Giving birth in China - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 49 Old 08-10-2008, 04:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone have any experience on giving birth in China? I'm wondering if it is treated like a very medical experience, or if there is a more natural approach possible?

Mom of 5: dd (10), ds (8) & dd2 (4), my sweet baby son born still 3/2/09, and celebrating the arrival of our dd 5/7/10.
#2 of 49 Old 08-13-2008, 06:23 AM

High C/S rates and highly medicalized. We have quite a few women fly here (Thailand) to have their babies. If you can say what area you're in China, you may get recommendations for options.

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#3 of 49 Old 08-14-2008, 04:13 AM - Thread Starter

Beijing.

I have a friend who knows another expat who apparently had a homebirth. Unfortunately, she has lost touch with this woman, so I have no way to find out more info.

Mom of 5: dd (10), ds (8) & dd2 (4), my sweet baby son born still 3/2/09, and celebrating the arrival of our dd 5/7/10.
#4 of 49 Old 08-29-2008, 12:59 AM

I know a woman who has had both babies in China (in Beijing), she could give you a first-hand idea of what it's like. She did the Beijing Int'l hospital route and had 2 c/s ... yes, very medicalized "special" treatment, esp. for foreigners. PM me if you'd like her email address, she's a very AP mama.

There is an American midwife who may or may not still be in Beijing, I can look for her info as well...

I am a former expat who chose to go back to the US for both of my births, because I wanted homebirths with reliable options to transfer. But, going home was an option for me...

There is another mama on mdc who is a Beijing expat mama, I'm sure she'll chime in soon!

Best wishes! I remember so well the difficulties we had in deciding what to do!

Mama to 4 girls    chicken3.gif5/05, 12/07, 9/09, 3/11   winner.jpghomeschool.gifhomebirth.jpg

#5 of 49 Old 09-02-2008, 10:27 AM

Hey - I'm in China and very interested in this post - I hope somebody sees it and responds. I don't have much help to give - I had my first in the States, but we're ttc #2 this Spring and we'll still be here. I'd like to deliver here, but at home (had a homebirth with #1). No idea how this will work. Honestly? Being in a Chinese hospital to deliver scares the be-jeepers out of me. I don't think Chinese hospitals are incompetent (the good hospitals, anyway), I just think culturally it would be really hard. I speak some Chinese and could communicate with a doctor - but the concept of authority is really dif't here. Questioning the doctor's orders would be tough to navigate with the importance of saving face. I have also heard it's pretty medicalised. My (currently rather weak) plan is to find a western midwife (somehow, I have no idea how) and convince her to attend my homebirth. Yeah, I'm gonna need some luck.

If you're interested, I do have a list of 'good' hospitals in Shanghai and Beijing (I just know that foreigners here trust these hospitals, not that they are necessarily pro-natural birth). Many women also go to Hong Kong to deliver, but I'm sure they go to the hospitals there and I'm not so sure they have a natural mindset. As I find out more, I'll post.

Lizbiz, wife to my man who makes me smile, and mom to one bouncy boy (08/07), one sassy girl (12/09), and one sweet new boy (08/12).

#6 of 49 Old 10-15-2008, 08:18 PM

I live in Beijing the past 3 years. And Shanghai 2.5 years before that. I have a short list of all the "Birth Options" in China...doulas, water birthing hospitals, and pro-natural birth docs (and a midwife proper in Yunnan province) I can send you. Please PM me so we can get in touch!!

And if you're interested in organic and natural living in BJ, join my Beijing Organic yahoo group, too. 375 members or so.
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group...anic_consumers

Liora in Beijing

(Unassisted home birther, due with #3 peanut in February!)

Liora, Frum Jew In Beijing, Mom of Three (one "Almost Autistic" healed in 3 years with biomed and one amazing girl with Down syndrome using Targeted Nutritional Intervention (TNI)
#7 of 49 Old 10-15-2008, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatmommy View Post
Beijing.

