Preserving 101; veggies - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 09-05-2008, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Like the fruit 101 thread destined for Sticky-ness, this thread will be only for things generally called Vegetables by the general public. This includes tomatoes and other botanically speaking fruit/berry items most people call vegetables. Please put links, suggestions, questions, etc here so we can try to keep this forum more cohesive and less redundant

To get us going, here is a link to the National Center for Home Food Preservation. I am pretty sure the USDA recommendations provided in the links are current.

Oh, and if someone (purplegirl? could please fix the stupid typo in the thread title I would be most appreciative

The Tabbie Family; DH , DS , DD , a few :, a couple : and me.
#2 of 26 Old 09-05-2008, 07:20 PM

Corrected! I'd love to see more resources, suggestions, ideas so this can be stickied!

afro.jpg
#3 of 26 Old 09-08-2008, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

Posted in PTH;

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunita1

Here's a link http://extension.missouri.edu/xplor/...nut/gh1501.htm Generally, home frozen veggies are good for 10 months (which takes me to the next growing season), and they don't actually go BAD after that or become unsafe to eat. They just deteriorate in flavor, quality, and nutrition.

#4 of 26 Old 09-08-2008, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

Posted in PTH;

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieMF
I haven't opened them yet but this is the recipe I used

3.5-4lbs beans
5C pickling vinegar
3.5C water
4tbsp salt
4tbsp sugar

Mix the vinegar, water, salt & sugar & bring to a boil.

Place 1.2tsp dill seed or a large fresh dill head in jars. It says to add 1.4tsp crushed hot pepper & tsp mustard but I didn't do either.

Pack the beans into jars, fill to 1/2" from the top with brine & seal. Process for 5 minutes. I used both carrots & beans together.

the recipe I used has brown sugar & pickling spice which will have salt in it

#5 of 26 Old 09-09-2008, 11:25 PM

We dehydrate quite a few vegetables we grow in our garden. Especially tomatoes and peppers. Both are very easy to dehydrate and keep very well in glass jars. If you do dehydrate the tomatoes, I'd suggest using wax paper cut to fit on your trays. Clean-up goes much smoother.
#6 of 26 Old 09-10-2008, 12:09 PM

I would love a pickled beet recipe without sugar. I like them tangy, not sweet.

Does anyone have one?

::::: Married for ten years to my good man :. Mama to my sweet and funny boy and my lovely little girl

#7 of 26 Old 09-17-2008, 11:36 AM

Wanted to share what I did with my summer squash. With the straight ones DH made this soup, three batches, one for dinner, two to freeze:

Sunny Summer Squash Soup
(printer-friendly version)

When I made this, I tasted it before adding the optional ingredients and was ready to stop there--it was simple and delicious. But I couldn't resist trying to make it a little creamier and richer, so I added the nutritional yeast and tahini (plus turmeric for color). I'll leave it up to you to decide which way you like it best.

1 large onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 small hot pepper, seeds removed and chopped
2 ribs celery, strings removed and chopped
2 medium (12-14 ounces) gold potatoes, peeled and cut into small dice
1 1/2 pounds small yellow squash, chopped (or young zucchini)
1 pinch white pepper
4 cups vegetable broth
1 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon turmeric (optional, for color)
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast (optional)
1 tablespoon tahini (optional)
salt and white pepper, to taste (optional)

Garnish: slivers of red bell pepper

Heat a large non-stick or enamel-coated pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion, reduce the heat to medium, and cook, covered but stirring every minute or so, until it begins to brown, about 5 minutes (add a little water if it tends to stick). Add the garlic and hot pepper and cook for another minute.

Add all remaining ingredients except the optional ones. Cover and cook until the potatoes are completely tender (they will mash if lightly pressed with a spoon), about 25-40 minutes.

