Preserving 101; fruits - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 52 Old 09-05-2008, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I thought I would get off my duff and start the threads destined for sticky-ness at long last

Let's make this thread the go-to place for instructions, questions and suggestions on preserving fruits. We can include canning, pickling, drying, freezing, recipes, etc. etc.. For the sake of ease in finding things, "Fruit" will include those items usually called fruit by the general public. What do you all think?

The Tabbie Family; DH , DS , DD , a few :, a couple : and me.
#2 of 52 Old 09-05-2008, 07:21 PM

Great idea!

afro.jpg
#3 of 52 Old 09-05-2008, 08:20 PM

Great!

I'll start with a question. Does anyone have a small batch recipe for homemade catsup? All of mine start with ridiculous amounts of tomatoes. I'm looking for something that starts with under 10 lbs of tomatoes.

::::: Married for ten years to my good man :. Mama to my sweet and funny boy and my lovely little girl

#4 of 52 Old 09-06-2008, 01:17 PM

Once you deydrate a fruit (like a pear) how is it best to store them?
#5 of 52 Old 09-06-2008, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter

I would think a good way to store them would be in an airtight container in cupboard. That's how I store my sun dried tomatoes in any case.

Here is the pear honey recipe too;

Pear Honey

4 c peeled, crushed pears
3 c sugar
1/4 tsp salt
3 tablespoons of lemon juice

- combine everything and cook in a heavy pan, stirring frequently, for about 15 to 20 minutes until it is thick enough to spread and honey colored
- pour into hot jars, adjust lids, process in water bath for 20 minutes for 1/2 pints

#6 of 52 Old 09-06-2008, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenetabbie View Post
I would think a good way to store them would be in an airtight container in cupboard. That's how I store my sun dried tomatoes in any case.

Pear Honey

3 c sugar
1/4 tsp salt

- combine everything and cook in a heavy pan, stirring frequently, for about 15 to 20 minutes until it is thick enough to spread and honey colored
- pour into hot jars, adjust lids, process in water bath for 20 minutes for 1/2 pints
This looks wonderful - thank you!
Karen

Blessed partner to a great guy, and mama to 4 amazing kids. Unfortunate target of an irrationally angry IRL stalker.

Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. ~ Buddha

#7 of 52 Old 09-07-2008, 02:10 AM

Not to be an idiot, but how does this thread differ from the "Preserving the Harvest" thread? : Would it be easier to just get that thread stickied instead?
#8 of 52 Old 09-07-2008, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

Jen, you are not an idiot! I thought it might be easier to find what people are looking for if there were two shorter threads dedicated to only preserving fruits/veggies. The PTH thread is so long, meandering and cumbersome to read with all kinds of different information, it could be overwhelming to someone just trying to find an applesauce recipe or how to dry bananas.

#9 of 52 Old 09-08-2008, 11:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i am looking for an apple pie filling to can, that isn't chock full of sugar. I found a recipe and used it this weekend that called for 4.5 cups of sugar for 7 qts. Don't get me wrong, the filling is devine, but is there something that is still really good and tastes like apple pie, without the tons of sugar?
#10 of 52 Old 09-11-2008, 03:19 AM

bump

::::: Married for ten years to my good man :. Mama to my sweet and funny boy and my lovely little girl

#11 of 52 Old 09-11-2008, 03:33 AM

Our local store is having a sale on organic Bartlett pears, I should try the pear honey recipe!:

On the subject of pears, has anyone ever tried canning pears with vanilla? I once received a jar of canned pears that were absolutely divine. I couldn't figure out why until I realized that I smelled some vanilla in the syrup. So... boil the syrup with a vanilla bean or add some extract, and then add the pears for a hot pack? Would that work??

FWIW, I've only canned pears once before...and that was just plain and blah tasting..

Mama to Emma (7) and Sarah (5)

#12 of 52 Old 09-11-2008, 12:32 PM

I have a general questino about jam. Is freezer jam good? I've never made it, but I recently spent countless hours picking cleaning and seeding blackberries and I just can't get the motivation to can them!
#13 of 52 Old 09-11-2008, 07:55 PM

is this over kill? drying apples then putting them in the freezer. I am just so scared to store stuff in the pantry?
#14 of 52 Old 09-13-2008, 10:56 PM

I just made pear butter and apple butter using the crockpot. It was great! Actually, the apple butter got a skin and burned a little. But I pulled that off and it still tasted great.

