Dready Mamas ~ 2009 - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 519 Old 01-24-2009, 12:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm sending a prayer out to the universe for your son, Cari.

I'm still rubbing and twisting these natty locks. I was looking in the mirror today, with my hair wrapped across the top of my head while I worked on the ones underneath. I was really feeling like a true empress, like I was weaving a crown from my own living hair. My spirit was lifted and again I give thanks to the most high.

Here's a photo I took last night (keep postin' yr pics ladies, love to see it)

http://photos-b.ll.facebook.com/phot...73913_3576.jpg

Now I'm chillin' listenin' to some cool underground hip-hop at deeross.net while I twist and peace out

Beautiful Day in Paradise  @BeautifulDayMom  facebook.com/beautifuldaymama

#122 of 519 Old 01-24-2009, 12:51 AM - Thread Starter

nice one supermama

By reading this signature, you agree to join my cult :nana
Google me, you know you want to mischievous.gif
#123 of 519 Old 01-24-2009, 02:50 AM

Hi, I'm Erin. I've had dreads for 9 years and was pleased to find this thread! Of all the things! I actually just got my hair cut for the 1st time last week! 1st time in 9 years! I just go them trimmed up to my waist. They'd gotten so long they hit the toilet, and that was long enough for me!

Anyone have 'natural' dreads? Mine started after I got a bad relaxer that caused my hair to fall out. I just shaved my head and lo and behold, a few dreads started to form so I went with it! If I knew how to post a pic I would!
#124 of 519 Old 01-24-2009, 03:16 AM - Thread Starter

welcome erin!!!
I have natural deads, just stopped brushing one day had mine for 13 years now, and they are brushing my knees (so I have to wind them into a bun or flip them around my neck like a scarf a few times before I go to the bathroom )

posting a pic is easy - you need to upload it to an online photo sharing site like photobucket.com or flickr.com and then post a link.

#125 of 519 Old 01-24-2009, 03:22 PM

Majik: I wish I could swoop all my hair up! Mine is too thick or don't have the right type of pony tail holders or something! Where do you guy get hair supplies? I've gotten some nice tams from ebay, but I want to put my hair up more, but don't really know how.. Sad!

Here's a pic of me during the "Oregon Deep Freeze". You can see some of my dreads and my pregnant tummy. I was only 6 months! LOL! I'm getting more pics taken soon. Oh, and I was too lazy to put on bra, so no laughing!

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/a...tadeli/021.jpg
#126 of 519 Old 01-24-2009, 03:54 PM

Erin, those locks (from what I can see) look so tight and tidy! I stopped brushing about a week and a half ago. My hair is already in dready clumps, but from what I've read it will be a long time before I have real dreads (which I'm fine with, I really enjoy having this wild cave-woman 'do ). I'm sure my flimsy recessive-gene hair isn't going to act like yours but I'm glad to have another brain to pick re: neglect method.

On the subject of neglect... I'm a little bummed at how much training my hair is requiring. I was really into the idea of letting my hair do what it wants to do and interfering as little possible, but at about 1 week my hair did an amy winehouse, and now every night I wash, condition, and ri-i-i-ip for an hour+. I've read that conditioner sets back locking, but it makes it sooo much easier to separate, and keeps it from wadding up vertically : so I don't know what else to do, for now.

For those who stopped combing: did you use rubberbands at all in the beginning? I'm not sure if thise is a good idea of if it's just going to make things more painful.
#127 of 519 Old 01-24-2009, 06:49 PM

Yay!! My dreads are 1 month old. (and messy as hell I might mention). haha.

:

But, they are coming along...

winner.jpgbftoddler.gif2ndtri.gif Catholic Mama to Liam, Rowan and one on the way! Wife to an amazing man. familybed1.gif blogging.jpg

#128 of 519 Old 01-24-2009, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaLocs View Post
Majik: I wish I could swoop all my hair up! Mine is too thick or don't have the right type of pony tail holders or something! Where do you guy get hair supplies? I've gotten some nice tams from ebay, but I want to put my hair up more, but don't really know how.. Sad!

