 Old 09-07-2008, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinky View Post
I have peppers chopped for hot pepper jam, so I'm hoping to make that before bed tonight.
YUM! can you share how you make it? I love hot pepper jam:
#506 of 688 Old 09-07-2008, 09:29 PM

Does anyone make a bunch of pumkin pies and freeze them? Pumkins are only $1 each at the farmer's market so I was thinking about making three gluten free pies, one for now and a couple for later.

Do you think it would work if I freeze them in a large bag?
#507 of 688 Old 09-07-2008, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyeta View Post
YUM! can you share how you make it? I love hot pepper jam:
Well, I don't do anything tricky, I just follow the directions on the Sure-Jell Low Sugar pectin box. Which I'm remembering doesn't have the sugar listed (a typo), I use 3 cups (I think I looked it up online at one point). The only thing I do differently is that I generally use all red (or sometimes yellow or orange) peppers, no green. Although in this particular batch I did need to use a few green jalepenos to have enough.

I have made two batches already this season but this is the first one that is 100% my own peppers!

My last couple of batches have been a little runny at room temperature, but are definitely spreadable once chilled. Yum, yum--I love it on crackers with cream cheese.
#508 of 688 Old 09-08-2008, 12:23 AM

I've got 3 pints of pear sauce in the canner right now. I flavored it with ginger, cloves and cinnamon. Can't wait to try it.

I added too much water when I was cooking the pears, and I have about a quart of pear water/juice left over. Do you think I can do anything with it - like make jelly, or is it worthless? It's got lemon and brown sugar in it too. I guess I could see what it tastes like once it cools. Maybe it's worth making into popsicles or sorbet, if nothing else.

Bridget. Momma to DD (4), expecting DS - 9/09, wife to SAHD. Gardener, coffee addict, urban dweller.
#509 of 688 Old 09-08-2008, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by velochic View Post
The stuff from the store has all sorts of preservatives and unnatural ingredients that give it that "special" taste. Any salsa you make at home is going to taste fresh. I doubt you can replicate the chemical taste at home.
Thats what I was afraid of. My normal homemade stuff is fine for family dinners and snacks, I just really like cheap salsa and good chips when we're doing girls margarita night! Hopefully a couple times a month wont kill me. Thanks for the info.
#510 of 688 Old 09-08-2008, 12:10 PM

I made my salt and sugar free beet pickles, and then did some ginger carrot pickles too

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page