apples, apples, teeny, tiny apples-- recipes? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 07-03-2008, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
we have an apple tree in our yard that this year has given us a bumper crop of apples maybe 2-4 inches in diameter. And they taste good! And I love green apples.

I was wondering if anyone knew a way of cooking them/preserving them so I don't have to peel & core each and every one?

In my mind I was thinking applesaucse and putting it through some sort of machine...?

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#2 of 7 Old 07-03-2008, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would make jelly! (sorry I dont have a recipe on hand!) But you make the juice for the jelly without having to peel or core the apples.

My grandpa makes his apple sauce that way too, he just cuts the apples into chunks, cooks it, mashes it and then presses it though a metal mesh sieve. You want to find one with larger holes (usually cheap dollar store ones have the bigger holes in the mesh), the fine mesh ones will clog up and wont work. The apple 'meat' goes through the sieve, but the peels, core and seeds get left behind. It also makes it a pretty pink color from cooking the apple peels.
#3 of 7 Old 07-03-2008, 03:06 PM

Get a food mill, (manual one). Just cook the apples, you would probably not even need to cut them in half, and run through the strainer. I make applesauce that way all the time and it tastes great! You can get food mills on ebay...heres one

Tanya
#4 of 7 Old 07-03-2008, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

Those are both neat ideas! I'll try the strainer this weekend, because I think I have something like that at home already.

the food mill looks really neat, although I have to admit, part of me is wondering if m food processer could do something like that.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#5 of 7 Old 07-03-2008, 05:51 PM

Yep...food processor can too...but that way you wont strain out the seeds and peels, just grind them up . My girls love to do the foodmill, so its easy for me

Tanya
#6 of 7 Old 07-03-2008, 08:37 PM

apple butter
apple sauce
apples in brandy (yum)

louloubean in love with bryan, mom of boo squeak and nor nor: and 7 chickens
#7 of 7 Old 07-04-2008, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

wow! how can I make apple butter-- intersting.

I'm going to go pick now, and I'm going to borrow my mom's huge pressure cooker to cook up the apples.

I'm going to do a couple test runs in our small pressure cooker. I'd really like to use the food processer if possible.

Thanks so much for all the help!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page