natural/homemade silver polish? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 12-22-2003, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can anyone recomment a natural silver polish, or something homemade that I could whip up? I don't have a ton of silver, but I need it to work for me. (I'm a procrastinator, I know!):LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 12-22-2003, 09:20 PM

I have heard that a white paste toothpaste will work perfectly. Hope that helps.
Gossamer

Before you were conceived, I wanted you. Before you were born I loved you. Before you were a minute old, I would have died for you. That is the miracle of life. ~Maureen Hawkins~
#3 of 7 Old 12-22-2003, 09:57 PM

I second the toothpaste. I used it for the first time at Thanksgiving. It isn't instant like the chemical polish is, takes maybe a minute of rubbing for each piece. Works great!
#4 of 7 Old 12-22-2003, 10:32 PM

It is going to sound weird, and I don't know WHY it works, but try this for sterling silver flatware and jewelry:

In a non-metallic bowl large enough to hold your flatware flat and emersed, put large piece of tin foil folded up in quarters and a couple of tablespoons of baking soda. Fill with just enough water to cover (a couple of inches) and put in your silver into it and let it soak for a minute. Then shake it around (you may want to do them one or two pieces at a time) and the tarnish will "miraculously" come off. It can take a couple of minutes, but it seems to always work.

I use this method for my antique sterling silver bracelet which I wear once or twice a year (and which tarnishes considerably in between) and while I don't understand the chemistry (magic) it does work

Mama to three small people; wife to one big person; pet-person to cats and dogs..."Be the change you want to see in the world"-- Gandhi
#5 of 7 Old 12-22-2003, 11:45 PM

Although I have never tried it, I heard ketchup works well.
#6 of 7 Old 12-23-2003, 04:30 PM

I am going to have to second the tin foil and baking soda mix. I also add 1 tsp of salt. It has to be hot, as in boiling water though. I put all of my silverware in, then pour the water over top.
It works really, really well. I polished my mom's silver for her last week. I usually get around to it about every 18 months or so. It actually got a lot of that tarnish off. This took me under an hour for a full tea service plus silver ware.
#7 of 7 Old 12-31-2003, 03:04 PM

I've found making a paste of just baking soda and water and allowing that to dry on the silver, and then to wipe off with a soft cloth under warm water works great.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page