Bath and Body Works Ingredients? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 11-30-2008, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I currently use the bath and body works hand soap. I am wanting to try to go more "Green" on all my household items and I am not able to find anywhere what kind of ingredients are in these soaps? Are they ok to use or do they kill all the good bacteria on your hands too? Someone gave me a bunch as a gift for being in a wedding and I am trying to use them up but would like to switch to maybe a bar soap from the health food store if B&B Works soap is not good. Anyone?
#2 of 7 Old 11-30-2008, 06:53 PM

I always look up every skin product we use here. You should be able to find the ingredients and what rating skin deep gives it.

My guess would be that most B&BW are not so good.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#3 of 7 Old 11-30-2008, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer's Wife View Post
I always look up every skin product we use here. You should be able to find the ingredients and what rating skin deep gives it.

My guess would be that most B&BW are not so good.
Thanks for the website! They are about the same danger as Dial hand soap. The worst thing in it seems to be the fragrance of course.
#4 of 7 Old 11-30-2008, 07:21 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I know for a fact that they have artificial colors and fragrances. I get headaches and dizzy from the fragrance alone, if I'm exposed to it for too long, and DD2 reacts (unpleasant behavioral reactions) from the colors touching her skin. We're both unusally sensitive to colors and fragrances, though.

I use Trader Joe's liquid hand soap in our bathroom- I've used bar soaps in the past (they ARE cheaper and easier to find in natural formats) but I find the liquid more convenient and less messy. Actually, I've got a few soaps in my bathroom right now, I think 2 bars plus the liquid stuff.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#5 of 7 Old 11-30-2008, 07:59 PM

I just made some liquid soap today - here is a link- www.familyhomestead.com It is just grating a bar of plain castile soap, putting it in a pot with 8 c. water, melting slowly and adding 3 T. glycerin. I used Dr. Bronner's castile soap which was around 3-4.00 for the bar but it makes 8c. of liquid soap that I know does not contain other chemicals. The main culprit in anti-bacterial soap is triclosan- studies have shown that continually washing with anti-bacterial hand soap doesn't prevent illness and I doubt the chemicals are good for us in any way.
#6 of 7 Old 12-01-2008, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
I know for a fact that they have artificial colors and fragrances. I get headaches and dizzy from the fragrance alone, if I'm exposed to it for too long, and DD2 reacts (unpleasant behavioral reactions) from the colors touching her skin. We're both unusally sensitive to colors and fragrances, though.

I use Trader Joe's liquid hand soap in our bathroom- I've used bar soaps in the past (they ARE cheaper and easier to find in natural formats) but I find the liquid more convenient and less messy. Actually, I've got a few soaps in my bathroom right now, I think 2 bars plus the liquid stuff.
Yeah thats my problem, the bar soaps always seem to be so messy and it always seemed to me like germs would stay on the soap since everyone wipes dirty hands on them?
I dont have a trader Joes around here
#7 of 7 Old 12-04-2008, 04:23 AM

bath n body stuff always get me rashes and yeast infections. i usually give those away if i get them as gifts.

i use the dr. bronner's castille soap for bathing, trader joe's liquid hand soap for hand washing. they also have great shampoo and conditioner that's pretty affordable. for dd i use jason's natural shampoo n conditioner for kids. trader joe's also a scented body wash that my mom swears by, the frangances bother both dd n I so we tend to stay away from anything scented the kiss my body stuff is also pretty green and gentle.

single mama to DD 5.09

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page