Here's a pic of me during the "Oregon Deep Freeze". You can see some of my dreads and my pregnant tummy. I was only 6 months! LOL! I'm getting more pics taken soon. Oh, and I was too lazy to put on bra, so no laughing!

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/a...tadeli/021.jpg
nice pic! and whoa; that's a 6mo belly? you're bigger than I was at 42weeks

when I wrap my hair up, I separate it into at least 2 sections. I grab one section and wrap it around the other at my crown, as if the first one was the ponytail holder, then I wrap the end of the other one around that, and then twist all the ends together and keep wrapping it till the end, then I tuck the ends in. if that makes sense. maybe I can get DD to film me doing it

Quote:
Originally Posted by honolula View Post
Erin, those locks (from what I can see) look so tight and tidy! I stopped brushing about a week and a half ago. My hair is already in dready clumps, but from what I've read it will be a long time before I have real dreads (which I'm fine with, I really enjoy having this wild cave-woman 'do ). I'm sure my flimsy recessive-gene hair isn't going to act like yours but I'm glad to have another brain to pick re: neglect method.

On the subject of neglect... I'm a little bummed at how much training my hair is requiring. I was really into the idea of letting my hair do what it wants to do and interfering as little possible, but at about 1 week my hair did an amy winehouse, and now every night I wash, condition, and ri-i-i-ip for an hour+. I've read that conditioner sets back locking, but it makes it sooo much easier to separate, and keeps it from wadding up vertically : so I don't know what else to do, for now.

For those who stopped combing: did you use rubberbands at all in the beginning? I'm not sure if thise is a good idea of if it's just going to make things more painful.
I never used rubber bands. but I can see how they'd help, but also make more work separating. I'd stick to tying cotton strings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplemamaturtle5 View Post
Yay!! My dreads are 1 month old. (and messy as hell I might mention). haha.

:

But, they are coming along...
congrats!!!

#129 of 519 Old 01-24-2009, 09:38 PM

I'm lovin' all the pictures of beautiful dreaded mammas, all the voices and stories. I've only recently found this post (2 or so weeks) and figured our how to post myself. My dreads are back combed and grip'n'rip and coming along great after about 1 yr.

I'll try to get someone to take a photo of mine to post.

peace
#130 of 519 Old 01-25-2009, 12:03 AM

Thanks for the positive words on dreads, Mama's!

Majik~I think the lack of a bra made me look bigger than I am? Wishful thinking, hunh? LOL! After your 4th pregnancy my uterus and ab muscles don't put up much of a fight. I keep reminding myself that I'm going to get BIGGER!:
#131 of 519 Old 01-25-2009, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majikfaerie View Post
poisonous snakes? in tasmania? nothing to worry about at all. tasmania doesn't have anywhere near the number of poisonous stuff as the mainland, and the headlines are way worse than the real incedences.
I dunno majikfaerie. Everytime I visit your blog you have another pic of some gigantic bug or poisonous snake curled up in a corner somewhere! Eek! I'd still love to visit though.
#132 of 519 Old 01-25-2009, 02:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by auburnmamma View Post
I'm lovin' all the pictures of beautiful dreaded mammas, all the voices and stories. I've only recently found this post (2 or so weeks) and figured our how to post myself. My dreads are back combed and grip'n'rip and coming along great after about 1 yr.

I'll try to get someone to take a photo of mine to post.

peace
welcome!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaLocs View Post
Thanks for the positive words on dreads, Mama's!

Majik~I think the lack of a bra made me look bigger than I am? Wishful thinking, hunh? LOL! After your 4th pregnancy my uterus and ab muscles don't put up much of a fight. I keep reminding myself that I'm going to get BIGGER!:
it's not just you - even at 9 months people were still asking me if I was 6 or 7 months pg

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnipmama View Post
I dunno majikfaerie. Everytime I visit your blog you have another pic of some gigantic bug or poisonous snake curled up in a corner somewhere! Eek! I'd still love to visit though.
true, but don't forget that until recently i was living in a *very* rustic cabin in the rainforest, that was pretty open to wildlife. that's not usual in australia.

