I'm in a small Chinese city... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 03-31-2012, 06:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Just read through all the threads about giving birth in China, but unfortunately, much of that information doesn't apply to me! I'm in a smaller city without a lot of Western/English-speaking childbirth resources the way the larger cities seem to have. We're a long way from the big cities, so going to a different city to give birth doesn't seem like an option, especially since I'd prefer a home birth.

Has anyone here given birth in a small Chinese city and can help me out with information? Even if it doesn't apply to my city (Yantai) specifically.

I'm having trouble navigating my pre-natal care and questioning the doctors - my SO is Chinese, but I am not. He translates everything for me, but it's hard to advocate for myself when I can't be part of the conversation. They also seem to have a lot of strange beliefs about the fragility of pregnant women here, which are not held in the West. The doctor told me, for example, that I shouldn't exercise! It's frustrating.

#2 of 3 Old 06-07-2012, 01:44 AM

oh, which city of your living? pregnancy woman should have to some excise like jogging! my doctor told me. and i offten take part in the weekly lecture to learn the knowledge of pregnancy and BF.

#3 of 3 Old 06-07-2012, 05:51 AM - Thread Starter

I'm in Yantai. It is a city, but a small one.

You're lucky that your doctor told you the right information. I think my doctors just don't seem to care. It's hard to tell what is right and what is wrong when they give me advice. I'd much rather go to Qingdao, where I heard there is an excellent women's hospital, which even has midwives.

It would be nice to take childbirth classes but I think they are only offered in Chinese. However I'm having my SO find some so we can start going soon.

These days I'm just getting my medical advice from doctors in the West. However I am going to give birth in China. Right now I'm looking for information about midwives and doulas near my city. Unfortunately I am having trouble finding any. Do you know of any midwife organizations?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page