JUte Rugs- Should I buy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 12-05-2003, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi-
So I saw a reasonable priced Jute rug at Lowes yesterday.
It was cheaper than a wool one. But I was wondering about chemicalls that might be added that would make it less desierable.
Also, I will have this under the dining room table, a high traffic area with lots of dirt. The tag said to vaccumm frequently, but will it not start to pull the threads out?

Do you ahve any other idaes about cheaper natural fiber rugs?

thanks
b
#2 of 4 Old 12-13-2003, 03:41 AM

I know you posted a while ago, but here's my 2 cents anyway.
Friends of mine bought a jute rug for their dining room and ended up taking it back because it was such a pain. It took stains like crazy and was impossible to clean. After only a couple of days it had marks all over it, and these are like the cleanest people with the loveliest house ever (at least ever with young children). I can't even imagine what a rug like that would do in my house! Yikes. As far as natural fiber rugs, I say go with wool for durability, plus it can be cleaned, or do what we do- cotton rugs all over- cheap, washable, and even better, reversible. Think, family side, company side!
If you did all ready get the jute rug, I think the best thing is to get any spills right away, before the fibers have a chance to soak up much. And maybe only eat khaki colored food in the dining room? Just kidding.
As far as chemicals, I really have no idea.
#3 of 4 Old 12-13-2003, 11:51 AM

I think, I've heard that jute can get wet and harbor mold.

I think jute storage boxes would be okay in a dry place.

Even a jute rug in a dry place -- by place, I mean location of the world, not the Deep South -- the mold and rot district -- would be okay. I'm not sure how you clean jute, though.

-- Caitlin
#4 of 4 Old 12-14-2003, 02:05 PM

I agree with Mama-aya. I wish I had known these things prior to asking for one for Xmas two years ago. We got a beautiful Sisal rug from Pottery Barn as a gift, but it is impossible to keep clean in our household with 3 dogs.

Because they are made from plant fibers, the rugs absorb liquid - you can't clean with with anything wet and they really hold stains.

It is recommend that they be cleaned with the dry HOST system, but there are no cleaners in our region. I have no idea how much it would cost.

Our rug has been rolled up for the past 18 months until I can find a way to clean it .

Pam

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page