How will I know when my squash are.......... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 07-25-2008, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ready to pick? I planted some butternut squash and my plant is loaded with squash, how will I know the right time to pick them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 07-25-2008, 09:07 PM

What zone? I'm in 5, and I didn't pick last year until they were a nice even orangey color, late August/early September.

DD1 = 8 yrs *** DD2 = 6 yrs
#3 of 9 Old 07-27-2008, 02:40 AM

They should change color and depending on the type get a yellow to orange rind color. And the stripes become less noticable
#4 of 9 Old 07-27-2008, 02:41 PM

Usually after the first frost. When the plant stops producing and starts to die back stop watering. The last two years my butternuts got too much water at the end and started splitting. It was kind of hard not to water them though when there were other plants in that row using the same irrigation, but if your watering by hand then you shouldn't have that problem. Just stop watering like for pumpkins. In my case I will just plug thier irrigation line. HTH

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

And 3rdtri.gif with #3 bigeyes.gif Due in August 2013!!!

#5 of 9 Old 07-27-2008, 02:41 PM

Forgot to say that I think that I read somewhere if you wait to pick until after the first frost they are sweeter.

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

#6 of 9 Old 08-02-2008, 12:11 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

I was a little bit worried about the splitting or getting moldy because we have had so much rain this summer.

THANKS
#7 of 9 Old 08-02-2008, 12:19 AM

Well, really what you need to worry about is those darn squirrels! That was my biggest problem last year. Am still thinking about making little chickenwire cages for each squash. Am worried this makes me sound insane.

DD1 = 8 yrs *** DD2 = 6 yrs
#8 of 9 Old 08-02-2008, 01:14 AM

I came on here to post the same question.....I'm in a hot area zone 8/9ish so if I wait till the first frost I'll be waiting years it rare to get frost in this microclimate. I have some spaghetti squash that was bright yellow already for 2 week so I picked those, let them cure a few days outside and brought them in. I havent yet cooked them to see if they are indeed ready yet.

I have a bunch of butternut squash already a nice dark tan color ( oh how I want some roasted squash) but I'm not sure if its OK to just leave them on the vine or if I need to start pikcing or they'll rot?

I planted these vines back in Early April, so theres alot of squash that looks ready along with a bunch of new flowers still.
#9 of 9 Old 08-02-2008, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliveoildog View Post
I was a little bit worried about the splitting or getting moldy because we have had so much rain this summer.

THANKS
I always don't think about how other climates get rain during the summer months. We don't get any rain at all, if we do it barely does anything, but wet the ground a little. So yeah, I would pick them if it is going to rain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogal17 View Post
I came on here to post the same question.....I'm in a hot area zone 8/9ish so if I wait till the first frost I'll be waiting years it rare to get frost in this microclimate. I have some spaghetti squash that was bright yellow already for 2 week so I picked those, let them cure a few days outside and brought them in. I havent yet cooked them to see if they are indeed ready yet.

I have a bunch of butternut squash already a nice dark tan color ( oh how I want some roasted squash) but I'm not sure if its OK to just leave them on the vine or if I need to start pikcing or they'll rot?

I planted these vines back in Early April, so theres alot of squash that looks ready along with a bunch of new flowers still.
Yes, and some places it doesn't get frost. As long as it isn't raining you don't need to pick them. Keep them on the vine as long as possible unless they are getting wet when you water. They are fine on the vine just like pumpkins.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page