baking soda as deodorant - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 03-21-2009, 05:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I started this a few days ago, since I ran out of my Dove antiperspirant and have decided to stay away from aluminum-containing antiperspirants.

After showering, I take a small amount of baking soda, pat it under my arms and then dress.

I have had NO sweating and NO odor. I even skipped a day of showering, and didn't reapply...and at the end of the 2nd day I took a sniff and I was shocked to find that I still smelled fresh.

Go Baking Soda.

Loving mother, Devoted Wife
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 03-21-2009, 05:08 AM

That is so cool!! I think I will try that especially since baking soda is so cheap. I think some baking soda though is made with aluminum so you might want to check that out. I know I buy mine at Sprouts or Whole Foods and it states on the box - aluminum-free

Kate, Wife to DH and Mommy to a 5yo lovin' DS; three angels 4/08 9/08 3/10 in Heaven,
waitin' for my baby

#3 of 15 Old 03-21-2009, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovbeingamommy View Post
That is so cool!! I think I will try that especially since baking soda is so cheap. I think some baking soda though is made with aluminum so you might want to check that out. I know I buy mine at Sprouts or Whole Foods and it states on the box - aluminum-free
I love baking soda, too!

I thought it was baking powder that sometimes contains aluminum -- possibly some baking soda, too -- but I'm not sure why. I buy arm & hammer in a huge bag in Costco and use it for all sorts of things -- it will last years, most likely.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baking_powder#Aluminum

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Does_sodiu...ntain_aluminum

ETA: I read an article that talks about how some baking soda is man-made and others are mined from the ground. The one that is mined is supposed to be better for you because it doesn't use any chemicals in the process. One of these brands is Bob's Red Mill. As far as adding aluminum to the product, as far as I know baking powder sometimes contains it and sometimes it doesn't -- I know of no baking soda which does.
#4 of 15 Old 03-21-2009, 10:40 AM

I did sort of the same thing. I ran out of deodorant, and have been using cornstarch . It works very well. It's messy, but less so if I put it on *after* getting dressed- just scoop some in my hand and reach up under my shirt to apply it. Otherwise it gets all over the clothes when I dress.

I also use cornstarch on my feet to keep them dry in socks and on the roots of my hair to soak up oil so I don't have to wash as often. I buy the cornstarch and then transfer it to an old baby powder bottle, so it comes out more easily, with the holes.

Saving money!!
#5 of 15 Old 03-21-2009, 03:17 PM

I use baking soda as deodorant, too. It's so cheap and works so well.

Lauren
Mama to one awesome little girl and her adorable baby brother.
#6 of 15 Old 03-21-2009, 04:01 PM

Yeah, I tried that and really loved how well it worked, but after 4 or 5 days I started breaking out under my arms. Now I use it occasionally, but I cant use it regularly
#7 of 15 Old 03-21-2009, 04:37 PM

It works for me, too. I only use it every so often, otherwise I am happy with kiss my face deodorant (alum-free).

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#8 of 15 Old 03-21-2009, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okapi View Post
Yeah, I tried that and really loved how well it worked, but after 4 or 5 days I started breaking out under my arms. Now I use it occasionally, but I cant use it regularly

Maybe if you mix it with some shea butter or coconut oil. That's what keeps the break outs to a minimum for me.
#9 of 15 Old 03-21-2009, 08:55 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I don't use baking soda alone as deodorant. I use it mixed with water as a scrub, then rinse or spritz with acv (don't wash it off), then apply a little coconut oil when the vinegar is dry. It makes for a bit longer of a routine, but I've been doing it for a couple of years now and have NO issues with odor, breakouts, or irritation. If I want, I can do it every other day and just use coconut oil without the first two steps on the other days.