Apple butter:
http://www.pickyourown.org/applebutter.htm

Pear butter:
http://www.pickyourown.org/pearbutter.htm

I didn't have the volume of pears/apples, so I scaled down the other ingredients accordingly.

Bridget. Momma to DD (4), expecting DS - 9/09, wife to SAHD. Gardener, coffee addict, urban dweller.
#15 of 52 Old 09-16-2008, 11:47 PM

I imagine your not finding a recipe for a small amount of tomatoes to make catsup because that would make a really small amount of catsup. It has to be cooked down quite a bit to make it thick. 20 lbs of tomatoes might make 2 qts or catsup? I've never done it so don't know for sure.

Jam
I've done strawberry freezer jam and it was good. I'll bet blackberry would work well.

Apples
I don't think it's overkill to dry and freeze. Just take out a portion your family might eat and store those in the pantry. Freeze the rest.

I froze some watermelon a few weeks ago. I hope it still tatses good in Dec or so! I've never frozen it before. I also froze blueberries on a cookie sheet and then dumped them in a freezer bag. They are really handy for muffins/pancakes and lunches.
Looking forward to making apple sauce and apple juice in a couple weeks. Would you all freeze or can the juice?
#16 of 52 Old 09-17-2008, 11:18 AM

We did all freezer jam this year. We did strawberry, raspberry, and blueberry. They are wonderful! Not only do they call for less sugar but they also taste super fresh.

We also made catsup this weekend. We ended up making about five pints of catsup anf freezing it. Let me know if you want the receipe and I'll pass it on.

I also put my dried tomatos in the freezer. I'm just extra careful like that, plus it was my first time and I didn't cut them evenly so I had some that were still moist.
#17 of 52 Old 09-18-2008, 01:56 AM

I have loads of pears! OMG! SO many pears! I've bottled all the pears I think we'll eat, and think I'll make pear sauce with the rest of them, I think we're way more likely to eat it this way. Has anyone made something like that?

Maybe then I won't make applesauce this year, or not as much... or make both and give some for christmas gifts? maybe...

I know you're not supposed to screw with the recipes, but I used to make pear sauce for DS when he was young and added vanilla extract, do you think I can do that and still can it safely??
#18 of 52 Old 09-18-2008, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contrariety View Post
I know you're not supposed to screw with the recipes, but I used to make pear sauce for DS when he was young and added vanilla extract, do you think I can do that and still can it safely??
I was just going to do the exact thing! Except instead of sauce, I was just going to add a vanilla bean to my syrup mixture for my jarred pears.

In the end I didn't because I couldn't find any vanilla beans in my local store and I wasn't about to drive all around searching for one. My pears were bought a couple of days ago and really needed to be dealt with.

I just jarred as I normally do, and I had about 1C left over which I stuck in the fridge. The kids and I shared that after dinner tonight and OMG... the aroma of the pears just about knocked me over! The pears were perfectly ripe and the syrup mix was JUST RIGHT. I thought I'd died and gone to heaven.:

Mama to Emma (7) and Sarah (5)

#19 of 52 Old 09-18-2008, 10:31 AM

yum, pears. I can't seem to get enough of them. I made a huge pear pie last weekend. It was really good.

I hope I can get some more so that I can make pear sauce or pear honey!
#20 of 52 Old 09-18-2008, 11:53 AM

I made 3 quarts of pear sauce last night, using the link I posted above. Good stuff! I didn't put in any sugar or spices. It was sweet enough, and I figure I can sprinkle sugar on it as needed when I'm ready to eat it.

I really love the above recipe - it is so much easier than peeling and coring all those pears. I was going to try to can half pears, but it was too much trouble to do in an evening.

Bridget. Momma to DD (4), expecting DS - 9/09, wife to SAHD. Gardener, coffee addict, urban dweller.
#21 of 52 Old 09-18-2008, 12:45 PM

I just found this recipe for vanilla pear sauce! : Mmm! I'm making it this afternoon!
#22 of 52 Old 09-23-2008, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blooming View Post
Once you deydrate a fruit (like a pear) how is it best to store them?
We dehydrated pears last year and they stored well in mason jars with the screw-on plastic lids.
#23 of 52 Old 09-25-2008, 01:49 AM

I feel like a spaz with all my canning questions, but I have no one else to ask, sorry guys LOL!!