#133 of 519 Old 01-25-2009, 05:35 AM

Quote:
when I wrap my hair up, I separate it into at least 2 sections. I grab one section and wrap it around the other at my crown, as if the first one was the ponytail holder, then I wrap the end of the other one around that, and then twist all the ends together and keep wrapping it till the end, then I tuck the ends in. if that makes sense. maybe I can get DD to film me doing it
I totally understand your explanation!
I have managed to do this about twice, but mostly when I wrap it up, it's awesome for about a minute, then little stray dreadies decide to untuck themselves and tickle my neck.
Can't wait until my dreads are firm enough to stay where they're tucked. I probably need about 3cm more length as well before this really works.

I have a dready friend who manages to get her locks into sort-of-braids and then twist them together, it ends up looking kinda like a "heidi" braid across the back of the head. Very cute on her and good for job interviews and stuff... I can't pull that one off either though!
Perhaps I can put up a photo of the back of her head hehe.

Today after our plunge in the creek I ended up rocking the enormous princess Leia poofs, I looked so ridiculous! Kept my wet hair off my neck in the rainforest at any rate

: Helen : Currently a veggie, dready, student, NFL nanny!:
#134 of 519 Old 01-25-2009, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by helen_emily View Post
I totally understand your explanation!
I have managed to do this about twice, but mostly when I wrap it up, it's awesome for about a minute, then little stray dreadies decide to untuck themselves and tickle my neck.
Can't wait until my dreads are firm enough to stay where they're tucked. I probably need about 3cm more length as well before this really works.

I have a dready friend who manages to get her locks into sort-of-braids and then twist them together, it ends up looking kinda like a "heidi" braid across the back of the head. Very cute on her and good for job interviews and stuff... I can't pull that one off either though!
Perhaps I can put up a photo of the back of her head hehe.

Today after our plunge in the creek I ended up rocking the enormous princess Leia poofs, I looked so ridiculous! Kept my wet hair off my neck in the rainforest at any rate
okay so I wasn't totally non-sensical. (for a change)
and I didn't manage to roll my dreads into a bun till they were pretty long. I think I'd had them about 2 or 3 years already. I used to do mine into a french braid, which worked really well and looked really respectable to boot, but they've all gotten too thick to make it really work now. I have one on the side of my head that's about 5cm (2") wide.

#135 of 519 Old 01-26-2009, 08:33 PM

Quote:
okay so I wasn't totally non-sensical. (for a change)
and I didn't manage to roll my dreads into a bun till they were pretty long. I think I'd had them about 2 or 3 years already. I used to do mine into a french braid, which worked really well and looked really respectable to boot, but they've all gotten too thick to make it really work now. I have one on the side of my head that's about 5cm (2") wide.
Do they just get thicker and thicker? Even with straight hair? How does that happen?

Beautiful Day in Paradise  @BeautifulDayMom  facebook.com/beautifuldaymama

#136 of 519 Old 01-26-2009, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMama View Post
Do they just get thicker and thicker? Even with straight hair? How does that happen?
well, they do thicken up a bit in the beginning, but usually they stay about the same. mine are thickening because I basically stopped separating and a few of mine stuck together. I have a few now that are one dread at the top and split into 2 about halfway down. I've only got 9 dreads now at the top

#137 of 519 Old 01-27-2009, 03:54 AM

I'm so excited that I found this thread! I am hoping that all of you in your infinite levels of dready wisdom may guide me upon this path...

How do I start? I don't brush my hair very often, and I start to form one unfortunate dread underneath most of my hair - while the rest on top looks tangly and beautiful.

What do I do if I decide I'm done? I really want dreads. But I might not want them for a long long time. I might love them so much though, and never want to get rid of them! Can I brush them out if I get bored of them? Is that a stupid question?

My hair is kind of long, not too long (lower back) so will it get pretty short once it forms into dreads?

Any useful information you should share with me?

