Come on in and share your dready wisdom

link to previous thread

By reading this signature, you agree to join my cult :nana
Google me, you know you want to mischievous.gif
#2 of 519 Old 12-31-2008, 05:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Happy New Year to those of you in different time zones! We have about 12 hours to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blucactus View Post
OrganicSister, did you sucessfully avoid the lice?? EEk..
So far so good. I've treated our house once and our heads twice. I read boys don't get it as easily as girls so hopefully my son avoided it completely and all my effort was all for nothing!

On another note, Month 7 has been interesting. I've gotten caught on hangers and velcro (ouch!) and on Xmas day was sitting in a chair too close to the counter and got food in my hair not once but TWICE (the day after I had washed! Ugg!). I've also noticed some shrinking for the first time and lots of tightening recently.

I'm not sure how the dandruff is anymore. I can't tell if I'm still producing dandruff or just unable to get the old dandruff out. This has been the only thing making me upset with my dreads. : Yesterday I soaked my head ACV and EOs and washed with baking soda, then took a looong hot bath to soak my scalp. It felt *SO* good but about half way thru I realized it could be the winter weather and hot water drying out my scalp and causing the flakiness. So I put a bit of conditioner on the scalp to counteract it. Not that it helped. I just wish it would go away so I didn't feel the need to wear my head wrapped all the time.

I found a new hat and would share a picture but my laptop is being serviced and the photo is on it (I'm sneaking on my son's computer right now). I'm also learning to knit and am starting with a hat, so I'll have 2 photos to share but it will be in a couple weeks.

Also this month my two brothers who don't live near me saw my dreads for the first time. One of them had an incredulous look and said now I'm an official hippie. My other brother - the tattooed and peirced one! - thought I was crazy to do something so permanent! Of course I got the usual questions starting with "How will you take them out?" and "Can you wash them?". My sister chimed in and said she could vouch for their cleanliness. Um, thanks...I think.

I also finally confronted my mom on her comments about them. She always make sure to tell me how beautiful my hair WAS and how bad they look now. She does it teasingly but I told her that coming from her it means more than someone else. I tried to explain the spiritual symbolism they hold for me and the spiritual lessons they've brought me. She made some joke about how the conversation went when Gd told me to dread my hair. My (step/bonus)dad didn't like that and told her she shouldn't second-guess when I said something was spiritual to me. My dad is so cool sometimes.

Okay, I've written a book now. Can you tell I've been offline for awhile?

Happy New Year's everyone!!
#3 of 519 Old 01-01-2009, 12:11 AM

Happy New Year! We still have a couple hours to go....
#4 of 519 Old 01-01-2009, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicSister View Post
I read boys don't get it as easily as girls so hopefully my son avoided it completely and all my effort was all for nothing!
I don't actually believe it's a gender thing so much as a long hair/ short hair thing.

anyway good to see you back

#5 of 519 Old 01-02-2009, 02:19 PM

My DD is still loving her dreadlocks. I think they are 10 months now? Maybe more.. I'll have to look.

She told me she misses mine (even though I only had them a few months!) and that I should try again when my hair gets longer. I suppose I will!

Oh, and my DD2 now proudly grabs at either side of the back of her head and shows her dad that she has "two dreadlocks! Like Grace!" She has more than two, but she doesn't like it when we point that out to her!
#6 of 519 Old 01-03-2009, 01:30 AM

Happy New Year Ladies!

I can't believe my dreads are almost 4 months old! They are maturing so fast, I have lost a LOT of length in the front, not as much in the back though. DD has tried to rub them for me which is hilarious.: I love my dreads so much and am so glad I decided to do it.
#7 of 519 Old 01-03-2009, 05:46 AM - Thread Starter

wow, nemesis, i can't believe it's been that long.
my dd seems to not like her dreads any more (not "princessy" enough), but she doesn't dislike them enough to cut them off (that would be even less beautiful ) so dready she is staying.

#8 of 519 Old 01-03-2009, 10:58 AM

I got a pretty new green wrap

I really wish baking soda didn't strip my dye out so bad! This color I have is nice but it fades so quickly even when I wash with just water and dying two color dreads is such a PITA!

