Dready Mamas ~ 2009 - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 519 Old 01-15-2009, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
yeah, at least I still have my dreads. and i did read all the books in the series after that. the earths children books probably was part of the grounding for me to give birth unassisted on a mountain in brazil too :

By reading this signature, you agree to join my cult :nana
Google me, you know you want to mischievous.gif
#62 of 519 Old 01-15-2009, 10:53 AM

Oh and helen_emily, i've done that with some of mine. I don't think it's recommended, b/c it can cause splits, and i can still see in a few where it was done now that they've grown a bit, but they've also mostly dreaded around the splits if you know what i mean. I don't think it will cause any real harm, and it sure does make the roots look great for awhile I did it before a friends wedding who hates my dreads, so at least they'd look really neat and tidy. They don't look that good anymore Oh well.

Living and learning with my four young ones......
#63 of 519 Old 01-15-2009, 10:54 AM

Majikfaerie, you rock: I admire you very much.

Living and learning with my four young ones......
#64 of 519 Old 01-15-2009, 02:12 PM

""And OMG, totally OT: You have a CHINCHILLA??? I thought that was a made up creature!!! !!?? (OK I googled it and they seem to exist... Actually they're adorable!)""

Yes I have a chinchilla. haha. She is only like 4 years old. We have had her only for about 2 months. hehe.

(I'm glad someone is reading my blog)

winner.jpgbftoddler.gif2ndtri.gif Catholic Mama to Liam, Rowan and one on the way! Wife to an amazing man. familybed1.gif blogging.jpg

#65 of 519 Old 01-15-2009, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by katbomumof3 View Post
Majikfaerie, you rock: I admire you very much.

#66 of 519 Old 01-15-2009, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majikfaerie View Post
the cave story isn't really all that exciting. I read the Clan of the Cave Bear when I was 16, and I was so inspired. and somehow, being a teenager and therefore knowing everything, I believed that reading that book provided me with all the requisite knowledge needed for such an existance.
so I went to live in this cave that was about 2 hours' walk from anywhere (yeah, only 2 hours, so it's not like I was out of reach of civilisation or anything ). I brought with me only a sleeping bag, one water bottle, a small cooking pot, a swiss army knife, a cigarette lighter, a fishing hand reel and a couple of hooks, one change of clothes, and enough food for about 2 days, with the plan to live there forever. oh and my copy of Clan of the Cave Bear
I lasted a few weeks.
I drank from and washed in the river, (which was clean enough for that, BTW), and tried to live off bush tucker and by fishing, I trapped/ hunted a couple of wallabies to eat that I skinned very unskillfully... and mostly I was pretty bored, especially after the 6th consecutive reading of CotCB. and I was starting to get sick of eating fish and not much else. my lighter ran out and I failed at starting a fire without one. I couldn't find flint to make knives. and yeah, I walked back out. that's actually how I got dreadlocks. note the absence of a hairbrush in that list of things i brought.

ahh, those were the days. at least now I can look back and see how silly I was. at the time I was so ashamed that I'd failed.

Awesome! :
#67 of 519 Old 01-15-2009, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helen_emily View Post
The one tip I can think of is make sure you put enough water into the henna when you mix it into a paste.
When I mixed up the batch I did recently, the henna continued to soak up the water for a little while, and dried out a bit till it was less sticky. So after henna-ing a few dreads, I started having all these chunks of paste fall on the floor and I made a lot of mess! It took ages for me to realise and add more water The consistency which worked best for me was a lot runnier than I would have thought, it stayed in the dread better that way.
Apart from that it was super-easy. I didn't have quite enough henna but I have 66 phatty dreads (the henna did about 40 or 50 I think)

Hooray! Another blog to look at!
Seeing all these fun blogs (I specially love the photos) is making me want to blog again... hehe. :
And OMG, totally OT: You have a CHINCHILLA??? I thought that was a made up creature!!! !!?? (OK I googled it and they seem to exist... Actually they're adorable!)

I have yet another question... A friend who had dreads for years was tending mine over the weekend and he did this wierd thing, pushing the dread through its own base one way, and then splitting it at right angles to that and pushing it through, almost like a braid. (Does that make sense?) It really tightened up the bases and it feels good but... will it split my dreads or something? I can probably undo most of the knot-things he made if I need to? I just let him go for it at the time...

