Sugar in jelly/jam/preserves question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 10-10-2008, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, I'm going to start making jelly/jam/preserves/butters here in a few days, and I have the new Ball Complete book of Home Preserving... and it has lots of yummy sounding recipes, but they're ALL just LOADED with sugar (like, 4-8 cups!!)... Can I cut that down by like half and them still work?
#2 of 8 Old 10-10-2008, 07:03 PM

Not the question you're asking, but I've made a few variations on the mint jelly recipe in that book and I've used evaporated cane juice sugar instead of refined, and it worked just fine with the substitution.

Someone else will have a good answer for you, but I think part of the way the pectin gels has to do with having the right quantity of sugar. But I'm not sure.
#3 of 8 Old 10-10-2008, 07:42 PM

Simple answer...no. Those recipes are pretty precise because, as phoebemommy said, the sugar is necessary to work with the pectin. Too little sugar, and the pectin won't set up right. You'll have wasted a lot of fruit/juice trying to make a lower-sugar jelly/jam. On the other hand, it's possible you might end up with some tasty syrup, but that would be extremely lucky....
#4 of 8 Old 10-10-2008, 08:16 PM

You can use the "low sugar pectin". They also have a no-sugar pectin, although I usually add some sugar anyway.
#5 of 8 Old 10-11-2008, 09:28 AM

Sugar is the preservative for most recipes. I had to figure out what I was doing earlier this year when I made peach jam. I decided to use unbleached sugar instead of the fruit pectin because I did not want to have potassium sorbate or the monocalcium phosphate. I felt sugar was better. Another book to check out is "Preserving the Harvest" by Carol Costenbader.

Happy Preserving!
#6 of 8 Old 10-11-2008, 03:21 PM

You can substitute the sugar with honey. All of the recipes in Stocking Up III use honey.
#7 of 8 Old 10-11-2008, 10:26 PM

I use the fruit pectin with the calcium activator. I can do no-sugar and low-sugar jams and jellies with this stuff. I'm not aware of any "issues" with the calcium activator?? Anyway, I love the flexibility that it gives me in how to sweeten my preserves. I can use honey or sugar or alternative sweeteners (not that I want to use sucralose blech, but if I wanted to, I *could*).

But yeah, if you're using regular pectin, you need the sugar because that's what activates the pectin. Another good book is "Putting Food By" which I'm just reading right now. TONS of great info on canning as well as every other type of preserving.

Heather, mom to Caileigh 12/06 and aspie ADHD prodigy David 05/98 :intact lact
#8 of 8 Old 10-12-2008, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

So as long as I buy the 'no sugar needed' pectin I can vary the amount of sugar as I like? Is that right? If so, yay!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page