Katie
#138 of 519 Old 01-27-2009, 04:16 AM - Thread Starter

welcome katiesk
I can highly recommend you read through this thread and it's older incarnations.

in general, start by not brushing your hair and forgo conditioner. (no shampoo is better as well. you can wash your hair with a natural soap). you will likely benefit from seperating sections of your hair into individual dreads, so you don't get great big fat clumpy ones (not that there's anything wrong with that).
and they can be brushed out if you don't like them after a while, though the longer you go the harder it is. you'll just need a LOT of good conditioner and a patient hand.
your hair will lose some length when it dreads up, but its hard to say how much. could be 75-50%shorter after they're locked up.

#139 of 519 Old 01-27-2009, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiesk View Post
I'm so excited that I found this thread! I am hoping that all of you in your infinite levels of dready wisdom may guide me upon this path...

Welcome! I know people who have brushed their dreads out after several years. It takes patience of course. I decided to just shave my head if I ever don't want them. I'm far too tender headed to brush it out.

I haven't lost very much length at all. It just seems to keep growing and growing.

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
#140 of 519 Old 01-27-2009, 05:02 PM

Ok, so am I the only one up here in the North East corner of the U.S freezing their bahookey off : See, I have a spider issue so Austrailia could be a problem for me. I don't mind snakes if they won't kill me of course, but spiders, whether they are deadly or not really get to me and not to mention if they are big. Do you get big spiders there??????

Everyone's hair looks awesome :

For those that asked a few questions, my hair is VERY fine and straight, hence the lonely 16 dreads, but they did get fat. Also, my hair was half way down my back and after 1 year it is about shoulder length in the back and chin length in the front and has only recently showing signs of possibly growing. This makes it really impossible to put up so I rely on leaving it down, putting it in a tam or a bandana/kerchief.

Me namaste.gif, DH teapot2.GIFmarried 24 yrs.,DD #1 treehugger.gif(89), DD #2 blahblah.gif(91), DD #3 weadopted.gifafro.jpg(05), and DD #4 baby.gif (6/11/11)

#141 of 519 Old 01-27-2009, 09:48 PM

:ya it's cold in upper New England!

Combing them out... I did this after my first set was not locking well and I was impatient. Lots, LOTS of conditioner. Also, I would not recommend wax with too much oil. this causes the hairs to slip not lock. no good. My second set of locks is much happier and I did not loose much length- then again there was only about 6 inches to begin with. BOING!

Now I love my locks even if my father in-law won't look at me. :
#142 of 519 Old 01-27-2009, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddhamom View Post
Do you get big spiders there??????

Everyone's hair looks awesome :

For those that asked a few questions, my hair is VERY fine and straight, hence the lonely 16 dreads, but they did get fat. Also, my hair was half way down my back and after 1 year it is about shoulder length in the back and chin length in the front and has only recently showing signs of possibly growing. This makes it really impossible to put up so I rely on leaving it down, putting it in a tam or a bandana/kerchief.
Yes... we do have fairly big spiders here in Aussieland.. especially in Queensland : theyre skeeery to me too! lol.

I have fine, straight hair that's moderately thick... I'm still in the growing it to a length that is worth dreading stage. It's just shoulder length now so I'm thinking mid year. (which would be sorta interesting timing.. I'm flying back to the states to visit my son, who should be recovered & home after his accident! So I'm thinking I'll do the deed after I arrive home from seeing him. (which is also convenient to not have to deal with my very southern US relatives giving me grief ) I'm planning fairly skinny dreads (I'm going to go into nursing school in a year or two so I'm hoping that will be more 'acceptable' if you kwim) , I've read that skinny dreads either lose less or more length (I can't remember) so maybe one of you knowledgable mamas can clarify that for me?

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#143 of 519 Old 01-27-2009, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiesk View Post

How do I start? I don't brush my hair very often, and I start to form one unfortunate dread underneath most of my hair - while the rest on top looks tangly and beautiful.

What do I do if I decide I'm done? I really want dreads. But I might not want them for a long long time. I might love them so much though, and never want to get rid of them! Can I brush them out if I get bored of them? Is that a stupid question?