Remove half of the soup and put it into a blender* and puree at high speed until completely smooth. (Be careful--hot liquids can erupt from your blender; I always remove the center cup from the lid and cover the opening with a kitchen towel.) Once it's blended, pour the soup into another pot. Add the remaining soup to the blender, along with any optional ingredients you choose to use, and blend well. Add to the other half of the soup, and simmer for about 5 minutes. Ladle into bowls, garnish with slices of red bell pepper, and serve.

*I like this soup blended smoother than my hand blender can get it.

Makes 4 servings. Without optional ingredients, each contains 122 Calories (kcal); 1g Total Fat; (4% calories from fat); 4g Protein; 27g Carbohydrate; 0mg Cholesterol; 28mg Sodium; 6g Fiber. Weight Watchers Core/ 2 Flex Points. With optional ingredients, each serving contains 161 Calories (kcal); 3g Total Fat; (14% calories from fat); 7g Protein; 30g Carbohydrate; 0mg Cholesterol; 34mg Sodium; 7g Fiber; 3mcg B-12. Weight Watchers Flex Points = 3 or Core +1 Point.
Labels: CORE, eat to live, gluten-free

From: http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2008/08...uash-soup.html

It was wonderful!

For my patty cake squash, I plan on doing this:

CHEESE STUFFED SUMMER SQUASH
6 summer squash
Boiling salted water
1 sm. onion, minced
2 tbsp. bacon drippings, or butter
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 c. fine dry bread crumbs
1/2 c. Cheddar cheese, shredded
3 slices thin bacon, partially cooked
Cut off stem ends of the squash (zucchini, yellow crookneck, or patty pan) and cook in about 1 inch of boiling, salted water until barely tender. About 8 to 10 minutes. Cool and for the patty pans cut a circle in the top or cut the other squash in halves lengthwise. Scoop out the pulp, leaving shells about 1/4 inch thick. Cook onion in fat until softened but not browned. Add squash pulp, salt, pepper, and bread crumbs. Mix well and spoon into squash shells. Arrange in a shallow baking dish and top with the shredded cheese. Cut bacon strips in half and lay a piece on top of each squash. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes or until browned. Makes 6 servings.

From: http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1850...233198,00.html

I haven't tried it yet, but it sure sounds yummy. I plan on leaving out the bacon though.
#8 of 26 Old 09-17-2008, 07:12 PM

What is everyone doing with their tomatillos?

Erin sharing life with a burly husband and two rad boys 7/06 & 5/09 : : Zone 9-ish
#9 of 26 Old 09-18-2008, 05:38 PM

I made green tomatilo salsa with a recipe from the NCHFP site linked in the first post, it turned out AWESOME.

You can also boil them whole for 20 minutes and can them like whole tomatoes, just add 1 tb lemon juice per pint and process in a water bath canner. My only gripe with canning them whole is they seemed to shrink up ALOT. I had the cans packed tightly (hot pack) and now the jars are only half full of tomatillos the rest is water. :

My question is how to can butternut squash, yes I know I can freeze it but freezer space is at a premium for storing meat and I have about 25 squashes ( at least) I'll need to do something with to take with me when I move and I cant just have huge pile of them in my new apartment LOL.

Oe of the books I was reading said something about never canning squash puree only cubes...but now I can't find the book so I have no idea what size the cubes need to be to how long to process or any of that. anyone know?
#10 of 26 Old 09-18-2008, 06:12 PM

another great site with canning/freezing/drying tips for veggies (and fruits) is:

http://www.pickyourown.org/allaboutcanning.htm#freezing
#11 of 26 Old 09-19-2008, 12:36 AM

I froze our tomato harvest. I washed and cored them and froze them in gallon size bags and then I can use them however I like. Dh tested some a few days ago and they worked fabulous for a stew.

I grated zucchini and froze them in the measurments I use for baking zucchini bread. I also grated cucumbers to use in tsatsiki sauce.
#12 of 26 Old 09-20-2008, 02:41 AM

Eeeh! I just got myself an old school Squeezo! Yay! I know most people will just shake their head at me and roll their eyes, but I figured you guys would just be nicer about it.