Cass also helped me with some wraps. I got the idea from a post a while back and I am LOVING them! I want to find some hemp string to totally wrap some more with, to tame some of the rampant fuzz. The ones I did are colorful and bumpy
Ooh, what did you use to wrap? I still have yet to wrap mine, any uninterupted span of time is very rare around here.
#68 of 519 Old 01-15-2009, 07:40 PM

Did some matinence on my dreads today, and took some pics. It had been almost a month since they were...maintained. I wash them about once a week, and rip them apart every day (sometimes several times a day, when I'm sitting nursing or something), so they don't velcro together... But they were looking kinda shabby. I dampened them with water in my palms and squished a bunch of them back into a round vs a flat shape, and wrapped the stringy hair bits of ends around them so they look more blunt instead of wispy at the ends. It worked out pretty well, I can tell even from a month ago, how they are really getting firmer and dreading within themselves, instead of just being back combed fluff rolled into pretty shapes. :
#69 of 519 Old 01-15-2009, 07:41 PM

Oh, and I was planning on leaving my bangs out, but, erm, they have other plans. haha.
#70 of 519 Old 01-15-2009, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blucactus View Post
and wrapped the stringy hair bits of ends around them so they look more blunt instead of wispy at the ends.
about wispy ends, with some hair I think it's inevitable. most of mine still have slightly wispy ends, and i learned to live with it, after several failed attempts at tightening the ends up that led to the wispy bits falling out and new wispy bits forming. I lost a lot of length that way. (in that photo of me at 16 you can see a kinky end on one dread in front; i'd had it tied up in an attempt to blunt the ends, and that bit broke off at the 'kink' a few days later.

#71 of 519 Old 01-16-2009, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katbomumof3 View Post
Oh and helen_emily, i've done that with some of mine. I don't think it's recommended, b/c it can cause splits, and i can still see in a few where it was done now that they've grown a bit, but they've also mostly dreaded around the splits if you know what i mean. I don't think it will cause any real harm, and it sure does make the roots look great for awhile I did it before a friends wedding who hates my dreads, so at least they'd look really neat and tidy. They don't look that good anymore Oh well.
Ok, thanks for the reassurance. I will crochet around those spots when they grow out a bit to try and help them dread out a bit.

Apart from splitting them, what else can you do with the hair as it grows out? I have trouble palm-rolling that close to my head and can't crochet it either. I imagine the answer is let it dread over time, but are there any other tricks? (I'm not very patient )

Quote:
Ooh, what did you use to wrap? I still have yet to wrap mine, any uninterupted span of time is very rare around here.
I used cotton embroidery thread that I got from my local craft shop. The thread goes from light to dark in the same colour, I think it looks really pretty.
Once I finally made the time to sit down and do it I was surprised how quick it was. All I really needed help with was tying the thread really securely at the base of the dread and then I did most of the actual wrapping.
I only did a few, to test if I liked them. I am going to do a few full wraps and also just wind some string around a few more in criss-crosses. Hopefully those ones will grow up all bumpy!
I am yet to wash with the wraps in though and I'm not sure how well they'll do... maybe I won't wash those bits of hair very well
I will try and add a couple of pics soon if I can...

Quote:
Did some matinence on my dreads today, ... wrapped the stringy hair bits of ends around them so they look more blunt instead of wispy at the ends.
I love the wispy bits! Some of mine are still a bit wierd looking, sticking out in funny directions and stuff. Cass was curious how they'd look with rounded ends so I tidied a couple by rubbing the end on my open palm (at right angles to the hand) and then palmrolled the end, then repeated that a bunch of times, then crocheted any strays in. The results are good but decided I like the wisps much better, I think they look more "feminine" in a way. So now I have a mixture of wisps and blunts ones hehe.

I love this thread I have been serial posting a bit lately, oops. Too many late nights keeping myself awake at work!

: Helen : Currently a veggie, dready, student, NFL nanny!:
#72 of 519 Old 01-17-2009, 03:30 PM

Quote:
about wispy ends, with some hair I think it's inevitable. most of mine still have slightly wispy ends, and i learned to live with it, after several failed attempts at tightening the ends up that led to the wispy bits falling out and new wispy bits forming. I lost a lot of length that way. (in that photo of me at 16 you can see a kinky end on one dread in front; i'd had it tied up in an attempt to blunt the ends, and that bit broke off at the 'kink' a few days later.
Well, that frightens me!!!

I am wondering if we're miscommunicating what we each did to our dreads....I can't imagine what I did causing them to break right off...Hmmm...It undid itself anyway, it just looked neater for my adventure with medical professionals when I took my son in for his kidney tests. It made them look more like dreads and less like "somebody has just not brushed their hair in a frighteningly long time".
#73 of 519 Old 01-17-2009, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helen_emily View Post
-snip-
i used cotton embroidery thread that i got from my local craft shop. The thread goes from light to dark in the same colour, i think it looks really pretty.

ooh, that sounds really pretty. I will be happy when you post pics.

