Japan - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 74 Old 01-21-2011, 03:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Mom61, I hope you enjoy your trip to Hiroshima.

As far as food goes Jonathans has omlettes, hamburgers, steak, baked chicken and rice with garlic sauce. That kid of thing. They are not expensive, and have a drink bar in them.

Gusto is probably the best option for a family. They have vegetarian options, good salads, healthy options.  They also do great kids meals, though they are not vegi.

There are also the usual plethora of the dreaded McDonalds, subways and cold stone ice cream cafes. That was all I could eat or order when I first came to Japan! You will also find a LOT of starbucks if you need a coffee!

Banyan is also a good family Chinese restuarant chain, and has healthier options.

All these family restaurants have photos of the food in the menu, so you should be able to order without difficulty. They are probably about 1000 yenper adult, and kids meals (including a gluten and low allergy option in Gusto at least) are about 450 yen.

If you want to try more Japanese food, there are some lovely places. Not all raw fish if you are not keen, though if ou like sushi and sashimi of course you will find wonderful food. If you can get a Japanese speaker to go with you, you might find you enjoy a good Japanese restaurant. I adore the crab meat steamed over rice, with little dishes of spinach and sesame, steamed savory egg custard, miso soup with seaweed. I think these places will be quite difficult without a Japanese speaker. If you get the chance to go, it is worthwhile. The food in Japan is generally excellent.

Japan is VERY clean. I have never been to a place which is dirty here. I would not worry about eating out at all.

http://gethiroshima.com/en/Places/Restaurants/CheapEats/details?placeid=50004

If you and the children eat meat, I would also reccommend Bikuri donkey, which has great hamburgers and a lovely atmosphere.

I rather like ramen, noodles in soup. Ramen are very good and tend to be inexpensive, though the counter style service is hard with children.

I hope you have a good time!

#32 of 74 Old 01-23-2011, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmmochi View Post

Mom61, I hope you enjoy your trip to Hiroshima.

As far as food goes Jonathans has omlettes, hamburgers, steak, baked chicken and rice with garlic sauce. That kid of thing. They are not expensive, and have a drink bar in them.

Gusto is probably the best option for a family. They have vegetarian options, good salads, healthy options.  They also do great kids meals, though they are not vegi.

There are also the usual plethora of the dreaded McDonalds, subways and cold stone ice cream cafes. That was all I could eat or order when I first came to Japan! You will also find a LOT of starbucks if you need a coffee!

Banyan is also a good family Chinese restuarant chain, and has healthier options.

All these family restaurants have photos of the food in the menu, so you should be able to order without difficulty. They are probably about 1000 yenper adult, and kids meals (including a gluten and low allergy option in Gusto at least) are about 450 yen.

If you want to try more Japanese food, there are some lovely places. Not all raw fish if you are not keen, though if ou like sushi and sashimi of course you will find wonderful food. If you can get a Japanese speaker to go with you, you might find you enjoy a good Japanese restaurant. I adore the crab meat steamed over rice, with little dishes of spinach and sesame, steamed savory egg custard, miso soup with seaweed. I think these places will be quite difficult without a Japanese speaker. If you get the chance to go, it is worthwhile. The food in Japan is generally excellent.

Japan is VERY clean. I have never been to a place which is dirty here. I would not worry about eating out at all.

http://gethiroshima.com/en/Places/Restaurants/CheapEats/details?placeid=50004

If you and the children eat meat, I would also reccommend Bikuri donkey, which has great hamburgers and a lovely atmosphere.

I rather like ramen, noodles in soup. Ramen are very good and tend to be inexpensive, though the counter style service is hard with children.

I hope you have a good time!

Thanks for the great info! Do you live there? I've heard it's very clean but I heard the smoking is awful! Just how bad is the smoke there?

Yes we do eat meat. All the food you mentioned sounds good! 

#33 of 74 Old 01-23-2011, 02:53 PM

Yes, I live in Tokyo and have been here almost 11 years now. I have been to Hiroshima on a short trip, it is actually very nice.

I am not sure about Hiroshima nowadays, but smoking IS bad in Tokyo, and I presume the laws are the same in Hiroshima. There are non smoking (say kee-en-sek-kee) ki enseki areas in restaurants. We usually also say we want to sit as far away as possible from the smoking area. The smoking areas are generally behind some sort of screen, even a siding door in some places, so the smoke does not travel. I destest smoking, makes me feel sick and I am perfectly comfortable in non smoking areas. It is legal to smoke in the streets. Oh yes, and starbucks is totally nonsmoking!

If there is anything else you need to ask, please let me know!