Wife to an amazing hubby, mother hen to four chicken3.gif 
(If you're curious, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, and yes, it's a busy house)
#13 of 26 Old 09-21-2008, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemoon View Post
I would love a pickled beet recipe without sugar. I like them tangy, not sweet.

Does anyone have one?
I had to invent my own - here it is

Fresh beets, enough to half fill a very large (blanching) pot
Vinegar, 3 or more cups
1 tsp ground allspice
15 whole cloves
1 tsp mustard seed
Sterilized jars and lids for canning
water bath canner

Scrub and peel beets, cut into slices. I like to peel the beets before boiling - this takes the 'dirt' taste out of them. Boil the beets in large pot for 10 minutes to cook. Drain off about 3/4 of the water and add the vinegar, enough to cover them. Add the allspice, cloves and mustard seed. Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Place the hot beets into the sterilized jars, then add vinegar solution, enough to cover, leaving 1/2 inch of headspace. Stir the vinegar solution frequently so that all the jars get a share of the spices. Put on lids and rings. Place jars in canner and cover with at least an inch of water.
Bring water in canner to a boil and boil for 35 minutes. Remove and cool overnight. If any jars didn't seal, put them in the fridge and eat within a couple of weeks.
#14 of 26 Old 09-26-2008, 07:43 PM

I have a small chest freezer half full of chicken stock and garden veggies and being that I'm not sure I'll have a place for it once we move is it safe to thaw/boil the chicken stock and then can it in the pressure canner? same question with the veggies ( green beans and peppers).
#15 of 26 Old 02-11-2009, 09:31 PM

Are we still going to sticky these?:

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

And 3rdtri.gif with #3 bigeyes.gif Due in August 2013!!!

#16 of 26 Old 02-12-2009, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garden-gal View Post
We dehydrate quite a few vegetables we grow in our garden. Especially tomatoes and peppers. Both are very easy to dehydrate and keep very well in glass jars. If you do dehydrate the tomatoes, I'd suggest using wax paper cut to fit on your trays. Clean-up goes much smoother.
I love the wax paper idea!

I always use cherry tomatoes for drying. They have a nice, intense flavor, and their size makes them easy to use in recipes. Plus, I always seem to overplant cherries.
#17 of 26 Old 02-12-2009, 12:45 PM

I was wondering about dehydrating tomatoes this summer but then putting them in vaccum sealed bags for long term storage. Anyone tried this?

secular classical-ish mama to an incredible 5 year old DS and an amazing 6 year old DD.
#18 of 26 Old 03-31-2009, 11:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogal17 View Post

My question is how to can butternut squash, yes I know I can freeze it but freezer space is at a premium for storing meat and I have about 25 squashes ( at least) I'll need to do something with to take with me when I move and I cant just have huge pile of them in my new apartment LOL.

Oe of the books I was reading said something about never canning squash puree only cubes...but now I can't find the book so I have no idea what size the cubes need to be to how long to process or any of that. anyone know?
You can just store butternut squash (or any other hard winter squash) whole, in a cool, dry, well ventilated place.

http://web.extension.uiuc.edu/frankl...ws/081023.html
#19 of 26 Old 03-31-2009, 01:33 PM

Quote:
I have a small chest freezer half full of chicken stock and garden veggies and being that I'm not sure I'll have a place for it once we move is it safe to thaw/boil the chicken stock and then can it in the pressure canner? same question with the veggies ( green beans and peppers).
I think it would be fine. Just don't let the stock thaw in your fridge, for, say, 3 weeks. Depending on the veggies and if you have a dehydrator, that may be another option for those...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer3141 View Post
I was wondering about dehydrating tomatoes this summer but then putting them in vaccum sealed bags for long term storage. Anyone tried this?
I was actually on you-tube for a while last night checking out videos on this. Apparently, mylar bags and oxygen packets are all the rage now for keeping things fresh. A vacuum food sealer is a bonus. Do some poking around there, it's kind of neat. I think my dehydrator's going to get quite a workout this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamalluv View Post
You can just store butternut squash (or any other hard winter squash) whole, in a cool, dry, well ventilated place.
I bought some butternut squash from a farmer about 10-15 miles away back in September or October - whenever I was canning beans and getting corn. I left a few of the squash out in the not-so-heated garage, and ate a few in December, and the last one in late February. If you don't knock the stems off (why I had to eat that last one in Feb rather than see how long I could stretch it), you should be good. And the temp in our garage fluctuates from 40-45*F on warmer days (like it's 50* for 4 days straight) or down to 10*F when we're having one of our typical 3-week cold snaps. I may even have some good onions still out there - I really need to go check and sort. So yeah, you may not need to can it.

