Mothering Forum banner

Old house woes ... Lead exposure- Anyone relate?

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Quirky 
#1 ·
We recently bought our first house, built in 1925 and recently remodeled, which I loved until I found out that my DD tested positive for lead (level of 7...10 is low lead poisoning) and now I am freaked. I can hardly keep up the house as it is, but now I feel like I should be wet mopping the house down every day. I wonder if it's from the doorway and window ledges, which chip paint occasionally or what. My DD is also big on putting everything she finds into her mouth at this age. I almost want to pick up and move. Anyone else worry about lead exposure?
I need some sound advice so I don't lose it here.
Thanks,

#2 ·
My son tested at 3 and our ped said not to worry about it since it wasn't at 10.........is your doc worrying about it at 7?

I would definitely paint over whatever is chipping, though. And you can have your actual paint tested for lead.......not all old houses have lead exposure. (Your child could be getting lead from somewhere else in the environment.)

Look into chelation therapy if you need to get the lead out of her system. Is she developing normally, language-wise and everything?

#3 ·
I think you're definitely right to be concerned. Not to be alarmist, but there were studies done recently that showed deleterious effects of lead at levels lower than 10. Essentially, there is no safe level of lead. It's just bad stuff.

Not to panic, though. Obviously the higher the number the worse it is, and the good news is that if you get rid of the source exposure that the lead levels drop and likely with the numbers you are looking at right now no long term harm will be done.

The first and most important step is to get a certified lead inspector into your house to figure out what the sources of lead exposure are. You might then need to hire a certified lead abatement contractor to get rid of the sources.

You can also do a lot yourself to clean up lead dust - use a Swiffer wet jet or a Clorox equivalent (something with wet pads that are disposable, do not use a reusable mop as you will just move the dust around). Clean with these and throw the pads away. Whatever you do, do not scrape old paint, and if you have lead in your windows and doors try not to open and shut them, as the friction causes the lead paint to flake.

Do not do any chelation therapy before you get rid of the sources of lead contamination. If you chelate while lead is still in the environment, it will cause your child to absorb more lead.

Here are some links that you should check out:

http://www.afhh.org/

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/lead/lead.htm

http://www.epa.gov/opptintr/lead/index.html

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/lead/CaseMan...anage_main.htm

You should also run a search on lead on these boards as the topic has been discussed several times before and you'll probably find some helpful information in those threads.

HTH!

#4 ·
One major, often-overlooked source of lead is the dirt outside and other surroundings. In older towns and cities, the dirt has a lot of lead, not only from chipping paint, etc, but also from the past exhaust from leaded gasoline. Does your dd play outside? Dust from shoes is another way that super-leaded dirt can get into your home.

#5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Jane

The first and most important step is to get a certified lead inspector into your house to figure out what the sources of lead exposure are. You might then need to hire a certified lead abatement contractor to get rid of the sources.

Our house is almost 125 yrs old, and Aidan tested positive for lead, a 7, IIRC, but a couple of months ago it was "less than 5", so things are doing better.

Our state has a really neat program. They sent someone out to test it, and showed us where the problem areas were. In 2 weeks they are coming to the house to clean up all the lead
We got a $6K grant and a $4K loan (that doesn't get repaid until we sell the house, and if we live here long enough, it gets cut in half). We are getting all new windows, they are redoing our wood floors
and, they are getting rid of all the lead. I'm excited, but not looking forward to the packing and cleaning that has to happen before they come up, its gonna be a freakin' nightmare.

In the spring, we will be building a patio in one of our problem areas, and we will be putting a lot more flowers up against the house. This whole area is full of old houses and the dirt is totally containamated (sp?).

Don't worry about a 7, but don't not worry either. Be proactive and find out where your lead is coming from.

hth
Amy

#9 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.