I have a friend who knows another expat who apparently had a homebirth. Unfortunately, she has lost touch with this woman, so I have no way to find out more info.
I had a home birth (unassisted). So did one of the Beijing LLL leaders here (unassisted, twice I believe). So did another expat woman, a doctor, with the Yunnan Province midwife in attendance.

And I know a couple in SH, too. So it DOES happen here! hee hee

Liora

Liora, Frum Jew In Beijing, Mom of Three (one "Almost Autistic" healed in 3 years with biomed and one amazing girl with Down syndrome using Targeted Nutritional Intervention (TNI)
#8 of 49 Old 10-24-2008, 01:45 AM

I'm 12 weeks along with my first and it looks like I'll be delivering in Shanghai.

While I'm not insistent on a homebirth, I would at least like to feel comfortable, and as though my wishes are respected, which I think will be hard to achieve even in a western-style hospital or clinic. May I have some information about who to contact here in Shanghai? It seems like some of you know of some ways where a natural birth may be possible without me feeling stressed and pressured by a doctor the whole time.

Thanks in advance!
#9 of 49 Old 10-29-2008, 05:27 AM

PMing you with doula etc. details.

liora in Beijing

#10 of 49 Old 11-22-2008, 06:56 AM

Liora, would you pm me with the detail for the midwife in Yunnan? We live here and I have an expat friend who is expecting. She has had two home births and would love another one, if possible. She is also looking at UC.
#11 of 49 Old 04-02-2009, 03:35 AM

Hi,
I am now in GZ pregnant with my 3rd baby. The other 2 were born in Scotland. One of them was a home birth & I loved it!!! I would really like this 3rd one to be born at home too and I hope to find a doctor to come to my house for the birth. Do you happen to know anything about cases of homebirth in GZ????
Kat

Quote:
Originally Posted by lioralourie View Post
I had a home birth (unassisted). So did one of the Beijing LLL leaders here (unassisted, twice I believe). So did another expat woman, a doctor, with the Yunnan Province midwife in attendance.

And I know a couple in SH, too. So it DOES happen here! hee hee

Liora
#12 of 49 Old 04-02-2009, 07:14 AM

sorry, I don't know anything about Guangzhou

but in my experience, it is VERY worthwhile to ask a doctor directly. If you can find one, say, head of the department, who really believes in natural birth he just might attend you at home, and bring some emergency equipment etc. You might even get a Chinese birth certificate out of the deal! I have heard that 5000 kwai will buy you such a scenario.

Is there a water birthing hospital or some such thing in GZ?

#13 of 49 Old 04-03-2009, 12:14 PM

@MeiMei: There are several LLL group meetings (English and Chinese) in Shanghai, I'd be happy to PM you the meeting information. You should be able to get in touch with other mothers there and gather some information on childbirth options after the "official part" of the meeting.

Andreateapot2.GIF read.gif homebirth.jpg winner.jpg hang.gif, wife to K coolshine.gif, mother to loveeyes.gif photosmile2.gif reading.gif blahblah.gif

#14 of 49 Old 04-06-2009, 02:21 AM

he MeiMei and anyone else interested, http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ShanghaiMamas is a great group of mamas, mostly expat (English speaking forum)

Searching their archives will get you lots of stories about Peace Maternity, Changning Maternity hospital (water birth avaialble there) SH United Family HOspital, and more.

Search for Shanghai Doulas and you'll find a doula practice with 3 doulas there too.

best,
liora in beijing

#15 of 49 Old 05-13-2009, 04:29 AM
YPB

Quote:
Originally Posted by kattyta View Post
Hi,
I am now in GZ pregnant with my 3rd baby. The other 2 were born in Scotland. One of them was a home birth & I loved it!!! I would really like this 3rd one to be born at home too and I hope to find a doctor to come to my house for the birth. Do you happen to know anything about cases of homebirth in GZ????
Kat
Hello kattyta,
my name is yelli and i'm living in foshan...
I am pregnant with our first child... 23 weeks, and we are very happy
I am trying to locate a midwife or doula in our area that can speak Inglish, and that can join me to the hospital when the time come.
I would love to have a Home-birth, but i am not sure i can find a doctor to help me
if you have some informtion, i'll be very happy to hear from you!
thank you
yelli
#16 of 49 Old 06-29-2009, 10:54 AM

