Anyone know how to get color bleeding on clothes out? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-03-2004, 12:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I mistakenly washed a new red tablecloth with other clothes and a few things got tinted red.

Anyone have luck getting this out? Im soaking 4 shirts in oxyclean.....didnt know what else to use as 2 are gray and 1 is light blue, 1 is light purple.
#2 of 6 Old 01-05-2004, 01:37 PM

I was coming on here to post this exact same question. While at my MIL's house, some of my white cotton undies, white cotton w/flowers long johns, and several white socks somehow became light blue. None of the other things were stained. This never happens when I do laundry (I'm almost obsessively complusively anal), so I'm really not used to it. I did have one experience in college when one of my house mates had used the washing machine to dye something red and did not run the machine afterwards. Then, I took them out and ran the machine a couple of times to clean it and then soaked them in the machine in borax and washed them a few times after that and they were still pink tinged. It still took a couple of months to get them back to white again. This isn't very much, so I'm worried about washing them with my other whites. I don't want them to tinge my other whites. But I would think they would just stay dingy if I wash them with darks. It could be months before I could put them outside to get back to white by the sun, which is another thought of mine. Maybe I should do like you and get a bucket of warm water to soak them in. Since I live in France, I don't have oxyclean, so I'll have to use borax instead. Guess I need to put the bucket someplace high so that DS will not get into it.

: madrone - : SAHM to 12 y.o. DS, : 9 y.o. DD, and : 4 y.o. DS
#3 of 6 Old 01-05-2004, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for answering!
All the info I found said to soak in some kind of color safe bleach (clorox 2) But all I had was Oxy. I just pulled them out after soaking for 3 days....the water was tinged red and it looks like its all out, but hard to tell when theyre wet. I wont put them in dryer as that will set the dye.

I dont know if BORAX will work.......It says on the box that it can be used for stains. I have found baking soda to whiten also! 1/2 cup with my dipes soaked overnight in hot water would actually whiten them! Maybe try that.

If your garments are white.....You could use bleach......even a small amount should help. There is also a product by RIT called DYE REMOVER or Color Remover that works great, esp on whites and is easier on clothes than bleach. But might be hard to find in France.

Whatever you do, dont put them in dryer.

I also did a few rinses too. Im goign to put them thru a wash and let them line dry......hope this works as one shirt was my absolute fav!

Good luck.........Im pretty anal about my laundering....but I didnt think this thing would bleed......just was in a hurry.
#4 of 6 Old 01-05-2004, 02:57 PM

Thank you for answering. I'm going to try baking soda. MIL doesn't have a dryer, so thankfully they were lined dried before. I believe I may have some rit color remover upstairs in with my sewing stuff that I planned on using on some fabric that I bought a couple of years ago for a dollar. If the baking soda doesn't work, I may go ahead and get out that fabric and do that along with the undies and socks. The long johns have flowers on them that are really cute and I don't want to get rid of the flowers. I hope that the baking soda will work for that.

Glad that yours is looking better. Take care, Tiff

: madrone - : SAHM to 12 y.o. DS, : 9 y.o. DD, and : 4 y.o. DS
#5 of 6 Old 01-05-2004, 03:24 PM

Hot water soak with Calgon.
#6 of 6 Old 01-05-2004, 09:19 PM

I use oxy and then wash with one of those color-catcher sheets... dunno how much that part helps...but I save a fuzbaby that way. And DON'T send it through the dryer!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page