#34 of 74 Old 01-24-2011, 07:53 AM

Quote:

Yes, I live in Tokyo and have been here almost 11 years now. I have been to Hiroshima on a short trip, it is actually very nice.

I am not sure about Hiroshima nowadays, but smoking IS bad in Tokyo, and I presume the laws are the same in Hiroshima. There are non smoking (say kee-en-sek-kee) ki enseki areas in restaurants. We usually also say we want to sit as far away as possible from the smoking area. The smoking areas are generally behind some sort of screen, even a siding door in some places, so the smoke does not travel. I destest smoking, makes me feel sick and I am perfectly comfortable in non smoking areas. It is legal to smoke in the streets. Oh yes, and starbucks is totally nonsmoking!

If there is anything else you need to ask, please let me know!

Uh I feel the same about smoking and I don't want to expose my kids to it :( I'm glad at least star bucks is nonsmoking! Thank you so much for answering questions. My husband just left today for Japan and he will be there for 5 weeks so he'll kind of get a feel of things before we get out there which is nice. That site you gave is very helpful!

#35 of 74 Old 01-24-2011, 07:54 AM

Oh ya mmmochi,

Forgot to ask you. Do you buy your food there in Tokoyo only or is there a website you can order from?

#36 of 74 Old 01-24-2011, 03:26 PM

There is a food delivery service, which is workable if you can read and write Japanese.....I struggle to  be honest.

There are a few good supermarkets. I go to Seiyu and Tesco...Ill have a lot in Hiroshima for you and get back to you. What kind of thing do you need to buy from the supermarket, as separate pharmacies carry things like diapers.

#37 of 74 Old 01-24-2011, 03:27 PM

Im happy to help. I hope your husband has a good trip! If you need anything, just ask, Im happy to help.

#38 of 74 Old 01-24-2011, 07:16 PM

biggrinbounce.gif mmmmmmmmmmochi you are sucha jolly good hearted girl!bow2.gif

#39 of 74 Old 01-24-2011, 09:03 PM

joy.gif Orro!

I remember how hard it is to just get by and survive in Japan in those early days, so am happy to help someone else not have to survive on Maccy d`s and vending machine cola.

Ok...so Hiroshima supermarkets, the easiest one find as far as i can see, is in the basement of Hiroshima Station. This is not nasty like it sounds. Many large department stores and grocery shops are joined onto stations. I think it is called `SOGO` (sew-go). You should be able to find everything you need there. There are also food departments in Department stores, usually in the basements. The best thing is for your husband to ask a Japanese associate to reccomend one. There are Jupiter import food shops, for home comforts, but it is really hard to work out where they are. I think there is also one by the Shinkansen entrance to Hiroshima Station, if I read the map right.

If you have a non hotel address to deliver to, you might like to try `Foreign Buyers Club`. They are a bit expensive, but do delivery groceries, and an English service. http://www.fbcusa.com/cs/index.php?main_page=index&language=en&zenid=510cc814fc3dff71410ad272621b4a80

They do deliver to Hiroshima!

I have used them a few times, but forgot about them. I generally go to costco now for my import stuff.

I am sorry I am so far away from Hiroshima, and so is Orro.

I will probably be in California by the time you get to Japan!

#40 of 74 Old 01-25-2011, 04:24 AM

I've never been to Hiroshima myself actually,(but i do plan paying a visit somtimes in the future)so i cant help much ...

the thing i do remember is that there used to be a website "Japan with children" and i think there were some tips about Hiroshima

http://www.tokyowithkids.com/

it is quite old but worth a try...goodvibes.gif

good luck!

ROTFLMAO.gif

#41 of 74 Old 01-25-2011, 04:50 AM

Any insights about Vaccinations ?

ive given my first child 3 out of 569 (kidding!) back in Israel and i did so only after he was 4 months old.

we gave him the Whooping cough,Diphtheria and Meningitis

but here i am quite clueless although i am doing some online research i was wondering if anyone have previous experience with the subject?jaw.gif

my baby girl is now 3 months old ! time flies!!!

#42 of 74 Old 01-25-2011, 08:21 AM

Quote:

joy.gif Orro!

I remember how hard it is to just get by and survive in Japan in those early days, so am happy to help someone else not have to survive on Maccy d`s and vending machine cola.

Ok...so Hiroshima supermarkets, the easiest one find as far as i can see, is in the basement of Hiroshima Station. This is not nasty like it sounds. Many large department stores and grocery shops are joined onto stations. I think it is called `SOGO` (sew-go). You should be able to find everything you need there. There are also food departments in Department stores, usually in the basements. The best thing is for your husband to ask a Japanese associate to reccomend one. There are Jupiter import food shops, for home comforts, but it is really hard to work out where they are. I think there is also one by the Shinkansen entrance to Hiroshima Station, if I read the map right.