-snip-

i love the wispy bits! Some of mine are still a bit wierd looking, sticking out in funny directions and stuff. Cass was curious how they'd look with rounded ends so i tidied a couple by rubbing the end on my open palm (at right angles to the hand) and then palmrolled the end, then repeated that a bunch of times, then crocheted any strays in. The results are good but decided i like the wisps much better, i think they look more "feminine" in a way. So now i have a mixture of wisps and blunts ones hehe.

i don't mind a mixture of wisps and blunts (tho i obviously prefer the blunt look ), but i don't like them all wispy either.
it's funny, i had a former dreadie friend compliment how the ends were all curly, and turns out she used to straighten her ends bc she hated curly/wispy ends on herself, but loved them on me. i think it's funny to talk w/ people about their personal preference about how the 'ideal dread' looks to them. :d

:d
#74 of 519 Old 01-17-2009, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Well, that frightens me!!!

I am wondering if we're miscommunicating what we each did to our dreads....I can't imagine what I did causing them to break right off...Hmmm...It undid itself anyway, it just looked neater for my adventure with medical professionals when I took my son in for his kidney tests. It made them look more like dreads and less like "somebody has just not brushed their hair in a frighteningly long time".
well, don't get me wrong; they didn't break right away... just that the ends got weakened and eventually the individual hairs got brittle and broke, leaving more wispy ends.
i also found that trimming the wispy ends off didn't help either - the bottom of the dreads all undreaded slightly, leaving new wispy ends, and less length

#75 of 519 Old 01-18-2009, 02:17 PM

Not a dready mama, although I want to be! I did have a story to share, since I read this page with envy ALL the time. Went to the evil Walmart the other day, had'nt showered in a few days, wearing the oldest tshirt I owned, hair not brushed, generally looking my worst. Got not 1 but 2 compliments on my dreads(that don't exist, except had'nt brushed in a few days). I thought this was hysterical, and am using it as proof to DH that it would'nt take long for this to work for me.
#76 of 519 Old 01-18-2009, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

great story!

#77 of 519 Old 01-18-2009, 10:18 PM

:
I have just started to use "lock peppa' to help lock those new-growth wisps together, next I take a felting needle and felt the now knot into the locks. This has been working so well in my 1 y/o dreads. wish i had come up with this sooner! it also works great with those wispy pieces too!
peace
#78 of 519 Old 01-18-2009, 10:25 PM

Quote:
it's funny, i had a former dreadie friend compliment how the ends were all curly, and turns out she used to straighten her ends bc she hated curly/wispy ends on herself, but loved them on me. i think it's funny to talk w/ people about their personal preference about how the 'ideal dread' looks to them. :d
Yeah, thinking about it I know a couple of dready girls with blunt ends and I think they look absolutely gorgeous that way as well... So I was being a bit extreme before! I think I might just love dreadlocks

So.... (drumroll) I have some long-promised pictures and two (yes two!) horrible stories!

The long purple wrap (I decided I don't like the blunt end but too late now hehe)
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3468/...447400.jpg?v=0

The green "bumpy" one (hopefully this dread will go all bumpy and wild)
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3430/...d8cf60.jpg?v=0

And finally a very bad camera phone photo of the wraps at the back: a little yellow spiral that Cass put in, and a solid one going from yellow to green that I did watching an episode of House last night
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3447/...e59a51.jpg?v=0

I took these photos the other night, all inspired from reading this thread. Hence the horrible "flash" look.
The next night I had my little brother's 17th birthday at my house and one of his "friends" knocked off my camera and my partner's camera! I think they also took some ipods but when someone noticed the ipods missing they mysteriously appeared back where they were before. There weren't even that many kids there
This sucks so much, I can't afford a new camera any time soon and I am going on a big holiday soon and now unless there's some miracle, I won't have any photos from it. And even worse, no more dready photos to show off!

And my other horrible story... I really hate washing my hair (pre-dreads as well). I finally got up the motivation and gave it a long over-due wash. The next night I had to run up to the convenience store and grabbed one of my reusable shopping bags that had been sitting outside in the car-port. I had a couple of things in my hands so I kept juggling things around, and then I tucked the bag under my arm to fix how I had my dreads tied up. While I was doing that I realised that 1. my hands felt sticky, and 2. I could smell a horrible smell...
The possums that nest in our car-port had pee'd all over the bag and I'd basically wiped the bag all over myself it was dry, so I didn't notice it at first, but possum pee is ridiculously pungent and I had to wash my dreads (and my self!) all over again! Major frizz!
Mama possum is just lucky she's so cute and also has an injury or I'd be calling the possum man to chuck her and her baby possum out!