Mama to DS1 (12/07), DS2 (4/11), and DD (6/22/14)
Finally diagnosed with APS after 3 s (11/09, 3/10, 7/13)
#10 of 15 Old 03-22-2009, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sihaya View Post
I don't use baking soda alone as deodorant. I use it mixed with water as a scrub, then rinse or spritz with acv (don't wash it off), then apply a little coconut oil when the vinegar is dry. It makes for a bit longer of a routine, but I've been doing it for a couple of years now and have NO issues with odor, breakouts, or irritation. If I want, I can do it every other day and just use coconut oil without the first two steps on the other days.
My routine is similar to your routine. I use bs as a scrub and then rinse with diluted ACV but I rinse it off in the shower. Then I apply coconut oil with eos and top with bs if I think I am going to sweat a lot that day. With the ACV you don't smell it when it is dry even if you don't rinse it off right? How often do you have to do this routine to keep the stink at bay? I am lucky if I can shower 2x a week so adding bs in the morning before I start to stink on the days I can't shower goes a long way!:

Sugaree hippie mama: to one perfect daughter 9/07: one money-pit:
We : we share a:Right now we are: :
#11 of 15 Old 03-22-2009, 10:09 PM

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! I'm trying the BS mixed w/ coconut oil for now. We'll see how it goes.
#12 of 15 Old 03-26-2009, 06:44 PM

Not to be nosey, but how much do y'all sweat in general? Hubby and I are both unhappy with our antiperspirants and willing to explore alternatives. But hubby has a high-profile job and can't go around with gigantic sweat stains. Even the antiperspirants don't stop his sweat, but they're doing a good job of ruining his designer shirts and suits.

Has anyone used essential oils with the baking soda? I read that elsewhere and was thinking of trying it. Tea tree or orange, me thinks.
#13 of 15 Old 03-31-2009, 09:00 AM

Here's a recipe I found:

1/4 c baking soda
1/4 c corn starch
20 or so drops of essential oil (they recommend either tea tree or lavender, i used lavender)
2 Tbls coconut oil

Mix the powders and ess oil. Add the coco oil. Mix together thoroughly. Pack into a deo container. Let dry out a few days. This makes a solid deo.

I sweat quite a bit. I was a little unsure about this but I know bs works fine for me, except I also break out if I use too much. You could leave out the coco oil and use it as a powder dusted under your arm. I think it's going to work good for me, but yesterday was my first day to use it.....

intactivist.gifwinner.jpg fambedsingle2.gif  learning.gif homeschool.gif buddamomimg1.png gd.gif delayedvax.gif selectivevax.gif  supermod.gif (Yeah right)

angel3.gif loss 2/28/03           photosmile2.gif  ds 1/5/08             asl.gif dd 2/8/10

When we know better, we do better. ~Maya Angelou 

#14 of 15 Old 04-04-2009, 11:27 AM

For the person questioning about sweat....
I find when you block those sweat glands, your body is working really really hard to sweat through it. Once you allow your body to adjust to not having to over produce, you can use just deodorant. And, of course the type of clothing you wear will impact any smell. I find synthetics make me sweat and smell.

I baking soda deo! I'm wearing it right now And, it even works with hairy pits and doesn't make them flashy white. *(.)(.)*

I use any kind of oil I have handy (currently jojoba or shea butter) and put a little on the pits, and then tab on some sodium bicarbonate. I sometimes use lavender oil, but it makes me feel kind of hot and like I have heart burn (??). So, I've cut back.

Birth Attendant. Placenta Encapsulator. Reiki Practitioner. Vegan. Aspiring Midwife. Breastfeeding Educator Student. Two years of trying for our love child.
#15 of 15 Old 04-08-2009, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theorist View Post
Not to be nosey, but how much do y'all sweat in general?
My experience was that baking soda totally eliminated BO for days but did not noticeably impact the amount of sweat. I sweat buckets, and have to wear undershirts under dress clothes to avoid soaking wet 'pits.

For me, the baking soda worked if I scrubbed with it in the shower AND applied it after showering. Neither on its own worked. Unfortunately, after doing it for about a year I started getting rashes from it and I've had to switch to coconut oil, which so far I'm not too impressed with.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page