Dready Mamas ~ 2009 - Page 18 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#511 of 519 Old 11-29-2009, 05:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hey mamas, cant say i have dreads...i do enjoy my long hair and being able to have it curly, straight, braid it to be wavy, w/e. i do want to dread my son's hair when hes older but i was wondering how you came to the decision to dread your hair?

Shawna young single liquid gold feedin intactlactivist co-sleepin mama to my mixed baby boy Carter Jesse (aug 26th 09)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#512 of 519 Old 11-30-2009, 06:24 AM

I never liked my hair before dreads. It was wavy, dry, frizzy, never cooperated, I never found a cut or color that I loved. After it got shoulder length I hated to comb it out all the time because I'm very tender headed and it took a lot of time. I also fell in love with all the interesting things you can put in dreads like beads, bands and thread.

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
#513 of 519 Old 11-30-2009, 03:44 PM

Yeah, I'm not good with styling hair. I got sick of bothering with it. It was always going up in a ponytail, so why not just stop brushing it and let it do it's thing?

Brianna, mom to my always naked and singing Faye (9/07) and my chubby baby Bronwen (10/10).
#514 of 519 Old 12-03-2009, 01:21 PM

oh ok, so most arent comfortable with the "conventional" hairstyles so you choose dreads because it works better for you. I guess i should share why i am choosing dreads for Carter, or at least seriously considering it if im asking all of you.

I feel as a mother one of my roles is to preserve his natural being as much as possible. Keep chemicals and other toxins out of his body, give him as much clean air in lungs and let his body naturally grow up and not change his natural state, if that makes sense. So cutting his hair doesnt seem to follow that, not until he is old enough to say he wants it cut. Thats his hair, why do i need to get rid of it, however being raised traditional english, your raised to "dine with the Queen" and appearence is important. So locking his hair allows the hair to just be, but still look groomed.

Shawna young single liquid gold feedin intactlactivist co-sleepin mama to my mixed baby boy Carter Jesse (aug 26th 09)
#515 of 519 Old 12-03-2009, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

yeah I'm a bit on that side too, carter'smummy.
for me, it's a lot of being lazy to do all that brushing and styling and stuff, and a lot of feeling that doing all that stuff is counter to being really natural and letting my body grow uninhindered. (I'm also a hairy mama). I also really like dreadlocks

By reading this signature, you agree to join my cult :nana
Google me, you know you want to mischievous.gif
#516 of 519 Old 12-09-2009, 10:24 PM

I have been MIA lately due to a lot going on with my DH health, but I am catching up now.

my3peanuts, I had hair to the middle of my back when I started and it shrunk up to my shoulders. So that was about 50% shrinkage. I had very straight blonde hair before dreading. I have days where I love them and days where I am ready to shave them off.

Carter'sMummy, my 4 yr. old daughter is full AA (I am CC)and I am about ready to have her hair dreaded as well. I think it would be a nice natural style as well as the fact she HATES me doing her hair. I think she gets angry mostly because it takes 2 hours to braid and I refuse to have it straightened!!!! What does your son want?

CariOfOz, I consulted a multicultural salon before DH did mine and they insisted on using wax so I passed on it.

Me namaste.gif, DH teapot2.GIFmarried 24 yrs.,DD #1 treehugger.gif(89), DD #2 blahblah.gif(91), DD #3 weadopted.gifafro.jpg(05), and DD #4 baby.gif (6/11/11)

#517 of 519 Old 12-09-2009, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddhamom View Post
I have been MIA lately due to a lot going on with my DH health, but I am catching up now.

CariOfOz, I consulted a multicultural salon before DH did mine and they insisted on using wax so I passed on it.
Hope DH is better Re: salons.. that's what I was worried about with the wax etc. I know there are a couple of places that do them in this city, but YEOUCH at how much they charge to do it! No way is dh game to do it.. so I wait (he doesn't mind me getting dreads.. he just would like them to look nice and not bodgy like they would if he did it lol)

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#518 of 519 Old 12-10-2009, 09:16 PM

will tto help to ease the snowstorm on my scalp? this has never been a problem for me until now. i'm 6 mos. postpartum with my 2nd babe and unsure if it's just that my chemistry has changed or what. it doesn't itch or anything, and i'm the only one who seems to notice it. i would like it gone!! any advice?
#519 of 519 Old 01-02-2010, 03:04 AM

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page