Wife to an amazing hubby, mother hen to four chicken3.gif 
(If you're curious, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, and yes, it's a busy house)
#20 of 26 Old 05-15-2009, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Can I include a thread?

It's the How about a fermented veggies thread? from the Traditional Foods sub-forum.

Fermenting vegetables, things like sauerkraut and kimchee and pickles is easy and tasty (very, very tasty), and a nice way to preserve vegetables.

Sandor Katz's Wild Fermentation is great for getting good ideas about how the process works and I've never heard of a bad recipe in his book. Sally Fallon's Nourishing Traditions has fermented veggie recipes (and it's discussed a lot in that thread) but some of her recipes are a bit iffy, and using whey in everything isn't necessary. Katz is great for showing how flexible the process actually is vs Fallon's description which makes it sound more difficult.

http://www.wildfermentation.com/

Sandor Katz's website has some of his recipes from the book, including his sour pickle recipe which is divine.
#21 of 26 Old 09-03-2009, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen'nZoe View Post
I love the wax paper idea!

I always use cherry tomatoes for drying. They have a nice, intense flavor, and their size makes them easy to use in recipes. Plus, I always seem to overplant cherries.
Hi, I'm new in here (but have been a Mothering subscriber for 5 years!) I have an abundance of cherry & grape tomatoes and have been wondering what to do with them. Is it possible to dry them without a dehydrator? Any recipes?

Thanks!
#22 of 26 Old 09-03-2009, 12:45 AM

How I wish I had found this before I canned my first batch of tomatoes! I canned 4 quarts of romas (first year in our Urban garden we've had enough to can) and I packed them in water because I couldn't find another recipe.

Here's what happened: when I took them out (boiling water processing) to cool, lots of liquid seeped out from the seal and the tomatoes all floated to the top half of the jar, with the bottom half all liquid. The top 1/2-1 inch of tomatoes at the top are not covered with liquid at all. Did I do something wrong? Do I need to reprocess them?

The directions said to gently pack the tomatoes in the jars, so I didn't squish them in there. Then I just added a bit of liquid to each to top them off along with the lemon juice.

Appreciate your input, since my grandma can't hear well enough for me to call and ask her about it!

Thanks!
#23 of 26 Old 09-13-2009, 08:56 PM

For those who don't have a Ball Blue Book, they have some of their recipes online as well:

http://www.freshpreserving.com/pages..._pages/215.php

(homecanning.com is the website home I think, but this is the link to the recipe page)

Not all who wander are lost.
#24 of 26 Old 07-05-2010, 09:41 PM

I am bumping some canning threads since things are starting to get ripe

Not all those who wander are lost 
#25 of 26 Old 07-05-2010, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abimommy View Post
I am bumping some canning threads since things are starting to get ripe
Great idea!

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

And 3rdtri.gif with #3 bigeyes.gif Due in August 2013!!!

#26 of 26 Old 07-06-2010, 10:55 AM

Quote:

I agree w/ pp about storing them in an unheated area, but should you want or need to can anyway, you can follow the directions for canning pumpkin. My book lists them as "pumpkin and winter squash" (cut into 1 inch cubes, boil in water 2 min., pack cubes loosely in jar, cover with boiling water, 1 inch headspace. 10lbs pressure pints 55min quarts 90min)

Kristy, wife to Josh proud mama to Katie: since 3/08 and Emma since 8/12.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page