Anywho, I made applesauce. Last year it was pretty runny and some of the jars some water at the bottom (seperation). So this year I made it thicker. And it's REALLY thick too, haha. Like when I tipped up the jars today from my last batch, it hardly moves around in there at all. Almost like a butter.

How thick do you all make your applesauce? I'm sure it's fine this way, liek I said, I'm just a spaz and tend to over worry
#24 of 52 Old 09-25-2008, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contrariety View Post
I just found this recipe for vanilla pear sauce! : Mmm! I'm making it this afternoon!
Wow, that sounds great!! I did some honey spiced peaches this year, they are very good. I may try this next year though, thanks!!
#25 of 52 Old 09-25-2008, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeadowSong_ View Post
I feel like a spaz with all my canning questions, but I have no one else to ask, sorry guys LOL!!

Anywho, I made applesauce. Last year it was pretty runny and some of the jars some water at the bottom (seperation). So this year I made it thicker. And it's REALLY thick too, haha. Like when I tipped up the jars today from my last batch, it hardly moves around in there at all. Almost like a butter.

How thick do you all make your applesauce? I'm sure it's fine this way, liek I said, I'm just a spaz and tend to over worry
I shoot for the same thickness (more or less) as the commercial applesauces. When mine cool off there is about 1/2-1" of watery stuff in the bottom, but it's no biggie to just stir it together again when we serve.
#26 of 52 Old 09-25-2008, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeadowSong_ View Post
Wow, that sounds great!! I did some honey spiced peaches this year, they are very good. I may try this next year though, thanks!!
You definitely should, It's SOOOOOOOO tasty! It's almost so tasty that I don't want to open a jar because that's one less jar of the tasty goodness. I think it would make awesome gifts. I also like the idea of simmering vanilla beans with the sauce instead of extract. I think it would be pretty to have the black flecks.
#27 of 52 Old 09-26-2008, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenetabbie View Post

Pear Honey

3 c sugar
1/4 tsp salt

So I did it. I made canned for the first time EVER. I made the above recipe.

So here are the questions I ended up with when all was said and done.

1) It only made three half pints. Is that okay?

2) The jars did not pop until dh was pulling them out of the canner? Are they still safe? I should probably mention I forgot to take note of the one to two inches of water above the canner. There was a lot more water boiling above them.

3) There was some sauce floating in the water. Not a lot. But some. Why?
Again is it still safe?

Can you tell I'm a bit on the careful side?

Thanks for your patience! Oh and the pear honey was wonderful.

okay, I just looked at them again, there is a thin white film on the outside and there is also little drops of water on the inside of the lids. Is all of that normal too?
#28 of 52 Old 09-26-2008, 05:00 PM

Oh, yum. I am going to ask dh to make these, using the canned honey we made today. The best part is you can use whatever cupcake recipe you want! I'm gluten free.

Here is a link to the cupcake recipe:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3Den%26sa%3DN

Just thought I'd share.
#29 of 52 Old 02-11-2009, 09:30 PM

Are we still going to sticky these?

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

And 3rdtri.gif with #3 bigeyes.gif Due in August 2013!!!

#30 of 52 Old 06-29-2009, 05:38 PM

Ok..first...the Vanilla Pear Sauce is a HUGE hit here! We've been eating all winter and spring and can't wait until pears are ready to make more.

Now..on to my canning questions. I want to make Cherry Limeade Concentrate. However - I can't find any recipes for it. Do you think I could use the Strawberry Lemonade concentrate recipe from the Ball canning book and substitute the strawberries for cherries and the lemon juice for lime juice?

6 cups hulled strawberries
4 cups freshly squeezed lemon juice
6 cups granulated sugar

1. Wash & dry canner, jars, lids, and kitchen tools.

2. In two batches, puree strawberries in blender until smooth. Put strawberries into a large stainless steel pot. Add lemon juice & sugar, stirring until mixed well. Over medium high heat, heat to 190 degrees, stirring occasionally. Do not boil. Once temp has been reached, remove from heat & skim off foam.

3. Ladle into jars with 1/4 inch headspace. Wipe off jar rims and place lids and rings onto each jar.

4. Process jars in water bath canner for 15 minutes. Remove cover and let rest five minutes before removing to water to cool. After cooling (roughly 12-24 hours) bands can be removed and jars tucked away in a cupboard for safekeeping.

To Reconstitute:

Mix 1 part concentrate with 1 part cold water, tonic water, or gingerale. Adjust sugar to taste, if necessary. Add ice cubes and enjoy.

Me:

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page