A garden of my own - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-13-2008, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is it! We closed on a cute little house this weekend, so I finally get to have my VERY OWN garden!!!:

I grew up working in my mom's garden, and I've been helping in the gardens of various friends and family for the last few years while growing tomatoes, beans, basil, and pansies on my tiny tiny fire escape in Toronto. Now I'm moving to balmy southern Illinois, and MY OWN GARDEN! Okay, so the ground is pretty steep, and there's not that much space, and it's all clay, and it's already July... But still! This is so exciting! Just thought I'd share.

Let's see, what shall I plant?

DD 7/07 DS 1/11

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2008, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tithonia View Post
This is it! We closed on a cute little house this weekend, so I finally get to have my VERY OWN garden!!!:

I grew up working in my mom's garden, and I've been helping in the gardens of various friends and family for the last few years while growing tomatoes, beans, basil, and pansies on my tiny tiny fire escape in Toronto. Now I'm moving to balmy southern Illinois, and MY OWN GARDEN! Okay, so the ground is pretty steep, and there's not that much space, and it's all clay, and it's already July... But still! This is so exciting! Just thought I'd share.

Let's see, what shall I plant?
Congratulations! Well, maybe there are some tomatoes you can still grow, and I live in New England and often our rose bushes still look good in November. What do you think?
Old 07-14-2008, 10:30 AM

Yaa. congrats. Its always exciting. That is how I felt when we bought our first house 2 years ago.
hmm not sure what is good to plant in your area, you could always start with raised beds.
Old 07-14-2008, 11:44 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, I'm thinking of trying to get in a couple of raised beds as soon as possible. Since I have no idea what the growing season will be there, I'm thinking I'll just try some stuff and see if it makes it in time. I'm hoping the warm soil and weather will get something like tomatoes off to a good start, and then we'll see how the long the days stay long and warm enough. Then maybe I'll see if I can get in another bed or two to be ready for next spring.

I've always been interested in growing roses, but it's still a land of the unknown for me. I think I'll be doing some sneaking around to see what other people grow in their gardens in the area!

I've been dreaming gardens and reading books and making plans for the last 6 years...

DD 7/07 DS 1/11

User Tag List