Anyone in Thailand? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 05-09-2010, 11:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are probably going to end up there in the next few months. I would love to know what it is like for a family with a young child. (9 months now, but will be at least 1 when we move.) I am very excited and anxious to know more.
#2 of 10 Old 05-25-2010, 08:23 AM

look for mamarabbit

i think she's in or near bangkok....

good luck! p.s. when you're there if you want a free 4 day 3 night trip to phuket, let me know.....they're gorgeous 2bed 2 baths and very family friendly...the only catch is that you have to listen to the 60 min sales pitch on the timeshare (and then politely say no and walk away-- there is no pressure).

with air asia you could do phuket very cheaply

Miles (December 2005) Pascual (March 2009). P's was my beautiful home waterbirth that healed me from my M's birth. natural birth, midwifery, postpartum depression, babywearing, breastfeeding.
#3 of 10 Old 12-10-2010, 08:38 PM

You've probably moved by now, but check out The Parent Vine Thailand (parentvine.net).  This is a newly-launched site with lots of information designed for expat parents in Thailand, from information about pregnancy, birth and post-partum support resources to activities with children, etc.  Mamarabbit (among others) has been active in compiling this site as a useful resource for expecting and new mothers.

expatgrandma likes this.
#4 of 10 Old 12-10-2010, 08:53 PM

But personally, I think Thailand is a fantastic place to raise children.  All Thais love children, ok, I know most people love children, but Thais really carry this to an extreme, you'll find that you can take your child or baby anywhere, and there will be someone who wants to play with him/her.  Some foreigners are a bit taken aback by this, but it is soooo lovely when you're in a restaurant, and all the waitress wants to do is entertain your child as you enjoy a few bites in peace.  

Also, the affordability of domestic help is a godsend.  I am so, so grateful for the options that this allows me.  Because I have a maid/nanny who I totally trust with my child, I have so much more flexibility in my daily schedule, and a measure of sanity at the end of the day that comes with not having to do all the dishes.

Downside - if you're a real outdoors type, you'll hate being trapped in the city, with few outlets for walking and outdoors activity.  On the other hand, there are swimming pools in most apartment blocks, and the temperature is great for swimming all year round.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

#5 of 10 Old 01-08-2011, 12:57 PM

I completely agree, Thais are beyond amazing with children. One of the major reasons we are moving back to Thailand is because I am sick of women trying to 'backseat mom' our daughter, total strangers approaching and wiping her face mid her eating a gelatto to saying she is cold ( when she has 4 layers on or it is hot as hell out). This type of rude control based parenting and interjecting doesn't happen there. You are right, the Thais do help when one is at a restaurant!! My god I love food and rarely can go out to eat ( in fact we don't outside of thailand, as the bad looks and inability to sit down long makes it too unpleasant), and in thailand everyday we could go out and the lovely women would entertain kaya for a few minutes or longer. There love for people and esp kids is the main reason we are moving back, and will stay in Asia. The Buddhist culture, its proximity to India and other areas of Asia, are all plus points, since we are a traveling unschooling family. We just can be ourselves there, and the attitude and competative nature of some parents in the West ( the judgemental looks and comments) only happens at hotels or resorts.

Another major plus is the higth quality food, although like in Singapore and most other countries american fast food is invadin. Still one can eat a very cheap, VERY healthy thai meal every day and the amazing superfoods are great.

unschooling mom, family travel enthusiast and holistic living advocate

#6 of 10 Old 01-23-2011, 03:20 PM

Mind if I hijack the thread with a few questions? Me and my two kids are looking to move in the next few years. We're currently in Eastern Europe. I guess that Thailand is good for vegetarians, and AP families. Several friends who have been there or lived there have recommended it to me. I'd like to know

- Is Thailand single parent/queer friendly?

- I hear it's affordable. What does that mean? Affordable just compared to the States, or really affordable? Over here, we could survive comfortably off $1,000 a month. Is that possible in Thailand?

- What is the immigration process like? Is it difficult to get permanent residence? We're dual US/European citizens.

- What are the downsides? Is there anything you miss, or get frustrated with?

If anyone is willing to answer any of my questions, thanks! :)

I'm Olivia. I blog about physiological childbirth, homebirth, and unassisted homebirth!
#7 of 10 Old 01-29-2011, 07:49 AM

Quote:

- I hear it's affordable. What does that mean? Affordable just compared to the States, or really affordable? Over here, we could survive comfortably off $1,000 a month. Is that possible in Thailand?

- What is the immigration process like? Is it difficult to get permanent residence? We're dual US/European citizens.

Yes extremely queer friendly and very single parent friendly.

