Anyone in Japan?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 09-03-2008, 11:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We will be moving to Japan in a few months and I am interested in learning more. We are SO very excited but also have so many questions.

~~Mama to DS1 6/05 and DS2 12/07~~
#2 of 6 Old 09-25-2008, 08:45 PM

Hi,
I just moved to Tokyo July 25th. I have a two year old (6/2/07) and my due date is tomorrow for our daughter! So far I really like it here.

Which part of Japan will you be moving to?
#3 of 6 Old 09-26-2008, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter

Congratulations on your daughter! Best of luck on your birth.

We will be moving to Sasebo - on Kyushu. I will have a 4yo (also born in June!!) and a 1.5 year old. I am *not* looking forward to the flight over. Any tips for such a long flight?

Did you bring pets? We have a dog and 2 cats but we have heard it is difficult to find lodging.

So........do you see slings? cloth diapers?

Oh, what about organic food - is that even a possiblity??

~~Mama to DS1 6/05 and DS2 12/07~~
#4 of 6 Old 10-18-2008, 04:54 AM

Hi,
sorry I haven't replied. I gave birth on the 26th and have been trying to manage the challenges of breastfeeding and having a newborn with the "help" of my two year-old.

You might allready be here but I have seen cloth diapers and wraps and slings and organic food her in Tokyo.

I'm not sure about Kyushu but fruits and veggies seems to taste alot better and come from smaller farms rather than the mass produced often tasteless stuff we got in the states...it costs more but seems more care goes into it's production.

What I haven't seen is lasinoh or purlan and soothies (for breastfeeding) I think you might want to get those in the states before you come.

If you are allready here Welcome!
#5 of 6 Old 10-18-2008, 05:00 AM

Hi,
sorry I haven't replied. I gave birth on the 26th and have been trying to manage the challenges of breastfeeding and having a newborn with the "help" of my two year-old.

You might allready be here but I have seen cloth diapers and wraps and slings and organic food her in Tokyo.

I'm not sure about Kyushu but fruits and veggies seems to taste alot better and come from smaller farms rather than the mass produced often tasteless stuff we got in the states...it costs more but seems more care goes into it's production.

What I haven't seen is lasinoh or purlan and soothies (for breastfeeding) I think you might want to get those in the states before you come.

If you are allready here Welcome!
#6 of 6 Old 11-05-2008, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paniscus View Post
Congratulations on your daughter! Best of luck on your birth.

We will be moving to Sasebo - on Kyushu. I will have a 4yo (also born in June!!) and a 1.5 year old. I am *not* looking forward to the flight over. Any tips for such a long flight?

Did you bring pets? We have a dog and 2 cats but we have heard it is difficult to find lodging.

So........do you see slings? cloth diapers?

Oh, what about organic food - is that even a possiblity??
Hi there! I live in Sasebo now, have for about four years. We are civillians, but have access to the Navy base hear (not sure if you are military or not). If you are the commisary is small, but does have organics. Most Japanese grocery stores have organics as well, but are more expensive!

Slings are everywhere, many men wear the babies when the whole family is out, totally normal in this neck of the woods. I have bought cloth diapers from Japanese stores, but there is not much of a selection, IME. I really haven't tried very hard to find out.

I hope you enjoy it--Sasebo is pretty rural, for Japan, so sometimes people have a hard time if they are used to huge cities. I love it here though, and really would not want to live anywhere else.

As for pets, it really depends on where you live. If you are military and live on base there is a two pet rule, if you are off base or just not military that is between you and your landlord!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page