If you have a non hotel address to deliver to, you might like to try `Foreign Buyers Club`. They are a bit expensive, but do delivery groceries, and an English service. http://www.fbcusa.com/cs/index.php?main_page=index&language=en&zenid=510cc814fc3dff71410ad272621b4a80

They do deliver to Hiroshima!

I have used them a few times, but forgot about them. I generally go to costco now for my import stuff.

I am sorry I am so far away from Hiroshima, and so is Orro.

I will probably be in California by the time you get to Japan!

You are so sweet and helpful! Thank you for the info and I was just looking at that site yesterday. I'm guessing it's hard to find a  lot of organics for home cooking. I hear the fruit and vegetables are nice though. I'm wondering if our apt will have an oven?? I use the oven SO MUCH! I'm guessing organic meats are hard to find but wait I think you're vegatarian right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orro View Post

I've never been to Hiroshima myself actually,(but i do plan paying a visit somtimes in the future)so i cant help much ...

the thing i do remember is that there used to be a website "Japan with children" and i think there were some tips about Hiroshima

http://www.tokyowithkids.com/

it is quite old but worth a try...goodvibes.gif

good luck!

ROTFLMAO.gif

Thanks for the link ;)

#43 of 74 Old 01-25-2011, 08:22 AM

Quote:

ive given my first child 3 out of 569 (kidding!) back in Israel and i did so only after he was 4 months old.

but here i am quite clueless although i am doing some online research i was wondering if anyone have previous experience with the subject?jaw.gif

Do you mean just vaccinating in general??

#44 of 74 Old 01-25-2011, 08:25 AM

Sorry for the serial posting lol! 

I was told not to bring a car seat to Japan??? This seems rather odd to me. We will not have our own car but what about cabs, train etc? I will have an almost 3 yr old and a 2 month old. I plan on bringing a small stroller and baby sling.

#45 of 74 Old 01-25-2011, 05:21 PM

Orro! Yes, we did do a few vaccinations in Japan, mumps for the boy. They do the individual jabs here, rather than all in one. We did a reduced , and very delayed schedule. There is no pressure to vaccinate in Japan, if you dont chose to, in the hospital we went to, they were happy to do a very reduced and delayed immunisation schedule. If you do not have much luck in picking and choosing, let me know and Ill take you to the vaccination clinic in Tokyo that we used.

They give you those slips for a few free vaccinations. We paid for mumps, as that is not included, but meant to be quite nasty for boys. We did not do measles, but did tetanus, polio, meningitus, Japanese encephalitus (sp sorry) and diptheria. No whooping cough.

Quote:

#46 of 74 Old 01-25-2011, 05:35 PM

#47 of 74 Old 01-26-2011, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagamama View Post

I have heard the the school system is a downhill thing in Japan -- starts out great in yoichien, shogakko is OK, but junior high and high school are terrible. I know that I am fortunate now to have my kids in a great preschool, but I am worried about the future.  :(

That's also the impression I've been getting.  That's why I am looking into homeschooling before DS makes school friends and wants to keep going to school just to be with friends.

#48 of 74 Old 01-26-2011, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

We are working on a move - we should be gone by Spring. It cannot come quickly enough for my family.

Wow, mmmmochi, after all you and your daughter have been through, I am glad to hear you will be moving on to a better place.  Best of luck!

#49 of 74 Old 01-26-2011, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Mom, using a car seat for children is not as culturally engrained as in the States or Europe. Mothers put babies on their knee sometimes and you do see children crawling around cars as parents drive. However, it is meant to be illegal for a child not to use a car seat here, and a car accident would have the same consequences if a child were not strapped into their seat. So please bring yours!

Yes, when I first observed this, I was SHOCKED to see kids crawling all around a car while it's being driven!  But I guess that's the thing about different cultures... different ways and thought processes.

#50 of 74 Old 01-26-2011, 03:19 PM

Still makes me sad when you read of a traffic accident and there is a small child been killed, who might otherwise have lived if they were strapped into a car seat. I say stuff cultural norms when children are being put in danger needlessly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachBaby View Post

Quote:

Mom, using a car seat for children is not as culturally engrained as in the States or Europe. Mothers put babies on their knee sometimes and you do see children crawling around cars as parents drive. However, it is meant to be illegal for a child not to use a car seat here, and a car accident would have the same consequences if a child were not strapped into their seat. So please bring yours!

Yes, when I first observed this, I was SHOCKED to see kids crawling all around a car while it's being driven!  But I guess that's the thing about different cultures... different ways and thought processes.