Affordable, $1000/mo is about 30,000 B/mo which would be just enough if you had a small apartment and ate cheaply.

You cannot get permanent residence.  You would have to have a job (with a work permit) to get a non-immigrant B visa.

I miss public libraries and great outdoor parks.  Of course we miss family.  The Thai way of doing some things can be frustrating but you get used to it.  No midwives.

I've lived here for almost 10 years, so obviously, it's working out for us!

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#8 of 10 Old 01-29-2011, 05:49 PM

Also, keep in mind that Mama Rabbit and I are talking mainly about Bangkok.  Other parts of Thailand are much cheaper.  Budget really depends on how locally you want to live, eat.  If you eat and shop like a Thai, you can live quite cheaply, but if you want imported brands or want to cook or go out to eat Western style food, then it becomes much more costly. For example, a normal Thai lunch (in a small open air shop, or on the street - but delicious!) will cost about $1-2 per plate.  This could be a bowl of noodles, or a plate of stir-fry over rice, or something else that Thais consider a "one-plate lunch".  You can't even buy the ingredients for a Western lunch for that budget.

Small apartments are available in your budget, but they would probably be farther out of town and would be away from the parts of town which have a lot of facilities geared for expats (for some people this is an advantage, so it just depends on your perspective ;)

I don't know anything about school fees (my daughter isn't old enough to go to school yet), but unless you're homeschooling, I would imagine you'd have to send your children to a Thai school, international school fees are through the roof.  The Thai education system is not great, I hear.  There is a homeschooling yahoo groups network based in Bangkok, though.

So yeah, it's possible to live cheaply in Bangkok, and it's possible to also go through an awful lot of money - just depends on what you consider to be necessities. 

#9 of 10 Old 02-11-2011, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaRabbit View Post

Quote:

Yes extremely queer friendly and very single parent friendly.

Affordable, $1000/mo is about 30,000 B/mo which would be just enough if you had a small apartment and ate cheaply.

You cannot get permanent residence.  You would have to have a job (with a work permit) to get a non-immigrant B visa.

I miss public libraries and great outdoor parks.  Of course we miss family.  The Thai way of doing some things can be frustrating but you get used to it.  No midwives.

I've lived here for almost 10 years, so obviously, it's working out for us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaeP View Post

Also, keep in mind that Mama Rabbit and I are talking mainly about Bangkok.  Other parts of Thailand are much cheaper.  Budget really depends on how locally you want to live, eat.  If you eat and shop like a Thai, you can live quite cheaply, but if you want imported brands or want to cook or go out to eat Western style food, then it becomes much more costly. For example, a normal Thai lunch (in a small open air shop, or on the street - but delicious!) will cost about $1-2 per plate.  This could be a bowl of noodles, or a plate of stir-fry over rice, or something else that Thais consider a "one-plate lunch".  You can't even buy the ingredients for a Western lunch for that budget.

Small apartments are available in your budget, but they would probably be farther out of town and would be away from the parts of town which have a lot of facilities geared for expats (for some people this is an advantage, so it just depends on your perspective ;)

I don't know anything about school fees (my daughter isn't old enough to go to school yet), but unless you're homeschooling, I would imagine you'd have to send your children to a Thai school, international school fees are through the roof.  The Thai education system is not great, I hear.  There is a homeschooling yahoo groups network based in Bangkok, though.

So yeah, it's possible to live cheaply in Bangkok, and it's possible to also go through an awful lot of money - just depends on what you consider to be necessities. 

Thanks for your replies! If you cannot get permanent residence, how does it work with being able to live there? Do you have to leave the country every so many months? That would be a pain. MamaRabbit, I see you had a UC too. Is the climate for that OK over there? We are homeschooling, and I'd love to have access to a group of homeschoolers. One of the main reasons I am hoping to move away from our current country of residence is that homeschooling is illegal here.

If $1,000 a month is stretching things a bit, what sum would enable you to live comfortably?

And... does the political climate impact your life in any way?

I'm Olivia. I blog about physiological childbirth, homebirth, and unassisted homebirth!
#10 of 10 Old 02-12-2011, 08:38 AM

You would have to come in on a tourist visa and do a border run every 14 days with only a few allowances for that.  It really is NOT easy to do at all without a year visa.  Also I know that a lot places that rent would want you to have a visa that means you'll be around for a while.  Without a job it's practically impossible.

I did a UC.  Homebirths happen.  There are no midwives for home or hospital.  C/S rate at the biggest hospitals are about 90%.

Yes there are homeschooling groups.

I think you could do $1500 in Bangkok if you're careful.

Political upheaval is on the constant but does not affect daily life for the vast majority.

What makes you want to move to Thailand compared to another country?  What is the draw?

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page