My hair is kind of long, not too long (lower back) so will it get pretty short once it forms into dreads?

Any useful information you should share with me?
Welcome.
#144 of 519 Old 01-27-2009, 10:53 PM

[QUOTE=Buddhamom;13077924]Ok, so am I the only one up here in the North East corner of the U.S freezing their bahookey off : <snip> QUOTE]

Ooh, ooh, me, me! :
#145 of 519 Old 01-28-2009, 09:42 AM

OH, bluecactus where are you? I am in CT.

Me namaste.gif, DH teapot2.GIFmarried 24 yrs.,DD #1 treehugger.gif(89), DD #2 blahblah.gif(91), DD #3 weadopted.gifafro.jpg(05), and DD #4 baby.gif (6/11/11)

#146 of 519 Old 01-28-2009, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Do you get big spiders there??????

... has only recently showing signs of possibly growing. This makes it really impossible to put up so I rely on leaving it down, putting it in a tam or a bandana/kerchief.
That's awesome that your hair might be starting to get longer! I know mine is growing cos I'm getting longer and longer roots... but the dreads are staying the same length, must be shrinking at the same rate Can't wait till they start getting longer and I can have really long dreads (yes I know this will take years hehe)

And yes, we do have big spiders here. I hate them so much. However logically I know that the big ones are almost harmless compared to the little deadly ones.. And at least you can spot them walking around the walls!
Here's a photo that I took of a "huntsman" that invaded our fishtank lately.
He was pretty average size for around here, about 3.5 inches or so. My house only gets ones that big cos we live next to a creek. Most houses in my city are filled with the cutest little geckos that eat all the spiders and bugs Ours is too but they just can't compete with Creek Spiders Of Doom hehe. It is the coolest thing to see a little gecko eat a spider that size (or bigger!), the legs all stick out their mouth hehehe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CariOfOz View Post
Yes... we do have fairly big spiders here in Aussieland.. especially in Queensland : theyre skeeery to me too! lol.

I've read that skinny dreads either lose less or more length (I can't remember) so maybe one of you knowledgable mamas can clarify that for me?
I don't know about any hard and fast rule for this, but as far as mine go, there is this random really skinny one at the top of my head that is freakishly long! And the ones that have shrunk the most are the big phatties on my back hairline.
When I combed mine in, I started at the back and then changed my mind about the size. So the ones at the back are plump, they started as about 1 - inch squares on the head. Oddly enough despite the shrinking, the bigger ones are seeming to mature faster?
After the first few I decided I wanted the rest to be a lot skinnier and went down to as small as a 1/2 inch section - the difference is really noticeable. These ones have not shrunk much at all but they're staying fluffier.

I imagine the effect would be the same with the neglect method, in a skinnier dread/neglected section, there is less hair to rub together so the process goes slower?? (I have no idea really )

: Helen : Currently a veggie, dready, student, NFL nanny!:
#147 of 519 Old 01-28-2009, 12:59 PM

Ok, I know we are getting off topic now, but my 17 year ol daughter claims there is a tribe of cannibals in the northern area of Austrailia. Is there truth to that?

#148 of 519 Old 01-28-2009, 06:28 PM

Quote:
OH, bluecactus where are you? I am in CT.
NY state.
#149 of 519 Old 01-28-2009, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helen_emily View Post

And yes, we do have big spiders here. I hate them so much. However logically I know that the big ones are almost harmless compared to the little deadly ones.. And at least you can spot them walking around the walls!
Here's a photo that I took of a "huntsman" that invaded our fishtank lately.
He was pretty average size for around here, about 3.5 inches or so. My house only gets ones that big cos we live next to a creek. Most houses in my city are filled with the cutest little geckos that eat all the spiders and bugs Ours is too but they just can't compete with Creek Spiders Of Doom hehe. It is the coolest thing to see a little gecko eat a spider that size (or bigger!), the legs all stick out their mouth hehehe. (snip)
:
#150 of 519 Old 01-28-2009, 08:30 PM

Yikes. We don't really have any creepy crawling things where I live. Or cannibals.

Katie

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page