I've convinced dh to let me dread his hawk. He said he'll keep them for a bit and then cut it all off though.

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
#9 of 519 Old 01-04-2009, 08:29 PM

I just recently got dreads......I havent put any wax in it yet. I originally didnt want to, but I have frizzy hair and they arent dreading up that well so I bought some wax to help with the actual dreading. How do you all wash your hair? What do you use? I would really like to know. I am currently using dr. bronners, but I wanted to know if there was anything better. Thanks.

winner.jpgbftoddler.gif2ndtri.gif Catholic Mama to Liam, Rowan and one on the way! Wife to an amazing man. familybed1.gif blogging.jpg

#10 of 519 Old 01-05-2009, 03:49 AM - Thread Starter

welcome purplemamaturtle5
personally I don't use anything to wash my hair but water and a good scalp massage. lots of people use various kinds of soaps, vinegar, bicarb soda... there's a treasure trove of information on the old thread; there's a link to it in the OP

#11 of 519 Old 01-05-2009, 03:56 PM

Welcome to the dread thread. I use Dr Bronners peppermint for my hair, and it works well.

Now, for the more seasoned crowd, I have a question. I am wondering if there is just a really simple solution here that is not occuring to me:

The dreads are coming along nicely, but a bunch of them have weird bends and twists about halfway down...and...this is embarassing but I JUST (as in, about five minutes ago) realized it's from putting them back with a ponytail holder. I wear them various ways: everything pulled back in a ponytail with a rubber band loosely around it....everything tucked under a cozy (beanie-style) hat....bandana as a headband in the front....or bandana over everything, tied at the nape of the neck and covering but loose on top.

So....My scalp does the very best uncovered. But I can't stand having my hair in my face, swinging around, touching my face, tickling and waking up my nursing/sleeping baby, flopping in my eyes when I'm trying to do stuff around the house. So I've been putting it back. But now I am really horrified that it's shaping the dreads and making them weird looking. Is there some other option that I haven't come up with that would work for me? Otherwise, O crap....
#12 of 519 Old 01-06-2009, 12:59 AM

Bluecactus - I rarely wear a wrap or bandana or anything I have wierd twists and "turns" in my dreads. They really have a mind of their own. I wouldn't worry about it too much. As they grow and mature I think they will come out fine. Are they really hard and dry? Conditioning them with aloe might help.

purplemamaturtle5- I really caution against wax. It is nearly impossible to get out once it's in there and I think it just glues things together rather than helping them knot. I would use aloe to condition but the frizzies will keep coming for awhile unfortunately, they need time to mature. Just my opinion though, I am sure other mamas can give some valuble input.
#13 of 519 Old 01-06-2009, 04:38 AM - Thread Starter

bluecactus: tam tam tam, tammity tam tam tam!
or just have a headband to keep them back off your face.

#14 of 519 Old 01-06-2009, 09:37 AM

Hey again lovely locked ladies

I was pretty excited to debut my dreads this xmas to my huuuuuuuuuge extended family... I got heaps of positive comments!

Three of my aunts were in raptures over my hair, and told me it looks just like something my dad would have loved and that I look even more like him.
This meant a lot to me because I think part of the reason I got dreads was that I feel like they give me more of a connection to my memories of him. When I was little he would tell me he was a "rasta who wears my dreadlocks on the inside" heheh. So even though he died a few years ago I feel like I am getting closer to him, if that makes any sense. I know he'd love them

I only got one outright negative comment which turned out pretty hilarious, my uncle made a racist comment about my dreads but I know he was just shocked (he's a v conservative farmer) and all his daughters turned around and had a go at him, hahah. I didn't even have to say anything! Those cousins are awesome :

And majikfaerie, the post by you about henna-ing your dd's dreads a while ago inspired me to henna mine up (and make me look even more like my redhead dad hehe).
The only thing was that I didn't end up having quite enough to dye them all properly... and I didn't know you have to wear gloves (other dyes I've used you haven't needed to) so my palms are orange as well! I've been doing a lot of gardening to try and get the orange out!

