Preparing for my summer garden and composting question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-11-2008, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've had a vegetable garden for a few years now and it's been pathetic and embarassing (the only year it was awesome I used miracle grow the whole time and I don't want to do that again). I want an awesome garden next summer and thought that now would be the time to plan it. It's not huge - 5x15 feet. I don't know what to do though. Do I spread something over the whole thing? Plant some kind of grass - thinking I heard rye? Lime? I really have no clue. I live in central massachusetts.

Compost question - is now an okay time to start? What kind of composter should I get? Does it matter? I know that our local recycling resource center did sell them but I don't know what kind. Thanks for any ideas or help you can give.

Kerrie Mama to DD 10 yo, DS 8 yo and DD 5  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2008, 02:08 PM

I've read to plant Hairy Vetch (I think that's what it is called) in the fall then to cut down and leave over the garden. Or to till it into the earth.
Old 09-18-2008, 04:35 PM

check out master gardners in your area. You can usually call with questions. here is a link for penn state coop http://www.extension.psu.edu/

also many conposting sites on web.
good luck, I am just taking a break from my garden work.

btw I am trying something new, i pulled out all of the dead plants in garden ( veggie and flowers)and i am going to run over them wiht my lawnmower on a high setting to help break down plants for faster compost

http://susanchegari.vibrantscents.com/

User Tag List