#79 of 519 Old 01-18-2009, 10:44 PM - Thread Starter

helen emily, first of all, *drool* you're gorgeous!!!!
second, your dreads look great
third, that really sucks about losing the camera.
and last yuck! possum piss is gross

#80 of 519 Old 01-19-2009, 01:14 AM

helen_emily your wraps are awesome

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
#81 of 519 Old 01-19-2009, 03:11 AM

Helen.. wow your dreadies rawk! And you're in Brisbane too : ( my location doesn't say it but I'm outer sw burbs)

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#82 of 519 Old 01-19-2009, 08:56 AM

Aw thanks ladies

Yeah CariOfOz, I live in Kenmore area.
It seems like there's a lot of Aussies in this thread!

Seeing as you're from Brissy too: I've noticed lately that there are soooo many dready people around this city! At first I thought I was just noticing them more and more since I got dreads, but I don't think it's the case. Dreads seem to be getting a lot more accepted around here, which I love. I've not had a rude or judging comment from anyone, something I was a little nervous about at first!
I used to only see dreadheads in West End but now they're all over the place :
Is it the same on your side of town, or not so much?

#83 of 519 Old 01-19-2009, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter

wow! there's more aussies on this thread than anywhere on mdc

#84 of 519 Old 01-19-2009, 10:14 PM

Helen cool! I live in the outer sw burbs... Springfield lakes area The shopping centre I go to to buy groceries etc is in that burb and it's somewhat a posh wanna be place, yet I see dreads there almost weekly I don't know if I see them more since I fell in love with dreads (I've had dread lust for about 18months or so now!) or if I just NOTICE them more now. I don't actually have dreads...yet. I'm in the growing and lusting stage lol. My hair is about shoulder length now so I'm almost there :

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#85 of 519 Old 01-20-2009, 10:17 PM

Does anyone here have experience with naturally growing out dreads, without using any special products or techniques, just by not brushing? Any links to old posts or pics would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
#86 of 519 Old 01-21-2009, 12:47 AM

honolula...I would check out dreadlocktruth.com and there is a dreadlock forum on hipforums.com (but in my opinion it's kind of pretentious, but oh well I post there a lot too anyway). It depends on your hairtype and such but I think it's a great way to do it. I hated wax and just made my hair nasty. I backcombed loosely once and that's it. I don't think even backcombing is necesary, just jumpstarts the process. Don't know if that helps any but there's my two humble cents.
#87 of 519 Old 01-21-2009, 02:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by honolula View Post
Does anyone here have experience with naturally growing out dreads, without using any special products or techniques, just by not brushing? Any links to old posts or pics would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
my dreads were grown naturally, without any products or techniques. forgive me for being tired and lazy atm. but if you search through this thread (and the previous incarnations of it) for my posts, I posted a load of pics and stories about my dreads (who are now 13yo and to my knees)

#88 of 519 Old 01-21-2009, 03:40 AM

Hello lovely locked ladies!
It has been awhile since I have had time to read this thread. Sorry about that. I love seeing all the photos!

So my dreads are now 1 year and 1 month old. I have been allowing them to grow naturally with very little maintenance for about 4 -5 months now. I really love how diverse they are and how they feel twisted and bumpy. I have had a lot of shrinkage since I last posted pics. But, now they are solid. I hope that I will start gaining length again soon so that they will be easier to put up in a bun. I looked through our recent pictures and this is what I have come up with...

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m...CT0241-1-1.jpg

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m...5/PICT0494.jpg

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m...5/PICT0209.jpg

Hey majickfaerie would you post the link to your blog. I can't seem to find it.
#89 of 519 Old 01-21-2009, 03:45 AM - Thread Starter

they're looking really great mountainmidwife

and try majikfaerie.com that usually works

#90 of 519 Old 01-21-2009, 12:48 PM

Quote:
my dreads were grown naturally, without any products or techniques. forgive me for being tired and lazy atm. but if you search through this thread (and the previous incarnations of it) for my posts, I posted a load of pics and stories about my dreads (who are now 13yo and to my knees)

Majikfaerie, I just read your blog and I hate to tell you this, but I'm pretty sure I made you up when I was 11. I don't know how you escaped, but it's time to pack up your things and return to my private brainspace with the goblins and the talking unicorns. Grab a couple wallabies while you're at it, cuz I'm pretty sure I made those up, too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page