Birthing in Korea - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-21-2009, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A Korean-speaking Canadian doula/childbirth educator/lactation counselor/hypnobirthing instructor is currently constructing a website with the birthing options, especially natural birthing options in Korea:

http://www.birthinginkorea.com

The website is not complete, but it will get you started and if you have questions contact Lisa through her Birthing in Korea website.

Bottomline, even though Korean Obstetrics is highly medicalized with a 40% c-section rate, you can have a natural birth, homebirth, VBAC and even vaginal breech birth. Homebirth and birth center options are extremely affordable with Korean midwives. Unfortunately, most do not speak very much English so if neither you or your partner speak Korean, you might want to hire an English and Korean speaking doula. There is also an OB who does homebirths and speaks English but costs more money.

I chose to go home (US) to have my VBAC because I was told by a Korean doctor that Koreans were not allowed to VBAC and only a few hospitals and a few doctors would let foreigners try. However, while I was in the US preparing for my birth, I continued to research and found a lot more options than I knew before.

There is also prenatal yoga, infant massage, Dunston Baby Language in Korea.
#2 of 4 Old 05-22-2009, 10:17 AM

Fabulous info, thanks! I get the occasional email from someone hunting down options here in Asia, so I'm happy to have a resource to point them to.

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#3 of 4 Old 05-25-2009, 12:52 AM

Fabulous link! I wish it was there when I was pregnant in Korea. Mind you, I lived outside of Seoul so I probably couldn't take advantage of the resources.

I ended giving birth in a small private women's hospital in a provincial city. We had to drive an hour and a half to get there. That hospital supports natural childbirth and breastfeeding. I had to shop around to find that hospital. It wasn't perfect but for Korea it was pretty good.
#4 of 4 Old 08-29-2012, 09:44 PM

Hi!  The website is fully functional with tons of information!  Birthing In Korea services the whole peninsula so contact them no matter where you are.  Glad you all had great experiences!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page