Keeping out CATS? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 08-04-2008, 11:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ack! the neighbourhood cats are digging up my winter seedlings ( New Zealand here) and leaving me cat poo. Surburban 'hood and fencing not an option . . .

anything I can do?

finally midwife mama to my home-birthed nurslings: Noemi Sakura 16.10.07 & Seder Pádraig 13.7.09 and partner to their lovely daddy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 08-05-2008, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Grrr, I HATE irresponsible pet owners! NO pet should be allowed to roam. Too many cat owners are under the illusion that their little kitties don't really leave their yards, or bother the neighbors or harm the native wildlife. :

Rent or purchase a trap and catch them. Return them to their owners, ONCE, and see what happens. Explain that their cats are a major nuisance and are soiling and causing destruction in your garden.

If the cats return (their owners have made the choice for you), trap 'em again and then either take them to the vet or....

Some people also have luck with sprinkling cayenne pepper around on the ground beneath their disturbed flowers/veggies. The pepper will burn the cats' mouths when they lick their feet. They'll know this is not good and might equate it with your garden.

Some people also place plastic or metal forks, handles buried down, into the same areas where cats are a problem. Their hind ends and feet don't take kindly to sharp spikes!

Of course, these last to options can cause problems for your children and pets, too.

If you are in the city limits, check and see if there are statutes regarding roaming pets. Perhaps being cited by the law and being fined could curtail the problem.
#3 of 10 Old 08-05-2008, 12:50 PM

We had a load of cats in our neighborhood until a couple of neighbors & ourselves decided to begin trapping them & taking them to the pound. It sounds horrible, but irresponsible pet ownership is a HUGE pet peeve & I don't appreciate feral cat turds in my kids sandbox OR our garden. At least taking them in will get them spayed/neutered & they won't be able to repopulate. Sorry if this is an unpopular opinion.

I've heard that you could sprinkle cayenne pepper as well, but we didn't try that. I was initially ticked at strays using our play areas as a litterbox, so we took a little more drastic measure. It's effective though.
#4 of 10 Old 08-05-2008, 12:54 PM

My husband is thinking about a water sprayer that works with motion detective to install around the garden. I'd like to hear about it, if anyone has tried.
#5 of 10 Old 08-05-2008, 12:56 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
At least taking them in will get them spayed/neutered & they won't be able to repopulate.
Yes, but it still doesn't stop the problem with their damaging private property and the harm they inflict on native wildlife.

Any and all cats that show up on our property are trapped and killed (by us, now that our local vets have raised their charges to $10 per animal, young or adult). End of problem.
#6 of 10 Old 08-05-2008, 03:14 PM

Yup. They make bb guns for a reason, too.
Just enough to smart.
#7 of 10 Old 08-05-2008, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greencat View Post
My husband is thinking about a water sprayer that works with motion detective to install around the garden. I'd like to hear about it, if anyone has tried.
Yes they do work, but are a bit pricey around here. My best friend uses one for keeping neighborhood cats out of her garden.
#8 of 10 Old 08-06-2008, 10:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by baby71 View Post
Yup. They make bb guns for a reason, too.
Just enough to smart.
Dont do that. bbs get lodged in the body and cause abcesses. Cats are a nasty inconvieniance to have(trust me I know), but please don't harm them.

Ive settled for chasing any and all cats. I have a collie cross that LOVES to herd them when I send out to the tune of "THERES A CAT!!! GET THAT CAT!!!" -she would NEVER harm a cat or other animal though.
If I can catch a cat I take it to the shelter.

Decluttering 500/2010
#9 of 10 Old 08-07-2008, 01:53 AM

OKay-you could also just think like an animal-sounds weird but works. Ages ago when I was a teenager we had a very elderly cat that would go out and bask in the sun in one corner of the yard. A neighbirhood tom cat would come over and beat the crap out of him which meant loads of vet bills. We took the cat over, sent the owner vet bills to no avail. He was a menace to the whoel neighborhood. My dad got fed up and went out one night and "marked" the yard. The cat stayed away. May not be the answer you want but effective. There is also a very effective spray called OFF that you can spray around the yard to deter cats abut it may not sit well if you have pets yourself.
#10 of 10 Old 08-07-2008, 02:46 AM

I used to live in an urban community with LOADS of (F-ing!) cats. Between the coons and the cats I had a heck of a problem. I tried cayenne, I tried fences, I tried scare mats, I tried it all.

THE ONLY THING THAT WORKED was to trap them and bring them to the pound. There was only one that had a collar with a phone # and I did call her and brought him home and she was apalled that he was travelling as far as he was (10 blocks! Regularly! I saw him every day!) but the ones w/o collars went to the pound. I have no regrets.

I have to tell you that it was a constant battle though.

Now I have bird problems..... but I have found a solution that may work for your cat problem now that I think of it! I bought some black plastic mesh (not bird mesh, it is very firm) and made all sorts of protecter cages out of it. Maybe you could surround your beds with something like it? I purchased mine at home depot. I used baby zip-ties to fasten them together and old metal kabob thingies to sink into the ground and hold on to them so the birds (or cats, or toddler, or whatever) would have a hard time getting them off.

I have some pics on my blog if you want to take a look: http://themorsefamilyspot.blogspot.c...ove-birds.html

oh and notice in one of those pics that my handy hubby made me an enitire BOX that covers the entire bed that's when I was REALLY frustrated and almost in tears!

Erin sharing life with a burly husband and two rad boys 7/06 & 5/09 : : Zone 9-ish

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page