I'll post some pics of my lovely red dreds soon

: Helen : Currently a veggie, dready, student, NFL nanny!:
#15 of 519 Old 01-06-2009, 10:05 AM

I know I am a few days late, but HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!! I am still loving my locks, but still wishing they would grow already :

Me namaste.gif, DH teapot2.GIFmarried 24 yrs.,DD #1 treehugger.gif(89), DD #2 blahblah.gif(91), DD #3 weadopted.gifafro.jpg(05), and DD #4 baby.gif (6/11/11)

#16 of 519 Old 01-06-2009, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

helen emily, i used to wear gloes when i did hennaing, but now i like the orange. it usually fades from skin in a couple of days, but for the fingernails the colour has to grow out. I think it looks cool

#17 of 519 Old 01-06-2009, 06:48 PM

BluCactus: What about a loose tie instead of a pnytail holder? I have small strips I've cut from fabric scraps to tie my hair back. I generally don't like them hanging down often either.

helen_emily: LOVE your locks! They fit you well!

AFM: I soaked my hair in ACV again, then washed with baking soda then figured it was worth a shot so I washed with Neutrogena's non-residue shampoo (they kind you're suppose to use to get hair product buildup out of your hair) and did a cool water rinse in hopes of results in regards to the dandruff problem. After getting out and drying my hair VOILA! no dandruff was left trapped in my dreads and none resurfaced for days after. So it wasn't new dandruff being produced, just old dandruff like I thought and now I don't have to be embarassed and keep my head wrapped up anymore.

Not sure which treatment helped the most or if it was a combo of all; I'm just glad it worked. I was about at my limit and ready to call it quits.
#18 of 519 Old 01-06-2009, 08:49 PM

My 4 year old niece was sitting on my lap a few days ago and was looking at my new dreads (they are still pretty messy looking mind you) and she looked right at me and said (this isnt an exact quote, but i'll try to get it right) " you would look much more pretty without the dreads" and I wont have any friends if I have my dreads.... Can you believe that!! I really hope thats not what my sister-in-law is instilling into her head...that if you dont have perfectly groomed hair your not worthy. (my SIL is very concerned when it comes to her childrens appearence....) I just kindly explained that what she said wasnt true. I was a bit taken back by what she said.

winner.jpgbftoddler.gif2ndtri.gif Catholic Mama to Liam, Rowan and one on the way! Wife to an amazing man. familybed1.gif blogging.jpg

#19 of 519 Old 01-06-2009, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter

whoa pmt5. I hear the voice of a SIL in that one.

#20 of 519 Old 01-06-2009, 10:20 PM

ohhhhh yes. I think you are right!! *Shame...

#21 of 519 Old 01-07-2009, 09:20 AM

Aw thanks OrganicSister

Quote:
Originally Posted by majikfaerie View Post
helen emily, i used to wear gloves when i did hennaing, but now i like the orange. it usually fades from skin in a couple of days, but for the fingernails the colour has to grow out. I think it looks cool
Yeah I didn't mind much really! But it was really bright at first and I got sick of people asking why. My faux-SIL told me that in Kashmir, they believe henna on the palms is "cooling" for the body and mind... so a few times I've acted all wanky and told people that's why I did it. Heh heh.
I was a little embarrased when I went back to work and the 4 yo asked me why they're orange, and then when I explained he gave me a really incredulous / scathing look and told me I should have worn gloves. Smart kid

purplemamaturtle5, that was such a wierd reaction from your niece! I would have to agree that it sounds like she has some very adult views put into her head... None of the littlies I know have been interested in my dreads until I put beads into them, at which point they insist on inspecting my head and finding them all
It's nice that she has you around to model a different way of thinking.

: Helen : Currently a veggie, dready, student, NFL nanny!:
#22 of 519 Old 01-07-2009, 11:57 AM

Well thank you very much Helen Emily!!

