Preserving 101; fruits - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 52 Old 07-05-2009, 04:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormySar View Post
i am looking for an apple pie filling to can, that isn't chock full of sugar. I found a recipe and used it this weekend that called for 4.5 cups of sugar for 7 qts. Don't get me wrong, the filling is devine, but is there something that is still really good and tastes like apple pie, without the tons of sugar?
I just noticed the date of your post, but, something to maybe try this next year is just can your apple slices in a very light simple syrup. Then you just drain the apples, mix with your pie filling spices, and bake. Or throw some crumb topping on top of the drained apples, and viola! Apple crisp. Then you don't have the goo-globs like I end up with using the actual (home) canned pie filling. Corn starch just does weird things to me - it cooperates the first time around, but reheating and whatnot... just, not the bees knees for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 425lisamarie View Post
I have a general question about jam. Is freezer jam good? I've never made it, but I recently spent countless hours picking cleaning and seeding blackberries and I just can't get the motivation to can them!
Again, I know I'm late to the party.
Yes. Freezer jam is quicker as well. Just make sure you've got the freezer space. The color is typically brighter and fresher as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by notwonamesalike View Post
Ok..first...the Vanilla Pear Sauce is a HUGE hit here! We've been eating all winter and spring and can't wait until pears are ready to make more.

Now..on to my canning questions. I want to make Cherry Limeade Concentrate. However - I can't find any recipes for it. Do you think I could use the Strawberry Lemonade concentrate recipe from the Ball canning book and substitute the strawberries for cherries and the lemon juice for lime juice?
That's what I'm planning to go off of for my Cherry Limeade here soon... Might do a test batch of just 6-7 pints at first though, see how it turns out before making another batch or two. I think regardless of the acidity of the cherries, the lime juice and sugar should counteract anything there anyway.

Hmmm, pear sauce.... I think my Squeezo is going to be getting quite a workout this year.

Wife to an amazing hubby, mother hen to four chicken3.gif 
(If you're curious, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, and yes, it's a busy house)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 52 Old 07-05-2009, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmonter View Post

That's what I'm planning to go off of for my Cherry Limeade here soon... Might do a test batch of just 6-7 pints at first though, see how it turns out before making another batch or two. I think regardless of the acidity of the cherries, the lime juice and sugar should counteract anything there anyway.

Hmmm, pear sauce.... I think my Squeezo is going to be getting quite a workout this year.

I made the Cherry Limeade with the above recipe and it turned out delicious. ) Yay!

Me:
#33 of 52 Old 07-06-2009, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notwonamesalike View Post
I made the Cherry Limeade with the above recipe and it turned out delicious. ) Yay!
Did you use 6 cups of pitted cherries or did you measure with the pit in? Last year I messed up with the strawberry lemonade - did 6 cups of pureed strawberries instead of 6 cups hulled. Luckily this year I remembered and redid the math (3.75 cups of puree is about equal to 6 cups hulled).

#34 of 52 Old 07-09-2009, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Did you use 6 cups of pitted cherries or did you measure with the pit in? Last year I messed up with the strawberry lemonade - did 6 cups of pureed strawberries instead of 6 cups hulled. Luckily this year I remembered and redid the math (3.75 cups of puree is about equal to 6 cups hulled).
you know...I didn't even think about that. I did six cup pureed strawberries when I made the strawberry lemonade.

I also did 6 cups pureed cherries. Did yours spoil at all when you did 6 cups pureed.

I'm getting ready to do the same with raspberries - but I was going to strain the seeds out. Same process you think? 6 cups whole raspberries - cooked and strained and just use whatever juice is left?

Me:
#35 of 52 Old 07-10-2009, 02:30 PM

has anyone here ever tried making homemade fruit leathers? I've been looking at a few recipes and i think we're going to give it a try this weekend, i'll have to let you know how it turns out! you basically puree your fruit, let it cook down, spread it out then dehydrate it in the oven or a food dehydrator. i'm going to do apple blueberry and apple raspberry.

Claire, mommy to Robbie (8/23/08) and Brena (4-22-11) and wifey to Joe

#36 of 52 Old 07-22-2009, 03:54 PM

I have a question and after searching forums this seems to be the best place for it.

Last night I canned 12 pints of blueberries. I used the raw pack method and a light syrup. Most of them came through fine. One was visibly leaking. There is about an inch or more of syrup missing. Two more seemed to be leaking as there was syrup dripping down the side but nothing visible missing. I set these three aside on a towel and went to bed as it was late.