#51 of 74 Old 01-26-2011, 03:22 PM

joy.gif The move really really cannot come quickly enough now! I am so so happy to have the chance to be able to leave Japan.

Quote:

Quote:

We are working on a move - we should be gone by Spring. It cannot come quickly enough for my family.

Wow, mmmmochi, after all you and your daughter have been through, I am glad to hear you will be moving on to a better place.  Best of luck!

#52 of 74 Old 01-26-2011, 03:29 PM

Peachy,

You will need to enrol with a charter school, like Calvert or Sonlight, and get paperwork confirming enrollment and start date, and this has to be submitted to the ward office. To be honest, from that point they really do not care much what you do.

We had to also fight the school to get dd out, as she was enrolled there. In the end they have her down as a `school refuser`, despite having all the paperwork proving she is homeschooled.

You should actually be left alone from that point in, Peach. There is no supervision from the ward office, just put in the paperwork every year and you will be fine. Calvert is terribly unfriendly and rude  in my experience, and their delivery was useless, but the course is very good indeed. It is also a bit expensive....I have heard good things about sonlight, but it IS a Christian course, and so not for us, really.

Good luck with the homeschooling! If I can help in any way let me know.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagamama View Post

I have heard the the school system is a downhill thing in Japan -- starts out great in yoichien, shogakko is OK, but junior high and high school are terrible. I know that I am fortunate now to have my kids in a great preschool, but I am worried about the future.  :(

That's also the impression I've been getting.  That's why I am looking into homeschooling before DS makes school friends and wants to keep going to school just to be with friends.

#53 of 74 Old 01-27-2011, 02:42 PM

Quote:

You can buy organic veggies, but the supply will not be as regular as you are used to, in fact some days you buy sweetcorn, other days there is nothing etc. It is very seasonal. There is an organic mark you can look for. Ill try and take a photo of one so you can look out for it. We eat meat now and again. We have been very happy with www.themeatguy.jp . He has very good quality meat and the delivery was good too. I do believe he sometimes has organic produce. I have never seen meat labeled as organic in the supermarket here, Im afraid.

Oven...no, it is highly unlikely you will have an oven, let alone what you will recognise as a family oven. You cannot buy a proper oven here. We tried and failed. It is just  not the culture, I suppose. You can buy those oven/micro combinations. We have a healsio, which is going to be rubbish compared to with what you have, but you can bake a cake, or do a chicken in it. Sorry, no ovens, makes me cry too. A proper oven, gas or electic, with a few shelves etc...I have never seen one for sale here, not even in the huge electric shops, nor online or in kitchen shops. We looked and looked.

How long as you going to be in Hiroshima? Are you going to be living here? hug2.gif I am not being unkind or negative, but I would say I would not reccommend to anyone with children to live here. I have been here for over ten years and cannot wait to leave. You WILL get stared at in the street, there is a certain amount of anti-foreigner racism, it is not a fluffy kind accepting place in my experience. If you are here for a while, are you planning on finding an international kindergarten? I really am not trying to be unkind or negative, I just know how hard it is when expectations crash and things are not as you want them or expect them to be for you as a family. I learnt the hard way..I really am not trying to be unkind, and Im sure Ill get shot down and people will say `oh I love japan, great place.`

i'm going to be in Hiroshima for about 6 months. My husband plays for the Hiroshima Carp so we will only be there for the season Then come back to states in September. I understand where you're coming from so don't think at all like you're being unkind. Apparently we have an oven but I'm not sure If it's a proper one hmmmmm. Thank you for the meat site! That could really be a lifesaver for me! Hopefully DH will get to go check it out soon If need be I will ship a good toaster oven there! Thanks again for your help :)

#54 of 74 Old 01-27-2011, 04:24 PM

This is the best oven I have had in japan http://en.item.rakuten.com/den-ki-ya2/mro-fs7/. I do not like the helsio so much (sharp). The helsio doesnt brown as well or cook as evenly as my other one.

I found http://search.rakuten.co.jp/search/inshop-mall?f=1&v=3&sid=218946&uwd=1&s=1&p=1&sitem=MRO-GV&st=A&nitem=&min=&max=!!!! I do not know about having them plumbed into the gas, but they look considerably better and wish I had seen them before!

I bought my Toshiba in Costco quite cheaply.

I really wish you all the best of luck once you are in Japan. Amazon.co.jp do really good delivery, and you can pay cash on delivery too, so you do  not even have to enter your card details. They are very prompt at delivering and the website is partially in English. They do deliver diapers and some food. http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/search/ref=sr_nr_seeall_1?rh=k%3Adiapers%2Ci%3Ababy&keywords=diapers&ie=UTF8&qid=1296174133

Ill have a think about other things for you. PM me if you need anything else.

