Is there expat homeschooling families in Korea? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 09-11-2008, 11:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are thinking of moving to Korea and was wondering if there is any group of American homeschoolers in Korea? Where can I find more info about it?
Thank you so much.

~ Have a Blessed Day!
DS 6/2002, DD 5/2006, DS Feb 2009
familybed1.gifhomebirth.jpgtoddler.gifecbaby2.giffemalesling.GIFhomeschool.gif
#2 of 5 Old 09-12-2008, 04:36 AM

Hi from Seoul!
I'm not a mum yet, but I live in Korea and I know that here in Seoul there are a lot of expat families- mostly US military or military contractor families and those kids generally go to school on base. There are some other foreigners here as well and most of them send their kids to international schools but you might be able to find a few that homeschool.
Try asking around on this web forum:
http://www.expat-advisory.com/forums...orea-vf93.html

This forum isn't the most active, but if you post your question about homeschooling, you'll get an answer eventually. Or maybe someone can point you in another direction. Good luck!

Me dreads.gif 32, loving him fuzmalesling.gif33, more each day. Rad boy, jog.gif 7/12/10 & Cool gal baby.gif  4/28/13

I'm a biracial, atheist, humanist, pacifist, anarchist, bibliophile, and educator. Rainbow.gifgd.gifwinner.jpgnocirc.gif

#3 of 5 Old 09-12-2008, 08:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Moving to tribal areas.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#4 of 5 Old 10-06-2008, 03:54 AM

I live in Jeju-do. While I personally have no kids, I've seen some around the island.

I know a family with young children who home school their kids on a small island off of Jeju. There was another family with an older child when sent their daughter to school here but had her working a home-schooling curriculum from the US. That way she was making friends and meeting people her age but didn't have to struggle with language issues.

My city, while not rural, is small. There are no international schools and there is no military base. There are also not many foreigner families (though there are a decent amount of mixed couples with kids...).

Sorry I don't have more info for you. Good luck in your decision. Where are you thinking of going?
#5 of 5 Old 10-12-2008, 10:45 AM

Hi,

Try posting on this website:

http://forums.eslcafe.com/korea/

or this one:

http://www.expatkorea.com/bbs/forumdisplay.php?f=52

I think that there are a few people who post on those sites that home school their kids.

BTW, I did meet one Canadian woman who was homeschooling her child in Korea. So, I know that they are out there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page