The two that were barely leaking sealed. Are they OK then? I was told they wouldn't seal and I would have to reprocess but they seem to have a good seal. I took the ring off and pushed up on the lid and it stayed put. (was well as the lid being down.)

As for the third. I guess if the other two are OK I should just put it in the fridge and use it soon? I don't want to waste all the energy to processes on jar.

Thanks!
#37 of 52 Old 07-22-2009, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniT View Post
As for the third. I guess if the other two are OK I should just put it in the fridge and use it soon? I don't want to waste all the energy to processes on jar.
If the other two are sealed well, I'd just wash the outside of the jars before popping them into storage. And stick the third into the fridge. No point in reprocessing a single jar, particularly if it doesn't have enough syrup in it.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#38 of 52 Old 07-25-2009, 06:45 PM

Hi! More questions about canning.

I just made my first batch of cherry jam. This was my first canning experience, ever.

So, I have a few questions about canning. I read the Joy of Cooking instructions, and they made it sound like everything must be quite precise and perfect. Well, we didn't follow all the directions and I'm wondering if anyone can confirm that this stuff isn't necessary? Some things that the book said, that we didn't do:
keep the cans from touching each other in the boiling water bath
leave the jars undisturbed for 12 hours after canning
remove the pot from heat and let sit for 5 minutes before removing the jars (we just took them straight out when the time was up)

So, what do you think. Are these directions just "it's best to do" but Ok if you don't, or are these things really important? Our jars all sealed, and everything looks fine.

TIA!

Mama to my sweet pea:, can't believe how fast she's growing!
#39 of 52 Old 07-25-2009, 07:54 PM

keep the cans from touching each other in the boiling water bath
Sometimes if they jiggle next to each other they can break. Depends on your comfort level.

leave the jars undisturbed for 12 hours after canning
So the pectin can set up while cooling and so the lids can seal on their own. And so the contents can settle on their own - like if you were doing peaches or whatever.

remove the pot from heat and let sit for 5 minutes before removing the jars (we just took them straight out when the time was up)
That's to minimize thermal shock. A cracked jar is not only messy, but heartbreaking.

It's nice to be able to do these things, but yeah, sometimes you're just not going to have time to do every single little thing. I will say though, don't have the a/c running 5 feet from your stove/canner when you're loading/unloading. Found that out the hard way. Thermal shock is very real.

#40 of 52 Old 07-26-2009, 10:30 PM

I followed the directions....pitted, halved, cold packed into quart jars with a light syrup and processed for 25 minutes.

I opened a jar after it cooled....and the apricots can't even be lifted out with a spoon hardly. They just turn into mush. (They were not mushy apricots - slightly firm to begin with actually)

Do you think I over processed them? What can I do with them now?

Me:
#41 of 52 Old 07-05-2010, 09:42 PM

Bumping the canning threads.

Not all those who wander are lost 
#42 of 52 Old 07-10-2010, 11:02 AM

I have a question about making/canning jelly. The other day I was making jelly using a pectin package. I was directed to bring the 6 c. of juice, 1/4 c. sugar, and the pectin to a rolling boil. I started warming up the juice while I was finishing lunch, and then when I was ready to work, I added the other ingredients, and brought the temp up to med. high and then high. It took FOREVER to bring it to a rolling boil! Over half an hour! I was using a stainless steel stock pot (not a very heavy-duty pan). Does anyone have any tips?! I just didn't think it should take soooo long to cook!
#43 of 52 Old 07-10-2010, 04:45 PM

Was the juice room temperature or cold from the fridge?
What size stockpot?
I do my 4-cup-strawberry+3-cup-sugar+pectin+1-cup-water in a heavy-bottomed 4-quart stockpot so it has a lot of surface area on the bottom and heats up slightly quicker (but that also means you need to keep your eye on it a little closer). I think it took me about 45-min to make 2 batches of freezer jam the other day from start to cooling in the freezer jars. I had the berries already pureed and in the fridge, so the berries were even cold to boot.

#44 of 52 Old 08-08-2010, 11:08 AM

Lmonter, belated thanks for the suggestions. I used a different, heavier pan on my next batch and it worked quite well.

