clothes line or dryer? just curious - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 04-13-2002, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I posted this on the talk amongst ourselves board, and was just wondering, which you use and why?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 20 Old 04-13-2002, 09:08 PM

Clothesline only (inside in cold weather). I do not like paying an electric bill for an appliance I do not need.
#3 of 20 Old 04-13-2002, 10:21 PM

dryer,dryer, dryer!! I don't have the time nor patience to line dry, props to those who do !!

Erin, 33, salty southern mama, sitting by the sea with my DH35, DD10, DS4, &DD2!
#4 of 20 Old 04-14-2002, 09:24 PM

I would LOVE to use a clothesline, but I live in a neighborhood with strict rules and can't. I dry stuff that takes a while to dry and stuff that I don't really care about (towels, underwear, PJs, etc.), but I hang clothes that I want to keep looking nice on hangers in a spare closet.
#5 of 20 Old 04-16-2002, 04:46 PM

AmyG, you live in a neighborhood with the greedy electric company and people with a strange sense of aesthetics!!! I am sorry, but that really sucks. Can i write them a letter or something?
And as you may have guessed, it's drying on the line for us.
#6 of 20 Old 04-16-2002, 04:48 PM

And i must add that the clothes smell sooo good when you take them back in..
AmyG what do you do with your bedding? Can you hang them out to be aired? (I'm STILL flabbergasted!!!)
#7 of 20 Old 04-16-2002, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

are your backyards visible from the street, or something, how can a city tell you you can not have a clothes line if they can not see it? mine is in my back yard, and is not visible from the street. Just wondering?

#8 of 20 Old 04-17-2002, 12:53 AM

Strict rules are really common here, but I understand that it's not like that all over the country. Most of the rules are things I'm glad my neighbors aren't doing, like having cars up on blocks, not mowing often enough, etc. We even have a few funny ones, like not being able to have your garage door open unless you're actually coming or going.

You agree to the covenants in the neighborhood when you buy your house. The "ruling body" is homeowners, not the city or anything. In fact, I'm probably going to be on the board after our next election is finished.

The clothes line rule is really the only one that I don't like, but it's worth it since the neighborhoods without rules tend to not be very good neighborhoods. No one would say anything if I draped something over the back deck every once in a while or anything, but an actual clothes line is definitely out.
#9 of 20 Old 04-17-2002, 02:50 AM

So what's up with clothes lines? The underwear? Do they think it's unsightly? (Probably since you can't even leave your garage door open.. gee..) I hope you can rock their tidy little boats while on the board. Gosh, where people can express their chaos if you have to keep up such appearances?
#10 of 20 Old 04-17-2002, 10:12 AM
Banned

I do half and half.

I love drying clothes on the line. (call me strange but it is actually a chore I enjoy doing) The smell is from Heaven.

Some things need the dryer or they get all out of shape.

Sheets, blankets, and towels (oh, I need to get a load going) how could I stand them not dried on the line.

I understand the rules and would agree with all mentioned....but the clothesline.

There's something charming about the clothesline. Don't "they" know that a line of drying clothes are in paintings (especially if they're quilts or a row of an Amish family's clothing (I've seen this firsthand and it's sweet the row of boys' things from dad on down and the row of girls' things from mom on down and they agerage seven children so you can just imagine.

Some people...I guess you can't grow *veggies* in your garden, either?!

DB
#11 of 20 Old 04-17-2002, 10:27 AM

Line.

100%

a

The anti-Ezzo king
#12 of 20 Old 04-19-2002, 02:04 AM

I hang my laundry on the line in the summer. It's true: it takes a bit longer, and I can't get as many loads done as when I use the dryer. BUT,
the smell and feel is wonderful, my clothes are actually less wrinkled AND I think I'm doing something good for the environment. My husband gets a bit embarrassed when I hang out my bras and underwear...
#13 of 20 Old 04-25-2002, 10:36 AM

Location: Chester County, PA, but I'd rather run free amongst the sheep
When we rented a house with a yard, we used line drying for everything. DP hated hanging things out, but I didn't mind and we both loved the way our sheets and clothing smelled!

Now, we live in an apartment (trying to save for a house!) and use the laundry facilities provided. I miss my clean smelling sheets - now they smell of dryer. When we finally buy a house, we will have drying lines in the backyard.

April, who misses her sweet smelling sheets!
#14 of 20 Old 04-25-2002, 11:59 AM
Banned

Hey, Veggiewolf, come over and use my line. I live in Chester County, too

Debra Baker
#15 of 20 Old 04-25-2002, 12:05 PM

I could have sworn I replied to this thread. I use the dryer in winter and usually use the line in summer, but I'm anal as to how clothes get put on the line (all shirts together, all pants, etc. I don't actually colour coordinate though!!), so it takes forever. I hung clothes out last week and tried hard just to put them up, but it was really stressful.
#16 of 20 Old 04-25-2002, 05:37 PM

Hopefully I will be able to get a clothesline up soon. I really want to save some money instead of giving it to the laundry-mat owner.

Stephanie

Stephanie married to Jerry  partners.gif  mama to  modifiedartist.gif (10) and superhero.gif(7) and 3rdtri.gif
#17 of 20 Old 04-26-2002, 11:42 AM

Half anf Half.
When we lived in an apt in Chicago, we dried inside using the heater. We made some adjustable racks to move in and out of place. It was a natural humidyfier too. Just a little weird when peopel came over unexpected, or the time when I went on vaction and left a wet landry pile for DP, and he didnt put them up and they just molded in the hallway.
We inside line dried due to not owning a dryer (finaces and room) and me not wanting to lug a basket of clothes and a toddler out to the landry mat in the middle of winter. We had cloth diapes so, it was a lot of landry all the time.

Now in Texas, we are about half and half. We still own no dryer, but I sometimes lug a load to my mothers when we are hanging out one night. My daughter loves to put things on the line- very educational tool.

I have a question- does anyone here who line dries have 2 kids, one in cloth diapers? I am due in September with our second, and I am worried about getting her/his diapers dried in time, and spending too much time on landry.

thanks b
#18 of 20 Old 04-26-2002, 12:27 PM

this would make an interesting poll!

we line-dry with dryer as backup for rainy spells. Dryer lint is the fiber from your clothes, you know..

SquirelNutkin, we have #2 in diapers and it is no problem, we just do lots of laundry, which we were doing already!! We have 2.5 dozen fitted diapers and wash a just-diapers load every other day at least.
#19 of 20 Old 04-28-2002, 04:12 PM

With over 100 days over 100 F, it should be a crime to use the dryer! We never do and right now clothes dry faster than in the dryer!

Ilaria mamma to Owen, Caroline & Patrick .... loving life as expats in Asia intactlact.gifnovaxnocirc.gifuc.jpgnamaste.gif
#20 of 20 Old 04-29-2002, 05:47 PM

.. Irishmommy, i've done the chromatical order on my clothes line before, makes a great art installation too!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page