Ack! Spring = mosquitoes = repellent questions - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 04-27-2009, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So at my son's first Little League practice of the season this evening I realized something... I'm pregnant. Bug spray. Eek! I live in a very mosquito-heavy area and the mosquitoes find me especially delicious. Sadly I've yet to find a natural repellent that keeps them from devouring me and used more nasty DEET than I'd like in the past two years (since I moved into my heavily wooded town).

Now that I'm pregnant it seems a worse idea than ever. But in a couple months we'll be hearing about West Nile and Eastern Equine Encephalitis... Six of one, half dozen of the other.

Anyone know of something natural that works and/or the safety of using DEET repellent during pregnancy? I lived in the city when I was pregnant with #1 and it wasn't an issue. I plan on asking at my first appointment, but that's not 'til the 18th and I've got baseball practices Mondays, games Saturday (though that's daytime, less buggy), and we're going to be outdoors more and more now that it's warming up.

Thanks in advance!
#2 of 24 Old 04-27-2009, 11:43 PM

Good question....I'm looking for something too. We live in the woods, it is already buggy here since we've been having a heat wave this weekend, and my legs are covered in bites from the dang flies that came out. Usually I use the OFF stuff, but being pregnant and than breastfeeding, that isn't going to work.

I bought some citronella patches and they did nothing.

Loving WAHM/Student Mommy to DD (6.5) and DS (2.5)  

#3 of 24 Old 04-28-2009, 12:04 AM
Banned

One of the most effective mosquito repellants is Avon Skin So Soft products (assuming you can stand the smell, lol). They're not that 'natural' but better than DEET. I'm sure there are some natural brands too though. Maybe another poster will give a recommendation for those.
#4 of 24 Old 04-28-2009, 01:17 AM

I also use the skin so soft oil as bug repellent. I figure it's better than OFF. Cutter has a new bug repellent out that doesn't use deet, but I haven't looked up any info on it.
#5 of 24 Old 04-28-2009, 01:28 AM

heat & humidity + pregnancy = me inside with AC cranked.

a little bug repellent on your clothes, and not your skin should be minimal risk.

there are citronella wristbands you can wear that actually do help; I've used them with my kids in past summers. I got them at a drug store. They're plastic stretchy coil-y things

Stinkerton 12/10/01 9lbs8oz, induced to c/s; Little Man 5/20/03 7lbs11oz, r c/s, fear of another labor; Jillybean 11/18/07 10lbs8oz 37cm head, induced VBA2C; and the Wee Beastie, 9lbs8oz, 35cm head, rpt VBA2C
#6 of 24 Old 04-28-2009, 01:32 AM

The EWG's Skin Deep Database has info on the safety of bug sprays:

http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/wor...llant&&start=0

I'd check there.
#7 of 24 Old 04-28-2009, 02:22 AM

I just saw a commercial on TV for a product by OFF (I think) that is a small clip-on gadget (looks kinda like an air freshener or something). It claims to keep them away without putting anything on your skin. (I'm guessing you probably breathe it though?) I have no idea if it really works.
#8 of 24 Old 04-28-2009, 02:36 AM

We use Burt's Bees natural bug repellent and that works great for us.

Also, ask your Dr about taking a vitamin B-1 supplement. We always took that as kids when we lived in the mountains (lots of mosquitoes!) and it worked GREAT!!
#9 of 24 Old 04-28-2009, 03:16 AM

I have to say Burt's Bee's bug stuff has worked pretty well for me in the past. I also find eating garlic keeps the bugs away, but not everyone likes garlic as much as I do

Belly Dancing, Tattooed, Veggy, Mum to DS 8/16/09 Married to a : Tattooed Geek at home with Dot and Dash fur babies : <-- pretend I am a rat
#10 of 24 Old 04-28-2009, 08:20 AM

I use the Insect Repel Spray from Flutterbye Aromatics. It's great stuff. I'm a mosquito magnet, and I have worn this stuff in a field near woods and a pond that was filled with mosquitoes and I didn't get a single bite. I couldn't believe it. And that was before she started putting catnip in it, which is supposed to work as well as DEET.

I also used to wear this stuff to bed at my old house, as I'd always get bitten overnight otherwise. Unlike Off, this is safe to leave on your skin as long as you need to.
#11 of 24 Old 04-28-2009, 09:09 AM

Bug coats/ mosquito nets are my recommendation.

I wouldn't touch Skin-So-Soft w/ a 10 ft. pole. Not as nasty as DEET...but.

There are a range of essential oils that work, but you have to reapply regularly. The mosquito nets work wonders, really, as unflattering as they might be
#12 of 24 Old 04-28-2009, 09:47 AM

A little strange I know, but we heard this from my FIL last summer and it TOTALLY works - LISTERINE. The nasty original flavor. Spray it everywhere around your house or wherever you'll be and it keeps mosquitos away. Don't know how or why but it was amazing. I don't see why you couldn't spray a bit on your clothes as well, especially if you'll be walking around at a park or hiking or whatever.

*Meghan* - Mom to Sam (5/14/08) and Joseph Scott born 9/10/09! and wife to amazing hubby Mike : ! WE LOVE OUR : FAMILY!
#13 of 24 Old 04-28-2009, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasslynn View Post
We use Burt's Bees natural bug repellent and that works great for us.