#55 of 74 Old 01-27-2011, 04:28 PM

Also bring shoes! I strgg;e to find anything above a 25cm in a nice style and kids shoes are awful.

My daughter lives in mary janes from the uk, and i find it hard to find kids shoes for her as she is an adult size here...at 8 years old - 23 cm

#56 of 74 Old 01-27-2011, 04:40 PM

Ah! My husband will be impressed, he loves baseball with a passion and has passed that onto my 4 year old son.

If there is anything else you need, or want to ask, let me know. I can read Japanese and am happy to help you order. My Japanese is not great but I can survive here. Hopefully there will be a good support system in place for you once you get here.

It doesnt look like there is a costco near you, but perhaps if your husband is playing games in Tokyo stadiums, you will get to come up to TOkyo now and again. Toys r us/babies r us has everything you need for babies. http://www2.toysrus.co.jp/store/en/chugoku.html. The Hiroshima addresses are there.

Please feel free to pm me, and I am sure Orro will be happy to answer any questions too!

Quote:

i'm going to be in Hiroshima for about 6 months. My husband plays for the Hiroshima Carp so we will only be there for the season Then come back to states in September. I understand where you're coming from so don't think at all like you're being unkind. Apparently we have an oven but I'm not sure If it's a proper one hmmmmm. Thank you for the meat site! That could really be a lifesaver for me! Hopefully DH will get to go check it out soon If need be I will ship a good toaster oven there! Thanks again for your help :)

#57 of 74 Old 01-28-2011, 01:28 PM

Quote:

Also bring shoes! I strgg;e to find anything above a 25cm in a nice style and kids shoes are awful.

My daughter lives in mary janes from the uk, and i find it hard to find kids shoes for her as she is an adult size here...at 8 years old - 23 cm

good info! i was wondering about shoes. 

Quote:

Ah! My husband will be impressed, he loves baseball with a passion and has passed that onto my 4 year old son.

If there is anything else you need, or want to ask, let me know. I can read Japanese and am happy to help you order. My Japanese is not great but I can survive here. Hopefully there will be a good support system in place for you once you get here.

It doesnt look like there is a costco near you, but perhaps if your husband is playing games in Tokyo stadiums, you will get to come up to TOkyo now and again. Toys r us/babies r us has everything you need for babies. http://www2.toysrus.co.jp/store/en/chugoku.html. The Hiroshima addresses are there.

Please feel free to pm me, and I am sure Orro will be happy to answer any questions too!

Quote:

Again thank you so much. You have been so very helpful! There will be 3 other american families there so that will be nice. When do you head back to the states?

#58 of 74 Old 01-28-2011, 02:24 PM

Im not American...Im European, so its going to be a little bit strange for me going to live in America, though I really cant wait to go. Dh has found a good job, and although Ive only visited the US before, I am pretty sure we will be very happy there. Once the visas are sorted out, we will be heading to California. I think we should be there by April if everything goes smoothly.

It is good that you will have other American families there, hopefully that will mean a bit of support and people to talk to.

I am happy to help, really.

If I think of anything else, Ill let you know. hug2.gif

#59 of 74 Old 01-29-2011, 08:53 AM

We love Cali :)  I hope you get there soon hug2.gif

#60 of 74 Old 01-29-2011, 11:26 PM

Thank you mom61. I really hope the move works out and we can be in Cali soon.

If we are still around and you are in Tokyo, Ild be happy to meet you for a Starbucks, and Im sure we can get a few other moms together.

If you are devoted to a particular brand of shampoo or soap, Ild bring a supply with you, the Japanese brands are different. I dont know about Hiroshima, but if you need a good hairdressers that speak English, Sin Den in Tokyo are great and do really good colour. I would bring stuff like hair removal wax, if you use it as well. Its things like that, which I really miss. You can get Johnsons baby toiletries, but apart from that, only Japanese brands. I would also bring a baby paracetamol with you, just in case. You can buy `bufferin` here, but I jsut dont trust it as much.

I have my fingers crossed for you that you will find nice people in Hiroshima and it isnt too hard on all of you.

It is so difficult, we have to be where the work is for my dh, and that is not always where we are happiest. I have told him that if we get to Cali, I am NOT ever coming back to Japan. I have done my time here and I need a bit of living rather than surviving.

You will be fine here, people do manage. I didnt get much help when I first had to be in Japan with children, and I would hate to think of anyone struggling like I did, so please dont worry about asking questions.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page