anyone do all heirlooms? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

#31 of 33 Old 11-10-2008, 07:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post
I'm definitely getting those purple carrot seeds as soon as I run out of regular carrot seeds, though. I suck at carrots, and I think it's because I don't care enough. But I'm intrigued by the purple ones, so maybe that will give me enough incentive to work on them!
Actually, I've had better luck with the Lunar White carrots than the purple carrots. The purple is just on the skin, so if you peel carrots (I do, I'm not fond of the tough skin) they just look a more intense orange than carrots from the store. Now the white and yellow ones, oh baby. I swear, the white ones seem to taste more carrot-y. Or maybe it's just my soil. But they're fun.

Still not sure what I'm going to let go to seed next year... it's a toss up between the white and red - I still have a ton of carrots out there in the raised bed getting rained on.

Wife to an amazing hubby, mother hen to four chicken3.gif 
(If you're curious, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, and yes, it's a busy house)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 33 Old 11-28-2008, 03:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessaries View Post
I'm obsessive about open pollinated/heirlooms for my garden. So far so good! I asked at a nursery today if the onion sets were hybrid and they told me almost all onion sets are, so I said thank you and went on my way. I will find non hybrid ones!
Did you find any. Here is a source in Texas I came upon. Not sure if they sell any OP, but worth a look.

http://www.dixondalefarms.com/catego...ate_day_onions

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

And 3rdtri.gif with #3 bigeyes.gif Due in August 2013!!!

#33 of 33 Old 11-28-2008, 03:40 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone here saved onion seed before? I'm almost ashamed to say this, but in the front yard I've got a few Walla Walla's and red onions I transplanted in there. Two and a half years ago.
They do the flower thing, but then stop. The red onions don't even send up a true flower stalk if I remember right (so probably *not* OP). But they don't seem to dry up like my parsley and carrots did...

Wife to an amazing hubby, mother hen to four chicken3.gif 
(If you're curious, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, and yes, it's a busy house)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page