Also, ask your Dr about taking a vitamin B-1 supplement. We always took that as kids when we lived in the mountains (lots of mosquitoes!) and it worked GREAT!!
I'll 3rd the Burt's Bees. I'm in MN where the mosquitoes are our state bird. It has worked well for us.

Married to my favorite man, homeschoolin' mama to a question-asking bug hunter (6) ; a twirling, shy, silly girl (4); a hurricane of boy energy (2), and expecting #4 in April 2014.
#14 of 24 Old 04-28-2009, 04:25 PM
ck1

I swear by Dermatone Herbal Insect Repellent: http://www.rei.com/pwr/product-revie...ay-4-7-oz.html

Purchased here: http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/...CS_010=68839WC

It really works! Keep in mind that repelling mosquitoes is about confusing their ability to pick up your CO2 output. We live on the river and have horrible mosquitoes. Just to go outside I have to put on a long sleeve shirts and pants in 90 degree heat or I'll get bit. I use this repellent throughout the summer and it's just awesome! It's safe for kids, and has a perfume smell, and doesn't feel heavy.

The only problem I think, is the perfume smell might be kind of strong if you're pregnant. Avon's Skin so Soft has a strong smell, too, but I never had much success with Avon's stuff, except to put on so much the bugs drowned.
#15 of 24 Old 04-28-2009, 04:29 PM
Banned

Skin So Soft works for me, but the smell is pretty awful imo...and I think I might DIE smelling it pregnant!
#16 of 24 Old 04-28-2009, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, great responses, thank you!

Hm, this gives me a lot to think about. I have tried Burt's Bees, unsuccessfully, in the past. Last time was probably around '04, I don't know if it's been reformulated since then or not. Loved the way it smelled, though.

I remember my mom advocating Avon Skin So Soft in the 90s. I think it smells meh. ck1 how do you think the Dermatone smell compares? My nose hasn't become terribly sensitive yet but I could see Skin So Soft grossing me out, it just smells a bit like "old lady perfume" to me.

The Flutterbye sounds interesting, too! I'll have to compare and contrast some prices. and in the meantime, I just happen to have some nasty old Listerine I'll never use (after a yucky dentist I no longer see suggest I use it). It's worth a shot!

learnlovebe, my BIL and SIL from MN visited us last summer and told us we had way more mosquitoes than them! I was complaining when we were out back one evening and saying it was probably nothing for them and was shocked to hear SIL say we had more! Of course they live somewhere in the Twin Cities suburbs, I imagine it's worse farther out!
#17 of 24 Old 04-28-2009, 05:40 PM

I think they have changed the Burt's Bees formula because my sister had some and it isn't as effective. Her's was mostly lemongrass and mine has a whole slew of essential oils in it.

I'll have to remember the Listerine thing, because you could spray it on your clothes, unlike the Burt's Bees-its too oily.
#18 of 24 Old 04-28-2009, 10:39 PM

I have had good luck with the Badger Balm natural insect repellant:
http://www.badgerbalm.com/pc-21-9-anti-bug-balm.aspx
It's organic, smells nice, and works for me. Your mileage may vary!

Spiralshell -- Mama to David Nathaniel, born October 2009. And so you see I have come to doubt all that I once held as true. I stand alone without belief, the only truth I know is you.
#19 of 24 Old 04-28-2009, 11:07 PM

We have a lot of bugs here and have been taking our DS on backpacking/ camping trips since he was 2 months old. I tried a lot of stuff (neem oil, various natural brands) and my favorite so far is Buzz Away extreme. http://www.quantumhealth.com/product...chandbite.html

I will say that it doesn't work nearly as good as Deet, but it did work. If you do use DEET, try to use it on your clothes, hatbands and so on, rather than directly on skin.

Even the natural products often say not to use on kids under 2, but my understanding is that it is because no studies have been done, not that they are likely to be unsafe.
#20 of 24 Old 04-29-2009, 02:07 AM

Moved to Natural Body Care.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#21 of 24 Old 05-03-2009, 07:20 PM

There is a lady local to us who makes an all natural bug spray that I really like. She originally intended it for dogs, but its really just EOs in an olive oil base (IIRC).

Here's a link to her site
http://3psoap.com/

That's funny, I don't see the spray on her site. It's kind of a tricky site to navigate, but Carissa (the woman who makes all the stuff) is GREAT to work with. Very prompt with contacts, and I love her products.

mommy to Christopher 2/29/08
#22 of 24 Old 05-14-2009, 06:11 PM

My fave is Bite Blocker. It's soybean based... i think it has geranium oil too, which gives it a fairly strong floral smell. It doesn't wash off well, I'll tell you that! When we use it and then take a shower, I can still smell it on my arm if I sniff. But since it's not DEET or whatever, I can live with that. My DH, on the other hand, doesn't want to smell like flowers, so it bothers him.
#23 of 24 Old 05-14-2009, 06:41 PM

I like B-12. I went from getting eaten everytime I go outside to not getting any bits.

Don't know how it would effect the taste of your breastmilk, though.
#24 of 24 Old 05-14-2009, 11:58 PM

Huh. Avon didn't get such good reviews at EWG. According to EWG, the Burts Bees spray is basically a collection of EO: citronella, rosemary, lemongrass, and grape seed oil. I think it would be pretty easy to make a homemade EO spray of the first three. Has anyone tried that successfully?
Aven

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page