Next up: questions about food strainers and the mills. This week I see the Norpro food strainer on sale for 29.99 and the 3.5 qt foley food mill for 25.99. I want something to mainly use to make applesauce, but also for spaghetti sauce. Does anyone have advice for me? Are either of these items good products? If you have used both and can compare the two, that would be especially helpful. I just want something fast and easy!
#45 of 52 Old 08-08-2010, 04:52 PM

Splurge and get yourself the Victorio (is it Norpro now?). You can thank me later. Make sure you get the proper screen(s) for tomatoes/berries/sauce. I haven't used my pumpkin screen on my Squeeze in the last two years, just the other two screens.

The foley food mill kinda sucks for even a single batch of tomato sauce using just 40-60 romas. Takes forever, is a complete pain to clean (which, so is my Squeezo, but my Squeezo is much, much, much more efficient).

#46 of 52 Old 08-09-2010, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemoon View Post
Great!

I'll start with a question. Does anyone have a small batch recipe for homemade catsup? All of mine start with ridiculous amounts of tomatoes. I'm looking for something that starts with under 10 lbs of tomatoes.
Pretty sure there is a recipe in here

Check your library, they might have a copy!
#47 of 52 Old 08-12-2010, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Splurge and get yourself the Victorio (is it Norpro now?). You can thank me later. Make sure you get the proper screen(s) for tomatoes/berries/sauce. I haven't used my pumpkin screen on my Squeeze in the last two years, just the other two screens.

The foley food mill kinda sucks for even a single batch of tomato sauce using just 40-60 romas. Takes forever, is a complete pain to clean (which, so is my Squeezo, but my Squeezo is much, much, much more efficient).
Lmonter, okay, great, I'm looking into the Norpro. Looks like it gets mostly good reviews on Amazon, too. You really love your Squeezo, right? I'm pretty sure I read that in a different thread. Will I regret getting the Norpro and wish I had gotten the Squeezo in the first place? Looks like it's almost all metal so will probably last longer...any other advantages?
#48 of 52 Old 08-12-2010, 10:05 PM

Yes, I puffy heart my Squeezo. I just quarter and steam my apples, toss in the Sqeezo, and boom, applesauce. Downfall? It's aluminum, and some metal that can and will rust. So you have to wash and dry right then - air-drying overnight can even do goofy stuff to the screens. I wish the screens and stand/handle thingie were stainless steel instead, but hey, it was the 70's. That would be the draw of the Norpro - stainless steel and the plastic can take a whirl on the top rack of the dishwasher.

#49 of 52 Old 08-19-2010, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Yes, I puffy heart my Squeezo. I just quarter and steam my apples, toss in the Sqeezo, and boom, applesauce.
Oooh, that does sound awesome. Now I'm actually leaning towards getting a Kitchen Aid stand mixer. I can borrow the attachments that I'd need, from a friend, and consider purchasing those at a later time. Thanks for the info!
#50 of 52 Old 08-19-2010, 11:44 AM

What's everyone canning these days? How's it going? I've been on a canning hiatus for a couple weeks due to traveling and my sister's wedding, but I'm excited to get back into it. I want to make several kinds of jam and jellies.
#51 of 52 Old 08-21-2010, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie29 View Post
Oooh, that does sound awesome. Now I'm actually leaning towards getting a Kitchen Aid stand mixer. I can borrow the attachments that I'd need, from a friend, and consider purchasing those at a later time. Thanks for the info!
Again, fwiw, I have a KA, and when it dies (or I luck into winning something else) I want a Bosch mixer. No, I don't think I can grind meat with the Bosch (although maybe, there are also a ton of attachments!), but I'd get more daily use out of that sucker. We go through more bread than meat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie29 View Post
What's everyone canning these days? How's it going? I've been on a canning hiatus for a couple weeks due to traveling and my sister's wedding, but I'm excited to get back into it. I want to make several kinds of jam and jellies.
Finishing the last of my rotting nectarines, then pickles, then waiting for hubby to come home so he can bring me boxes and boxes of whatever's ripe next Friday (could still be peaches/nectarines, could be pears, you just don't know). Also freezing huckleberries I got at the farmer's market since I didn't get out to pick this year and it's supposedly been a horrid year crop-wise for huckleberries.

#52 of 52 Old 09-07-2010, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBeger View Post
Pretty sure there is a recipe in here

Check your library, they might have a copy!
Thanks! I'll check it out!

::::: Married for ten years to my good man :. Mama to my sweet and funny boy and my lovely little girl

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page