Ketchup recipes? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 09-17-2008, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would love to get a few favorite recipes!

:

Erin sharing life with a burly husband and two rad boys 7/06 & 5/09 : : Zone 9-ish
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 09-17-2008, 08:57 PM

I just tried this one Monday. I like it! It was my first ketchup making experiment and it turned out really good. I didn't have enough tomatoes for a full batch so I just scaled it down and kind of guessed at amounts and it still worked. It's even a bit spicy. Yum!
#3 of 8 Old 09-19-2008, 12:05 AM
RAF

#4 of 8 Old 09-19-2008, 12:43 PM

We use a recipe similiar to the one listed above, and you'll never buy ketchup at the store again. Just wanted to let you know that homemade ketchup will not keep in your refridgerator indefinately, so I can in half pint jars. My family goes through one half pint every 1.5-2 weeks, so we never waste ketchup. The first year, we packed in pints, and I threw out a lot of moldy ketchup...
#5 of 8 Old 09-19-2008, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the recipe! I read through it and I'm wondering... does it really need to be pressure canned? I don't have one (yet) and a friend of mine cans tomato sauce w/o a water bath (just boiling the tomatoes). I was surprised to see it stated that tomatoes aren't acidic enough on their own?

As you can see I'm a total amateur. I'm wanting to make it today (in the little jars, thanks for the tip melmel!) so any words of wisdom anyone wants to offer would be greatly appreciated :

Erin sharing life with a burly husband and two rad boys 7/06 & 5/09 : : Zone 9-ish
#6 of 8 Old 09-19-2008, 07:15 PM

I got my recipe from www.Jamieoliver.com and love it! it is sweet, spicy etc... :

Mama to Milo 8-06 and wife to Matt. 2nd grade teacher and wannabe urban homesteader! ::
#7 of 8 Old 09-20-2008, 12:23 AM

I did mine in a water bath. The recipe I used has vinegar in it too so I'm assuming that's what made it ok for water bath canning. I'm a total noob too, but I just finished eating some of my ketchup and I'm contemplating getting more tomatoes tomorrow at the farmers market, because it is sooo good and I only have 3 8oz jars.
#8 of 8 Old 09-22-2008, 12:12 PM

I did mine in a hot water bath too, though like pps it included vinegar. I think I got the recipe from The Joy of Pickling (excellent book!). I would look around for a recipe you can use in a hot water bath. IMO, I wouldn't get out the pressure canner unless absolutely necessary!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page