Tomato leaves getting brown - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-29-2008, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My Roma tomato leaves are all getting brown areas around the edges. They look the way leaves look when they turn brown in the fall. The rest of my tomatoes are doing fine. What's going on??? I've never had a garden before...

We've had a TON of rain over the past week- could that have anything to do with it? I'll try to post some pictures later. Any insight is appreciated- I'll be so disappointed if I lose my Romas! I'm looking forward to spaghetti sauce so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2008, 06:31 PM

Ahhh, questions beget questions:

Where are you located?
Whats your soil like?
Have you been fertilizing?
If so, with what?
Is it all leaves, or only the bottom leaves?
Old 07-29-2008, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

I'm in coastal NH- Zone 5. My soil is good- it is a raised garden bed that is a 50-50 mix of loam and organic compost. I haven't fertilized with anything, and it is all of the leaves.

Thanks!
Old 07-29-2008, 07:31 PM

Try dissolving some Epsom Salts around the base of the plant. You can either dissolve it in water and use a watering can or sprinkle it around the base and water gently with a hose till it dissolves.
Tomatoes are magnesium hungry and I have found that this can help.
Each bacg of salts has measurements on the back as to how much to use.

Mom to Bouncy Breastfed fly-by-nursing1.gifDD energy.gifLoving Woman to DH, RIP DS Born at 22 weeks  ribbonpb.gif

Old 07-29-2008, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeaFarmer View Post
Try dissolving some Epsom Salts around the base of the plant. You can either dissolve it in water and use a watering can or sprinkle it around the base and water gently with a hose till it dissolves.
Tomatoes are magnesium hungry and I have found that this can help.
Each bacg of salts has measurements on the back as to how much to use.
This is really interesting, I'm starting to think Epsom salts are the answer to everything!
Here's a question about the Epsom salts, do they serve the same function as Fish emulsion? I have been feeding mine the fish emulsion but they still aren't producing much fruit. Would adding the Epsom salts help?

To the OP: we had brown leaves for a while too. They seemed to go away when we used the fish emulsion. In fact I think my whole garden is getting a bath in it tonight.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:48 PM

Well, Fish emulsion is more of a growth supporter and provides vitamins and amino acids to plants(sorta like organic miracle grow). Empsom Salts provide magnesium to plants. That is nessecarry for tomatoes, roses, berries, and other fruits to grow. Its one nutrient that they crave and often lack.
I use the salts on my berries(raspberries, strawberries..etc), tomatoes, cantelpoes, pumpkins and roses.

Mom to Bouncy Breastfed fly-by-nursing1.gifDD energy.gifLoving Woman to DH, RIP DS Born at 22 weeks  ribbonpb.gif

Old 07-29-2008, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

Old 07-29-2008, 10:32 PM

Honestly it looks like they are just lacking nutrients. I would try a bit of vegitable plant food(or even the fish emulsion) and maybe the salts. How often are you watering during dry periods?
Tomatoes require a decent amount of water, but it really doesnt look to me like you are over watering-cause that would cause a nutrient flush and turn the leaves yellow.
It looks to me like they are drying. Also check for green catapillars, fat lil things that get about 3" average in length. You can pick em off and cut them in half to get rid of them. Also look for little white clusters that look like tiny white eggs clustered together. This is a bug that eats a hole in the stem and kills from the inside out. If you see that, then cut off the affected stem and put something strong on the cut off part of the plant(toss the stem you cut off in the garbage) to kill the bug infected area(sevin dust works the best), you can use neem oil as well if you are gardening totally organic. If using the neem oil-apply it every day for 3 or 4 days to be sure the area is well treated.
HTH

Old 07-29-2008, 11:16 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the help. I'm going to go out and get the Epsom salts tomorrow.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:47 AM

Thats what mine are looking like too, I'll haveto try this epsom salt thing!!

User Tag List