Does washing hair with baking soda damage it? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 04-14-2009, 11:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been washing my hair with baking soda and rinsing with acv. I really like it so far (it's been two weeks). Is it possible that the baking soda will damage my hair though? I was thinking about this as I scoured my sink with baking soda and Dr. Bronner's tonight and as I rubbed baking soda fairly diluted with water on my face and felt irritation. I don't want to start having breakage or other damage down the road. Does anyone know?
#2 of 7 Old 04-15-2009, 12:02 AM

I've been washing my hair with baking soda and vinegar for over two years now and my hair has never been healthier.
I guess it's possible, and most stylists and estheticians insist it will, but that hasn't been my experience at all.
I don't even get split ends anymore.
#3 of 7 Old 04-15-2009, 11:16 AM

does the rinsing with the vinegar help it not have the "sticky" feeling, I have just started washing w/ bs...how much do you all use. I have very long hair and feel like Im only really getting the top scoured
#4 of 7 Old 04-15-2009, 12:08 PM

The vinegar is an important part of the mix. It balances the pH of the baking soda. I imagine that if you only used BS and no vinegar that it would break your hair after a while. It could break it down chemically.

The intention of the BS/V cleaning is that if your scalp is clean, your hair will be clean too. The oils come from your scalp, and not from your hair, afterall.

I found it a bit drying, and I've recently added aloe to my vinegar rinse. Love it!

My regimen: 1 Tbs baking soda dissolved into 8 oz warm water (I use a peri bottle) and pour it over my head, focusing on the roots. Scrub with finger tips, rinse. Then I use 1 ounce of a 1:8 dilution of vinegar. Pour it on, let it sit a minute, rinse (no more scrubbing).

Aven
#5 of 7 Old 04-15-2009, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

I do use ACV. Thanks for the info! I'll keep doing it then because I love it. My hair looks better than it used to and I get more of the natural wave in it without adding anything.

I bought two bottles at Bed Bath & Beyond. Like the kind you can put icing or condiments in. I use 1 TBSP baking soda to 1 cup warm water and in the other 1 TBSP AVC, 6 drops orange essential oil and 1 cup warm water.
#6 of 7 Old 04-17-2009, 06:41 PM

:

thanks, I just started this regimen last week. you should post in another month or so and let us know how it's going for you - I've read where many people said it took six weeks or so to really get their hair/scalp really healthy. I know my curls are already way less dry.

Sarah, WAHM and partner to incredible DH, mama to DS (10/08) and DS (6/10). Missing baby boy lost at 13 wks 12/19/12. angel2.gif

#7 of 7 Old 04-17-2009, 06:58 PM

My hair was much healthier when I used baking soda and ACV ( my scalp was another story).As soon as I started using shampoo again a ton of hair broke off.I just couldn't get my scalp to stop being disgusting.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page