Hi all,

I stumbled across this thread by chance and it's really got me thinking now...
I'm an Australian woman married to a Chinese man and we are living in Yangshuo, Guangxi province. I'm currently 6 weeks pregnant (our first), due on February 24, 2010.
Up until just now I had resigned myself to having to give birth in a Chinese hospital - we were planning on going to the Military Hospital in Guilin (about 1.5hrs from our home) as the local hospitals here in Yangshuo are appalling.
The idea of a homebirth intrigues me - I had never considered this option as I had simply assumed it wouldn't be possible here (shame on me!). It's definitely something I would prefer. I want both my husband and my mother (who will be coming to stay with us) present at the birth.
I'd be very interested to hear from anyone who has had a homebirth in China (assisted or not) who can point me in the right direction for information or who may be willing to share their own experiences. I'd also be very interested in finding an English-speaking midwife who may be available in my area.
Straying slightly from this thread, I'd also love to hear from anyone who has experience in dealing with a Chinese MIL regarding pregnancies and babies. We haven't told my husband's parents yet as we are both hoping to hold off the onslaught of "motherly advice" for as long as possible.
#17 of 49 Old 06-30-2009, 07:33 AM

First of all: congratulations!

For your postnatal support, there is LLL in China (www.llli.org, select "China" under "choose a country") but I'm not all too familiar with the geography here so I don't know the closest group to you.

I've heard that in Chinese medicine a woman postpartum is considered weak and vulnerable which often seems to lead to the conclusion that she is simply too weak, exhausted ... to produce an adaequate supply of milk for her baby. Mind you: I "heard" this and I am not sure how accurate that really is - but it still sounds as if it were a good idea to build up a support system while you are still pregnant.
Again, LLL might be a good place to start - there were "cases" like yours (woman from abroad married to a Chinese man) in the Shanghai group.

Andreateapot2.GIF read.gif homebirth.jpg winner.jpg hang.gif, wife to K coolshine.gif, mother to loveeyes.gif photosmile2.gif reading.gif blahblah.gif

#18 of 49 Old 09-05-2009, 12:59 AM

lioralourie;12395786]I live in Beijing the past 3 years. And Shanghai 2.5 years before that. I have a short list of all the "Birth Options" in China...doulas, water birthing hospitals, and pro-natural birth docs (and a midwife proper in Yunnan province) I can send you. Please PM me so we can get in touch!!
[/I]

Hi, i am pregnant with my second baby, and am planning to deliver in Shanghai preferably at home, I would love for you to give me those birth options too!!

I live in pudong, do you have any good maternity hospitals to recommend for the follow up of the pregnancy? My insurance doesn't cover the really expensive western ones.

Thanks!
#19 of 49 Old 09-05-2009, 09:33 AM

I know that many Western women opt for the Shanghai United Family Hospital but I don't have any experiences of my own here. As I said, the LLL groups in Shanghai should be a good place to start gathering information. There is an English-speaking meeting at the UFH (see LLLI homepage or I'll PM it to you).

#20 of 49 Old 09-05-2009, 09:52 PM

I just had a feedback from one of the LLL leaders in Shanghai but she was unable to give me any info concerning homebirth possibilities in Shanghai.

My plan is as follows: if the pregnancy is a normal one, I want to find a midewife (filipino, western...) and deliver at home and be followed by a close by hospital ( in case of emergency).

Eventually I'll have to figure out the procedure to register a home born baby at the consulate. But I suppose that if I follow up the pregnancy at a Shanghai hospital it shouldn't be a problem. After all it must happen from time to time that expat moms deliver even by accident in a car on the way to the hospital or at home... ; )
#21 of 49 Old 09-06-2009, 10:44 AM

You'll have no problems registering at the consulate. They don't care where the baby was born as long as you have a birth certificate in hand with all of the proper documentation. As for the actual Chinese birth certificate, that's what you'll have to figure out.