#23 of 519 Old 01-08-2009, 11:17 AM

Hey Mama's! i'm at 7 mos here and loving my loopy, messy head. tons of shrinkage and tightening! i have a ? about henna for u ladies....my 5 yr old dd is the only non red head in the house, and is asking all the time to dye her hair. i believe that hair should look as one wants it to, but don't want ppl to think I'M trying to make her look more like her sibs ya know (she has a diff bio dad, which is where her blonde hair comes from)
i guess i just need opinions, and i know, listen to my dd not everyone else right It's just most ppl don't believe me when i say i let my kids make those types of decisions, they think i must be making them ya know?

Maybe I'll just let my 7 yr old get dready at the same time, give everyone tons to talk about

Peace Mama's!

Living and learning with my four young ones......
#24 of 519 Old 01-09-2009, 01:27 AM

have you asked your DD why she wants her hair red? Does she just like the look? Want to look more like her siblings? Likes the color red? I think this may help define her feelings a bit more and make sure it's the right decision. either way I don't think it would hurt, after all she is only 5, it will eventually fade away if she doesn't like it and you can do it again if she does.
#25 of 519 Old 01-09-2009, 04:01 AM - Thread Starter

if that's what your dd wants, katbomumof3, I'd let her go for it. who cares what anyone thinks? (well, everyone should care what *I* think )
it will fade out anyway. (my 5yo dd has been hennaing her hair since she was 3)

#26 of 519 Old 01-09-2009, 10:40 AM

majikfaerie - really? i stalk your blog on a regular basis, but i didn't realize hers was hennaed. It's the same colour as my oldest dd's lol.
I have asked her, and it is b/c she wants to look more like me and her sis. I explained to her that she does look like me (face) but just has diff hair, while sis looks like dad and has my hair. She agrees, she saw a pic of me at her age, and said it was her wearing her sis's hair If she asks again, i just might let her go for it! B/c really, it should only matter what she thinks, which is what i explained to them when i got my dreads.

Speaking of which, cute story about how much my girls support me. We have these "friends" whom we disagree with on everything, and they continually make rude remarks about my hair when we are together, they have been doign this for 10 yrs (pink hair, shaved head, you get the pic, if its not "normal" they don't like it.) Anywho, on new years they managed to reallyu hurt my feelings, and i was talking with dh about it a couple of days later. Both dd's pipe up, "It's not nice that they were teasing you, I think your dreads are pretty!"
I love my kids sooo much:

#27 of 519 Old 01-09-2009, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

aww, that is so cute

and yeah, dd's hair is hennaed. if you search back through the blog, i did post about it.
funnily enough, it's the natural colour she was born with, and it's the natural colour of her eyebrows, so the henna job looks totally natural. most people can't believe it's dyed, but when she was about a year old her hair lightened to dirty blonde like mine. (well, mine has darkened to brown since I got older, and I was also born with red hair).

#28 of 519 Old 01-09-2009, 10:46 AM

Ah, dd2's hair has changed over the years too. SHe was born with it quite dark, then it went kinda strawberry, then really blonde, and now is a dirty blonde. I've only been reading your blog for a few months, I'll have to look back! Can you tell me a bit about what henna to use? How to do it?
Thanks so much!

#29 of 519 Old 01-09-2009, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

i like to get henna in bulk from a healfh food shop, since it's really cheap that way. I think about 100grams is enough for a head of short hair, but it's a good idea to get a bit more so you have enough for good coverage.
it comes in a greenish powder, you can usually choose what shade to get, though you can't tell for sure what it will turn out like - it depends on what colour hair you start with. i did dd's with copper henna this last time. (copper and dark red are the 2 most common colours)
you mix the henna into a paste with boiling water, smoosh it into the hair, wrap it up and let it set for a couple of hours, then rinse it out.
it does stain skin orange, so its a good idea to put some vaseline or similar around the hairline and on the tops of the ears, and maybe wear gloves too.
good luck

#30 of 519 Old 01-09-2009, 04:00 PM

How easy is it to henna with dreadlocks? (its something I'm now considering looking into....I have dreadlocks....) :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page