#22 of 49 Old 09-07-2009, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by froglegs View Post
I just had a feedback from one of the LLL leaders in Shanghai but she was unable to give me any info concerning homebirth possibilities in Shanghai. (...)
Maybe you are luckier when you discuss that after a group meeting.
As you might or might not know, LLL Leaders are not supposed to recommend specific hospitals or doctors, or endorse one birth choice over another. Also, due to LLL's "no mixing causes" policy a Leader will refer you to the "social time" right after the meeting - but that is your chance because there might be a mother around who knows.

#23 of 49 Old 09-07-2009, 09:25 PM

I didn't know proud mom, but it doesn't surprise me especially here. Although, for my first baby I had asked for the same thing with the Paris LLL and they gave me the info right away.

Anyway if anyone has some useful contacts please pm me about home birth options! thanks
#24 of 49 Old 09-08-2009, 01:23 PM

I am so glad I found this forum. We are living in Kunming and I'm about 6 or 7 weeks preggo with kiddo #6 due around the first week of May. I'm at a loss for what to do about prenatal and birthing options. Everyone I know here goes to Thailand. I don't know what they are doing for prenatal care. I have 5 other kids at home which includes a 2 and 4 yr old. My husband teaches high school school at the International school. I can't really just take off to Thailand for over a month and leave them all here while he's teaching. We don't have family that could come stay that long. My hubby wants me to just to Thailand and let him worry about taking care of the other kids and he would come just in time for the birth. I don't want to be gone from the 2 little ones that long and then just show up with a new baby. I don't think they would understand like my older kids would. And it would really be a stretch with our money to do it in Thailand. I read something in a prior post about a midwife. Could someone give me some info on that. I want another natural birth with as little intervention as possible. However I'm a VBAC due to #2 being footling breech, but I've had 3 successful natural VBACs. Sorry for all the rambling just hoping someone has some wonderful advice. By the way we were still living in the States when our others were born so I'm clueless on this.
#25 of 49 Old 09-09-2009, 01:19 AM

Coming to Thailand is expensive to birth. And the birthing options aren't great. Not sure about midwives in your area though. If you need more Thailand birthing info let me know.

#26 of 49 Old 09-09-2009, 05:48 AM

Thanks. I'm trying to look into my options here, but it's hard with the language barrier. I'd love to find a midwife and do a home birth, but I'm sure that'll be impossible. It seems like everyone I know in Kunming that has given birth has gone to Chaing Mai. What do you mean when you say the birthing options aren't that good. I'm just not sure I want to figure out how pay for it on a missionary teacher's salary and disrupt our household if it's no better of an option than where I am. I just know I don't want a typical Chinese birth with my husband in the waiting room.
#27 of 49 Old 09-09-2009, 08:46 AM

Well you're a VBAC, even though you've done it before, you'd still have to find an OB willing to "let" you VBAC here. And as for active birth with minimal intervention, there are maybe 4 hospitals that I know of that allow it.

#28 of 49 Old 09-11-2009, 11:54 PM

I've heard good things about the water birth options in Changning district maternity hospital in shanghai, although it is an hour away from where i live. But when i try calling no one ever picks up. Anyone has the extension number for the Gyn/ Ob dept that does water deliveries?

Also if you know of any midwives or doulas in shanghai that assist homebirth please tell me. Thanks!!
#29 of 49 Old 09-14-2009, 10:21 AM

If you are looking for a doula in Shanghai, check out www.shanghaidoula.com
#30 of 49 Old 11-07-2009, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaRabbit View Post
You'll have no problems registering at the consulate. They don't care where the baby was born as long as you have a birth certificate in hand with all of the proper documentation. As for the actual Chinese birth certificate, that's what you'll have to figure out.
Yes, it can be difficult to register your birth with the US embassy or consulate without a chinese birth certificate. I have done so twice in Beijing, for both of my home births. The first time I got a huge run around; the second time I knew what to expect and was prepared. If you choose to have a baby at home keep in mind that you may not get a birth certificate out the deal.

PM me if you need more info.

Serena

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page